underground oil tank

Ron Leard

I finally got a 35 year old, 500 gallon oil tank, removed from my property. Its been haunting me for awhile. Eventhough I got all the oil I could out, it still had @ 15 gallons. It surprised me that the contactor only used a smaller skid steer with back-hoe attachment to dig it out. Cost me $2500.00, but, beats having it leak. It started leaking after it was pulled from ground. Apparently, the contractor has to clean it all out and cut it in half before it can be recycled.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on getting it out. That could be an EPA nightmare. Way to go. :tiphat: :applause:

Ron Leard

Thank you.... Problem with U/G oil tanks is the sludge that builds in the tank. Apparently, it eats at the tank from the inside out, causing leaks. I did find it interesting that if, after excavation, they would discover a leak, they throw fertilizer on the surrounding effected ground to eat up the sludge. Then, of course, the soil has to be properly disposed. Luckily, we didn't find a history of leaks with this tank. Apparently, alot of people placed these tank in the ground during the early 1970's fuel crises.