Kubota TLB 21 jumps out of gear

Hard Starter

With increasing frequency, the hydrostatic transmission in my TLB 21 jumps out of gear when in mid-range, especially while climbing an incline. In addition, it has become very difficult to shift into low range. High range seems to be unaffected. While in gear the machine works fine: no grinding, skips, clunks, or other weird sounds or functions.

The transmission fluid level is normal or a bit high and the fluid is clear. Fluid and all trany filters were replaced 200 hours ago.

The machine is seven years old with 650 hours of residential usage, primarily by my better half.

My question is this. Is there some way I can correct the problem or is this a task for the dealership?

Speaking of "problem", what is the likely cause for this problem.

I thank one and all for any information or assistance provided.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My uneducated guess would be linkage. I had that happen to me one time on my L3010. I was on a steep incline. I think it was not seated all the way in gear but not sure. It has never done that again. Sure can be dangerous though, especially if you are on a hill.
I'm guessing this is a job for the dealer.

100 td

I have just purchased a B21 and it does the same, 750 hours, I am hoping that it's just the linkages, because I can see that the selector doesn't line up with the neutral slot, and is actually forwards of this position, meaning when you push it forwards in mid range it's not going in all the way like it should. Like I say, I am HOPING it is this. Otherwise I expect there is something worn in the box :( , let's hope not. Do you have a workshop manual?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your B21, and welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Hoping it's linkage or something not expensive to fix. Mine only did it once and I believe it was operator error in that I did not have it seated all the way in gear. I've put a couple hundred hours on since then and no issues.
Are you looking for a source for a workshop manual or just wondering if the orignal poster has the manual?

Hard Starter

Sorry, I do not have a shop manual. But, I have several local repair shops that work on tractors. I plan to canvas them in the near future, now that my ruptured right Achilles tendon has healed, and I'll keep you posted. Bruce

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man. That is worse than tractor problems. Glad your achilles has healed. I hear they are so so painful. It might be hard to push in the clutch, brake or the speed pedal. Getting old is not for sissies. Good luck with your healing. please do keep us posted on the resolution to this issue or whatever you find out on the way to resolution.