Clicking noise in rear wheel / axle

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not the entire rotation but part of it I'll hear it. Not always just a click but screeching might better describe it. It does this part of the time, not all the time.

aarkie

Check the ujoints and the drive shaft. A bad ujoint will be clicking and the drive shaft could have a lot of play and make a noise.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My '05 RTV's ujoints ,when going out,made a click and it had a slight hesitation when moving from a stopped position. This was the cracked u joint slack making the hesitating movement. I would also check the lug nuts and just make sure they aren't loose. You might have a dry bearing in the wheel too. I would just jack the rear up off the ground,and do an inspection... turning , twisting, and looking for anything moving that shouldn't. There is also a "crown" nut that fits on the end of the axle shaft and has a cotter pin going through the "castles" ,it keeps the nut from moving.. Make sure it isn't loose. Good Luck ! collie.

Mark.Sibole

does it do it with the rear diff locked unlocked or both?
Could be any one of the 4 rear u joints or the diff lock may not be engauging all the way or unlocking all the way.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Not the entire rotation but part of it I'll hear it. Not always just a click but screeching might better describe it. It does this part of the time, not all the time.

Doc, I would also take a look at the carrier bearing there below the seat
where the front and rear drive shafts meet. I know that the noise is thought to be coming from the rear, so it is most probably the ujoints, but just thought I would mention this. When mine started acting up , it would screech something crazy. no clicking though....I sprayed it with some oil to test and it quietened down- till I could get one.. that was the second time I replaced it.. the first time, it went out ,I was in the drive way...- it just fell apart and it rode like a log wagon till I could get to the barn.. Good luck! collie.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I also notice the RTV sitting loop sided to the driver side, the side where I'm hearing the noise. I doubted the two have anything to do with each other but just in case they do I figured I'd mention it.

If it is the u joint ...does it hurt to continue driving it ...is the u joint likely to break ...how much is the repair if I do it vs having the shop do it? Did one of you do this repair and post pics of the process (I'm hoping)?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Look at the thread I started and many participated in.. "Ujoints needed again" or something like that. I don't know what your shop would charge but back when I had my first encounter with it... They wanted up to a grand for both sides...
I would not drive it. The splined shaft can be damaged... you will be left on the back forty or the thing could come apart.. Jack it up and give an inspection.. The bearings could be shot inside the "tube bumper" holding the axles and the continued use could waller it out and that would be real expensive to replace that.. I will try to find the link.. Worked 14 hrs yesterday so late getting out today.. edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=110056#post110056

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wish I could give you more than one thanks for that info BC. Thanks so much. A huge help. :tiphat:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
............. reminds me of the old Amond Joy commercial.

>>>>>>>>>>>> Sometimes you feel like a nut !!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>> Sometimes you DON'T !!!!

.......... :thewave:
................ two guns:a1:

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Doc,

Jack the rear end up so both wheels are free from Mother Earth.

Then rotate and spin each and see what is different between the left and right.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hoping to have time to do that tonight. I have a couple of guys coming to look at a jeep I have for sale so I'll have to squeeze this in. We'll see how it goes and will report back tomorrow.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
You know that piece of wire that used to stick out of the mud on the way to the river, maybe it is wound around under there.:wave:

rjglenn

Mine was doing that for a while. One day I noticed the left rear tire was tilted. I jacked it up and it would wobble. Sure enough both bearings where the drive shaft passed through the axel were completely destroyed. I had to cut the hub off to get it apart. Ended up being about $600 in parts to repair it but I did all the ujoints while I had it apart.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No piece of wire Muley. :D

Thanks rjglenn. How many hours were on your RTV when this happened? I'm just at 700.

rjglenn

Around 1100. I royally screwed up the threaded end of the drive shaft putting it back together so next time I'll have to buy all of it.