X1100C Air Cleaner question

hillbillybob

Let me start by saying I purchased a new X1100C a month and a half ago. Hour meter is now stands at 24. I'm new to this forum, and to the Kubota RTV brand, but have over 50 years of experience with diesel engines of all sizes. Owned a Kubota B-8200 for 24 years, ran as good the day I sold it, as it did the day I bought it.

I've noticed that the snorkel on the RTV's air cleaner, blows as much air out, as it sucks in. Before I pull the valve cover to check intake valve clearances, thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed this air exiting the intake snorkel. Seems if it were a tight intake valve, I would notice a rough running engine.....but it runs smooth, and starts in an instant, even with temps at 10*F.

Maybe it has something to do with that inner air filter..??

Lee1935

I've noticed that the snorkel on the RTV's air cleaner, blows as much air out, as it sucks in. Before I pull the valve cover to check intake valve clearances, thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed this air exiting the intake snorkel. Seems if it were a tight intake valve, I would notice a rough running engine.....but it runs smooth, and starts in an instant, even with temps at 10*F.

Maybe it has something to do with that inner air filter..??[/QUOTE]

I bought a the Kubota snorkel kit for my 2016 X900, the new filter was almost twice as big as the original and the 1st thing I noticed was the little rubber valve? that was pumping out air, a quick examination showed that the larger dust-dirt chunks gets kicked out rather than going through the filter

Took a photo of the valve, but posting pictures on this forum I guess is reserved for computer experts

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Let me start by saying I purchased a new X1100C a month and a half ago. Hour meter is now stands at 24. I'm new to this forum, and to the Kubota RTV brand, but have over 50 years of experience with diesel engines of all sizes. Owned a Kubota B-8200 for 24 years, ran as good the day I sold it, as it did the day I bought it.

Maybe it has something to do with that inner air filter..??

What is your testing process?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Mine does the same thing! If I stick my hand in front of the intake it feels like its blowing but if you cover it you can really feel the suction. I dangled a rag in front of it and it blew it away from the intake but same thing if it cover it the rag gets sucked in.
Someone smarter than I can maybe explain it but rest assured it is normal!

hillbillybob

Alaskanassasine said: "Mine does the same thing! If I stick my hand in front of the intake it feels like its blowing but if you cover it you can really feel the suction. I dangled a rag in front of it and it blew it away from the intake but same thing if it cover it the rag gets sucked in.
Someone smarter than I can maybe explain it but rest assured it is normal!
"

This is exactly what I mean. If something is placed directly on the hose, it will be held there due to the vacuum...(and stall the engine if left in place) But a few inches in front of the intake, there is definitely air being expelled from the air cleaner.

This may be normal for this machine, but it isn't for any other diesel I've owned. This includes engines made by VW, Isuzu, Cat, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Kioti, and a 1986 Kubota....naturally aspirated, or turbo charged. None blow air out from air cleaner. Must have something to do with this air cleaner's design. I will have to investigate this further, by removing one component at a time. Has to be a simple explanation.

Some of the air cleaners on Dozer’s use the Venturi effect to ensure clean air and blow out Dirt. Makes a machine that works all day in dust keep filters clean for a much longer time. It causes the air to swirl. Maybe this is happening with you?

Brett

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My RTV 900 has one and all I can say is don't ever lose it. A new one at the K store was over $23.( I didn't buy it)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
My 2014 does it to. i just checked!!! i did the test of professionals and stuck my nose down beside it to see if i could smell combustion gas and i couldn't smell any. i guess i need to remove the rubber hose from the intake at the intake manifold and see if it does it there too. i guess if it was tight valves i should smell combustion gas. strange

hillbillybob

Well thanks for checking guys. Seems to be a normal thing for the X1100's. I think I'll detach the air cleaner....start it up, and check the hose up under the hood. This must have something to do with the air cleaner itself.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Well thanks for checking guys. Seems to be a normal thing for the X1100's. I think I'll detach the air cleaner....start it up, and check the hose up under the hood. This must have something to do with the air cleaner itself.

Hey hillbillybob would you do me a favor? and take the hose off at the intake manifold on the engine and see if it does it there?:bonk:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i checked my 2007 model 1100. the air cleaner on it is under the bed and it does the same thing as the 2014 model. must be normal?

Lee1935

i checked my 2007 model 1100. the air cleaner on it is under the bed and it does the same thing as the 2014 model. must be normal?

Those that live in dusty country, or if they play in the mud & water soon move the air cleaner up on the back of the cab. Kubota sells a snorkel kit but you can make your own much cheaper.

The Kubota kit does come with a much larger air cleaner

hillbillybob

I removed the air cleaner today.....did a 5 second test run, found it still blowing air out. So the cleaner has nothing to do with it. Note to aurthurtis: If it's blowing at this end of the hose, it would be at the other end where it attaches to the intake manifold.

Since others have reported their machines doing this, (tho, I am rather surprised by how few), I believe this is a normal operating condition, and have something to do with the valve timing.

hillbillybob

I found the answer, just needed to spend a little more time searching the internet, then do some basic math. The specs listed below were found at Einstelldaten Kubota, and are for the "Tier 2" group of engines. I don't imagine the valve timing on the current "Tier 4" engine is much different.

Five different engines, including our D1105, are covered by the chart I found. Intake valve closed at 30* after Bottom Dead Center. 30* is 1/6 of the 180* of rotation, it takes to go from BDC to TDC. Since the stroke is 3.09", the piston has moved up the cylinder 1/6 of that distance, or .515", before the intake valve has closed. At 1500 rpm, this takes place 750 times a minute....12.5 times a second....times 3 cylinders. The amount of air being displaced thru the intake valves, would fill a 3" diameter container, 19.3" long.....every second. No wonder I feel air being expelled from the air cleaner.

Item
Factory Specification
Allowable Limit
Valve timing

(Intake valve open)
D905-E2B D1005-E2B D1105-E2B V1305-E2B V1505-E2B
14° before T.D.C.

(Intake valve close)
30° after B.D.C.

(Exhaust valve open)
55° before B.D.C.

(Exhaust valve close)
14° after T.D.C.

http://www.mag-motoren.com/Einstelldatenbl%E4tter/Einstelldaten%20Kubota%2005-Serie%20(EPA%20Tier%202).pdf

ovrszd

I only speak for myself here Bob. You are speaking way above my intellectual level. So if you are saying it's understandable that the intake pukes air, I'm happy with it. :)

Good research. Thanks for the explanation!!!! :)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I wonder if this is how Kubota solved the no emissions for this engine. almost like an EGR on some tier 3 engines? for sure derated.