HOW DO U DIG A TRENCH OUTSIDE THE WHEEL BASE OF A TRACTOR

JIMHELLAS

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A TRACTOR ATTACHMENT THAT CAN DIG A DITCH OR TRENCH ON THE SIDE OF A TRACTOR FOR DRAINING WATER ON THE SIDE OF A ROAD. I CANNOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH THE TRACTOR TO EFFECTIVELY USE A BACK HOE. I HAVE TRIED A BACK BLADE ADJUSTED TO TIP ON ONE SIDE BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO GET MORE THAN A FEW INCHES DEEP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MAY HELP?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Jim. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.

I figure there has to be a way to do just that. I've used a potato plow to make a drainage trench but that was centered behind the tractor. I can sure see a use for one off to the side, in fact I have one chore that would be made possible if there is such a tool.
I'm hoping one of the others on here has the answer for both of us.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Since you got me thinking about the tool for this job I've search the internet and found lots of potential tools but none of the ones for a tractor will trench outside the wheel base. Darn it.

For me I'll have to use a ditch witch. Not a 3PH one but a free standing one with it's own power-train. For a drainage ditch they also mentioned that you could use a rototiller and go over the ground a few times to get down 4 or 6 inches and then use a shovel to get the loose dirt out of the ditch.

Any other ideas guys?

Bindian

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A TRACTOR ATTACHMENT THAT CAN DIG A DITCH OR TRENCH ON THE SIDE OF A TRACTOR FOR DRAINING WATER ON THE SIDE OF A ROAD. I CANNOT GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WITH THE TRACTOR TO EFFECTIVELY USE A BACK HOE. I HAVE TRIED A BACK BLADE ADJUSTED TO TIP ON ONE SIDE BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO GET MORE THAN A FEW INCHES DEEP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MAY HELP?

JIMHELLAS,:wave:
What is the reach on your backhoe? Sounds like you may need a bigger backhoe for the job. My Bradco 511 on my Mahindra 6520 reaches out 14.5 feet:wink:, so that would be about 11.5 feet past the side of the back tire.

You could buy one of these for your loader bucket and reach way forward........http://www.carrollequipment.com/2.5.07.htm $899 and add a ditching bucket to it.:wow:

Have you thought about adding Top n Tilt to your 3PH arms for your boxblade? One hyd. cylinder in place of the top link and one cylinder to a lift arm. You need 2 remotes to run this setup.

Are you using a box blade with adjustable ripper teeth on it?:idea:
hugs, Brandi:blob_blue:

ken8378

Look into a rear blade with tilt and offset. It will get you just past the wheel. If you need to go several feet out, you will have to go with a backhoe.

Rhinorider

You can do it with your back hoe. Put your tractor parallel with the ditch, place the FEL flat on the ground, set your outriggers against the ground till the just touch firmly, place your hoe bucket flat on the ground next to the ditch, lift the back of the tractor up with the hoe until the outriggers just break contact, using the boom swing set the back of the tractor stradle the ditch and dig away. The front of the tractor will pivot on the FEL and your tractor will be at approximately 45 degrees to the ditch. Reverse the process to get back, move down and repeat. Hope this helps. I know sounds scary :toiletpaper:, the first time is the worst, just take your time. Next time I will tell you how to jump across an open ditch.