Trouble making it up a hill.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looking for ideas on how to fix this hill. It's a tad steep but I have others that are the same angle.

The problem is about halfway up the hill is rock, so jagged edge of the rock juts out. The RTV hangs on these as the wheel spins. With multiple ATV's I can make it up the hill no problem.

My idea was to take a sledge hammer and bash the rocks so they are not jutting edges so the wheel will go over them. I could not bust the rodk.

I added gravel hoping to level it all out ....that didn't help, the gravel soon worked away ...RTV never made it up the hill.

Can't go out and around due to lay of land ....so I have to find a way to go through this obstacle.

ovrszd

This was the first negative I noticed. I added an inch suspension lift and 27" tires which helped.

Not sure that 2" of clearance would help you...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm I wonder if bigger tires woudl make the difference. as it is it is not a clearance issue but bigger tires need more clearance. I prefer not to change the center of gravity but ...it is worth consideration. How did you accomplish the 1 " lift on yours

New wheels and tires would be expensive but ....so would hiring a bull dozer.

I'll try to get a picture of the trouble spot as my words leave a lot to be desired in describing the issue.

ovrszd

I built my lift. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on rims so just bought tires.

Keep us posted on your solution. :)

harpoonalt

Rent a saw with a diamond blade and knock the top of it off. I used one around my yard to lop the tops off offending rocks I used to have to mow around. It's work, but it'll solve the problem.

Cheers!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, have you tried the rear diff lock?
Doc - If I'm understanding your description correctly, I have the same issue and use 4WD and diff lock to get over it (+ the hand throttle at 1/2 way).

Another possible option is to grade your trails using a rock rake or box blade and fill in the low positions around those rocks to level it out. I do this every couple of years. Also, grade your trails so no water flows over those rocks eroding the small stuff (fill) around it.

628pm

Site Supporter
How about using a drill with a masonry bit. Drill holes then split the rock with wedges. I don't know if this would help or not, but just a thought.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How about using a drill with a masonry bit. Drill holes then split the rock with wedges. I don't know if this would help or not, but just a thought.
Good thought ....the hill is 3 or 4 10th's of a mile from my house / power source. I've considered renting a jackhammer (if local rental places will rent those) ..then I have to wonder if my old back could handle the beating of a jackhammer. So, so far all I've done is think about it.
Thanks 628 for your thoughts.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, have you tried the rear diff lock?
I did try that one time when stuck on the hill. No joy. But I might have already spun the wheels to much so that the diff lock didn't have much of a chance. That was a few years ago ...and I've avoided the hill with the RTV. I have a couple other ways to get to the house from that point. Both longer but no big deal. I just know I should be able to pull this hill. Sledge idea did not help but I know there is a way.
Thanks for all the input guys. Pics coming later today.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Doc, I know a retired guy near Rutland who is a top gun backhoe operator. He is inexpensive and is good people. Have you considered have someone remove the rock or would that start the hill to sliding? Do you have a picture?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
If you have a generator and a skil saw your rolling! They sell diamond saw blades at hd or lowes that bolt right on for about $15 we used to cut patio stones that way. Just cut some slots In the stone and knock it out with a hammer

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
a few pics ....

At first I thought the rocks could be dug out. Nope, way to big. Like the tip of an iceberg ...most f the rock is below ground.

Attachments

• Hill-1.jpg
    Hill-1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Hill-1b.jpg
    Hill-1b.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Hill-2rocks.jpg
    Hill-2rocks.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 130

harpoonalt

I'd do the rental saw first with a big 12" diamond blade. Another alternative is to gets some bags of readymix cement and make a ramp that won't wash away, doesn't have to be pretty, just get rid of that step.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doc could you fill over the top of those with several inches of compacted earth (rent a plate compactor) or thin-mix cement?

Or build a bypass a foot or so alongside the obstacles? I had to do that to get my Subaru up this grade of loose cobbles a few years after this photo, after the 'road' had eroded even worse. I cut off all the little pines [on the left side] and drove with one side on that shoulder. That gave me the ground clearance I needed to get out of my mining claim in the Sierras.

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
CA, that is what I was considering ...with a dozer or backhoe. I had not considered a plate compactor.
Redimix would be easy. Easier than cutting on the stone ....and it migth just work. Good thinking guys. Thanks Harpoonalt :tiphat:

Taking the pics I remember that I do not even go up that hill with my Grand L 3010 with industrial tires. I'd spin those on the rocks and have to back down the hill. quick crete / ready mix seems the most doable option for me to try.

Generator and diamond blade saw would be 2nd. Thanks again all.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What do you guys think of this ...
I lay down a base of rock (size and type to be determined ...suggestions please)
Then put quick crete over top of it. Wet it down ....then more quick crete ...do this two or three times. I' thinking it would have a fair chance of holding and I could drive over it instead of spin.
A potential solution ...or do you have a better idea?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What do you guys think of this ...
I lay down a base of rock (size and type to be determined ...suggestions please)
Then put quick crete over top of it. Wet it down ....then more quick crete ...do this two or three times. I' thinking it would have a fair chance of holding and I could drive over it instead of spin.
A potential solution ...or do you have a better idea?

SVG

You’ll want to remove any loose debris then pour back with a monolithic pour if you can.
If you can’t you’re better off sectioning the pours horizontally than vertically.

My advice is to get a ramhoe up there and be done with it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You’ll want to remove any loose debris then pour back with a monolithic pour if you can.
If you can’t you’re better off sectioning the pours horizontally than vertically.

My advice is to get a ramhoe up there and be done with it.
Thanks but ...I do not know what you mean with a monolithic pour ....nor do I get what a ramhoe would do.
Are you saying a track hoe with a jackhammer? Yes sirree that sure would tear it up nicely. :thumb: