New heavy duty springs on X900

tfdr1

I just got done swapping out the standard front spring assemblies for heavy duty ones on my new to me X900. I remembered to take before and after height measurements and figured I would post the pictures since I remember reading on one of the threads that they forgot to measure to see difference.

Dave

Attachments

• 20170319_151421.jpg
    20170319_151421.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20170319_160055.jpg
    20170319_160055.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 181

DEK

Wow! About 2 1/4" difference. Could you post a side picture of the RTV showing the side profile? I'm just curious what it looks like after the install.

Did you install only heavy springs or the whole spring shock assembly? Do you think you need to check wheel alignment? Was it difficult to change, about how long did it take? Use spring compressors?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious.

Nice job and great photos.

Last edited:

tfdr1

I replaced the whole assembly (part# V5219) so I wouldn't have to mess around with having to use spring compressors. All that I did was remove front wheels and undo the bolts on top and bottom of shocks, took about 45 minutes. If it was something that was driven on the road I might worry about alignment but this just chugs around the farm moving hay around for the horses. The reason for the upgrade was because I got a SnowDogg V plow and needed them to carry the weight.

On a totally unrelated topic, I also installed an Ice Crusher heater from Couper's Products and their customer support is outstanding.

Dave

Attachments

• 20170319_172008.jpg
    20170319_172008.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 173

DEK

Looks good and thanks for the complete reply.

How difficult was the heater install? Did the kit include an underhood barrier to seal off fresh air from entering the cab under the dash? Kubota heater kit has one. Did you get defrost kit, difficult to install with windshield in place? Hose connections and wiring pretty easy? Good heat?

I've been thinking about getting a heater and the Kubota heater is nice, but I see some difficulty drilling holes for vent tubing with the windshield installed. And it's about $100 more. The Ice Crusher looks like a neat installation when finished.

tfdr1

I didn't do the heater install in one shot, I mounted the main unit one day then a few days later I did the vent work and the following weekend I did the tie in with the hoses. I would say I spent about 2½-3½ hours total with it. I got the optional defroster vents. The whole windshield frame assembly needs to be removed to be able to drill the 2" hole for the vent hose to come through the dash to feed defrosters. It takes about 10-15 minutes to remove it. The kit comes complete with everything you need to do the install including hole saws for vents and hoses. It doesn't come with anything to help seal up the cab though. It works pretty well as long as rpms are up to flow coolant. I need to seal up the cab more in the back as there's big gaps along the cab corners. It's definitely better than sitting on my tractor pushing snow around when the wind is blowing.

Attachments

• 20170319_185514.jpg
    20170319_185514.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 166

tfdr1

One other thing I forgot to mention about the kits from Couper's is that they include templates for drilling all the holes for vents and heater controls. They really do make it 99% idiot proof. I say 99% because I did end up drilling a 3" hole through dash instead of 2" and ended up drilling the 2" hole in the 3" piece that came out and epoxying it back in the dash :pat:. Just one of the joys of having my 6 year old help me and distracted me long enough to forget that I hadn't swapped to the smaller holesaw yet.

Dave

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Heavy Duty Front Suspension

I just got done swapping out the standard front spring assemblies for heavy duty ones on my new to me X900. I remembered to take before and after height measurements and figured I would post the pictures since I remember reading on one of the threads that they forgot to measure to see difference.

Dave

Thanks for your post. I find a bit of confusion regarding part numbers and price for the heavy duty front suspension for the X900. The local deal says the V5219 is now #K7731-18205 and it costs $317 per side! If you don't mind would you let me know what part number(s) you purchased and the price you paid total for both sides? Did you buy them locally or through the net? Thanks very much for the information. Biff

tfdr1

I ordered mine through Ahearn Equipment in Spencer, MA and those are the correct part numbers. They came as a pair in one box and I think I paid $308.

Dave

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Dave,
Thanks very much for the confirming information. I called the local dealer many hours ago and got the price, but also wanted them to confirm that it is for two not one. He could not confirm that and said it looked like one. He is checking and I am waiting. I don't have much confidence in this place so I am extra cautious. The price is $315.79 so I probably can safely assume it is a complete set. I appreciate your information and help.

tfdr1

Attached is the paperwork from the HD shocks in case you didn't check out the post i linked to.

Bushings

Upper bushing K7591-18242

Lower bushing K7591-17650

4 of each are needed.

Dave

Attachments

• 20170326_152202.jpg
    20170326_152202.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 94

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The Dealer did finally get back to me and said the $315 price was for 1! I said I have seen your copy of the the Instruction Manual and listing of components in the box and it lists 2! He said he would look into it. He called back latter saying yes there is a set in the box and the price is $249 plus $40 in shipping. He first quoted me $315 so I am not convinced the place knows what is going on. I ordered the set and we will see.

tfdr1

I guess this is a prime example of the saying "Just because someone does something for a living, doesn't mean they are good at it"

I hope they get it right.

Dave

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Just my 2 cents.

Posts like this is just another example of what a GREAT Forum this is. Valuable information freely given just to help out another RTV owner. I can only imagine the dollars it has saved, let alone all the heartache and headaches it has prevented. There are many many folks here that give others of their experience and friendly advice.

This is just a shoutout and a thank you to all that make this such a great meeting place.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hows about helping DOC keep this place going with any kind of a "Support" donation that is given to allow him to keep this outfit alive>>>>>>????????

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
YEAH! After more than a month on backorder - the Heavy Load Damper Kit (K7591-99180)
arrived and I installed it right away. Took 45 minutes. What a difference! My front end sits a good two inches higher so when I put the Boss V-Plow on the plow now sits flat as it should when in the V mode. Before the front of the plow would sit more than an inch off the ground. When the plow is lifted the front end would dip down quite a bit. When I ordered the machine the dealer told me that I didn't need to spend the money on the heavy duty option - a $99 upgrade. The good news is that I was told the Heavy Damper Kit would cost $315, but when I went to pick it up I was charged only $235! A nice surprise. Thank you Dave for your supporting information.