Help! Electrical issues!

SWOOLEY

New Holland TC35 won't start:

I have installed a new batter, checked fuses, grounds & positive leads, starter & solenoid are good, safety switches are good. The last thing I did was replace the ignition and it started like a champ. I killed it and put the panel back in place, tried to start it again and it cranked for a split second, then died like it had been shot. There are no blown fuses. When I turn the key the only light that comes on is the oil light and it is dim. When I turn to start it there is nothing. Any suggestions?

SWOOLEY

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi and welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. :tiphat: :thumb:

Something has come loose I'd guess. How did you check the grounds and fuses? Did you try hooking up some jumper cables to it just to see if that changes things? Sure sounds like a saftey switch or loose fuse connection.
Can you bypass the ignition by touching the wires?
Sorry for the issue. Electrical issues are no fun and require a lot of checking this and that. I wish there was an easier way but I do not know of one.

SWOOLEY

I just tapped the battery post with a hammer and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Tried to crank it and "click"... nothing. Tapped post ... power, crank key... nothing. I ended up starting it by bumping the starter with a screwdriver and mowed for 3 hours. Dang it's HOT is Louisiana! I'm pretty sure it's the connection at the battery, but is it possible for it to be something between the ignition and starter? Thanks for all the input guys. Ya'll are great.

SW

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with Doc on the ground. I find where it is bolted to the frame and starter, clean it of any rust and make the metal shine, then reclamp with clean bolt. good luck ! collie.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll pile on and guess it's one of the battery cables. I see it all the time.

Run a pair of jumper cables parallel to the main battery cables and give it a shot. If no change, remove the battery cables and attach your jumper cables directly to the battery posts and try again.

If it works, remove one of the jumper cables to see if it's the hot or ground side.

Those battery cables look fine but seem to go bad internally.