Wish I would've had a camera

jwstewar

Staff member
Saw a couple things last night on the way home that were weird. Wish I would've had the camera ready.

First one was a road grader type machine. Except it only had 4 tires. It wasn't as long as a normal grader, but a little longer than a typical loader type machine. On the back of the machine were big rippers like you would see on the back of a dozer - I've seen these on graders before. Now here is where it gets weird. It had a loader bucket on the front of it. This was probably a 2 or 3 yard bucket. Pretty cool looking machine. Couldn't see who it was made by as it was on a semi going the other direction.

The other thing I saw was a fire truck. What was weird about it, it had 2 fronts joined in the middle. Not sure if it was made to go into a tight street and be able to back out if it couldn't get turned around or what. Couldn't tell much about it other than it had 2 fronts. It was being driven down the highway. It didn't look like a big truck. Maybe a show truck showing different cab options????

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Your grader could have been something like a Huber Maintainer, which has been around a long time. It is now made in Iberia, Ohio, by these folks: http://www.huberohio.com/. They used to be quite popular with smaller communities and counties. Pictures of some of their historical machines are on their website as well as the current model.

Fred

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I've never seen one like that Fred. Is that what you saw Jim. From your description I think Fred go it. :thumb:

jwstewar

Staff member
Nope, that isn't it. I've seen those in use before. That one is too "tractorish." This one was made more like a road grader and it wasn't a blade on the front it was a bucket - a 2 or 3 yard one. Don't forget it had the rippers on the back. I spent my lunch looking for pictures of it and the fire truck.:pat:

jwstewar

Staff member
Don't know for sure, but I don't think so. The front "beam" didn't look like it would be heavy enough to be articulated. I think it looked like the front tires would turn like a grade.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Champion Motor Graders in North Carolina produces a couple of single wheel drive models, the C60C and the C66C. They offer a loader attachment and a rear ripper attachment for these models as well, you can see their attachment brouchure here: http://www.championmotorgraders.us/content/pdfs/Attachments.pdf. I couldn't find a picture of one with the loader, but here is one of the grader with a front ripper. Their graders are articulated, with the joint at the front of the cab area. Austin-Western used to make single drive axle graders, but I never saw any mention of a utility loader for their graders.

Attachments

• C60B_FB_DSC_0395.jpg
    C60B_FB_DSC_0395.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 40

jwstewar

Staff member
Now we are getting there. This looks pretty daggone close to what I saw. http://www.championmotorgraders.us/content/C60-C66-gallery.html

Though the bucket looked larger than a 1/2 yard, I suppose it could've been "customized" for the customer.

It looked like a pretty neat machine. It looked like a one man/machine construction crew.

Thank ya Wannabe, this has been driving me crazy. Now on to the 2 headed Fire Truck.