What needs oiled?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This noise is coming from the front area of my RTV ...as you will hear, as I accelerate the squeak gets louder and faster. Hoping for ideas on what to check. I've looked so far to no avail.

Attachments

• RTV_Squeak_Video.MOV
    2.3 MB · Views: 42

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm video will not play when I click it. It wants me to download it. Then I can play it. I'm using chrome. Does it play for any of you or do you have to download it first?

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
Did not play for me sir - said it is attempting to play a "php" file type even though its listed as a "mov" file, which should play.

Video notwithstanding, its it present from the time it is running or does it start on motion?

If with motion, does the sound change when you turn the wheel right or left or when you apply the brakes?

Just some thoughts.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I never noticed it change when turning right or left, and I rarely touch the brakes. But as I slow down the sqeak does also, and it quits all together when stopped.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I converted the MOV file type to WVM and MP4 hoping that will play here.
Let me know if either works for you.

WVM said invalid file but MP4 uploaded. Maybe it will work. :pat:

Attachments

• RTV_Squeak_Video.mp4
    2.9 MB · Views: 29

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
the MP4 took a while to open but played ok for me on my puter. Does it work on yours?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Found the reason the WMV file would not load. I had typeo'd the file type as WVM ...Oops.

It is attached to this post. Let me know which works best.

NOTE to all: If trying to upload a video and you get the message that you file exceeds the allowed file size upload, copy that message and paste it in a PM to me or a post. I will up the allowed file size at least temporarily ...maybe for good depending what what size most of us need. Shorter videos are best but someimes even those can be BIG. If it fails with invalid file type, tell me the file type you are trying to up load and I will add it o the possible attachments that all can upload. Here is a link to the site I used to convert my MOV file to MP4 and WMV
http://www.zamzar.com/convert/mov-to-mp4/

Attachments

• RTV_Squeak_Video.wmv
    12.5 MB · Views: 31

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
It downloaded for me. As far as the noise it sounds like a universal joint. Try some oil and if it quits you will know. No expert here just a guess. :myopinion:

ovrszd

I think it's too fast for wheel speed. Sounds more like front driveshaft speed.

If you think about each "cycle" of the squeak being a complete revolution it's wayyy faster than tire speed.

Either way, I would jack up the front end and rotate parts until I located the source.

Squirting oil on everything might hide the noise short term. But certainly won't fix the problem.

Maybe members that have experienced driveline failure can add more to this search.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
if it is the 'EWE' joint ...those can't simply be oiled can they?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
if it is the 'EWE' joint ...those can't simply be oiled can they?

Yes you can. you have to have a small needle and syringe then take some ATF and carefully pierce the rubber cup seal and place the ATF. it is a stop gap solution that may last several minute or several years. you can then try some corn head grease the same way but do the ATF first.:dancing:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For those who have replaced your U joint ...was there a noise / squeak like this that tipped you off to it needing replaced?

Old Man 1944

Gold Site Supporter
Yes you can. you have to have a small needle and syringe then take some ATF and carefully pierce the rubber cup seal and place the ATF. it is a stop gap solution that may last several minute or several years. you can then try some corn head grease the same way but do the ATF first.:dancing:

This is what I was saying in my previous post. This is not a fix but to locate the squeak. I have heard this noise on many cars that the have not been serviced in years and it was the universals.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking possibly driveshaft but probably carrier bearing. Squirt some oil on that carrier bearing too. I flushed dirt out of mine with wd40 then oil good. It is right there where the front and rear shafts come together under the seat. That thing will squeak like a banshee when it gets dry. This may buy a little time but it will need replacing before too long if that is what is squeeking. I remember posting on mine going out on the '05, years ago. I think a new one is about $50-60. This pertains only to the old style drive shafts because the new single drive shaft doesn't have one :) collie

edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12734&highlight=carrier+bearing

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Collie. :tiphat: I jacked up the RTV and turned the wheels but no squeak. I drove it and no squeak for a long while. Then it started. So, maybe it has to warm up before squeaking.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Thanks Collie. :tiphat: I jacked up the RTV and turned the wheels but no squeak. I drove it and no squeak for a long while. Then it started. So, maybe it has to warm up before squeaking.

yep it has to get hot from friction inside the joint before it squeeeks. one of these days it will go pop and then quit sqeeeking. but i still say" I didn't know if there are any EUWE joints in the front of an RTV" I thought it only had CV joints??? maybe good idea to check the front Diff???:gotsmoney:

MacGreenie

Check my profile and look at the photos I have posted in my album for rear axle carrier bearing repair. I had the same squeak that would only happen after I drove for a while and would get faster with higher speeds and then slow down and be just barely noticeable when I was moving slowly. The picture in my album of the rusted carrier bearing is evidence of the squeaky rusty condition of that formerly sealed bearing. And apparently that was the source of the noise......I thought it was a u-joint at first, too.

Check out the bordercollie's posts on that rear axle repair as well… That information will guide you through it if you decide to dive into this.

I also sprayed the area of the rear axle carrier bearings and rear you-joint's to troubleshoot where the Skweek was coming from. The squeak only stayed away for a couple of days.