First Impressions - RTV X1100c

I just purchased a turbocharged RTV X1100c and added a Boss V-Plow for snow plowing at my 8500' elevation property. We had a 4" snow, so thought is would be a good time learn how to plow snow. It was around -15 F the night before, but it was about 6 F when I cranked it up.

First problem was that it would crank, but it would not start. Tried turning the key for the glow plug light to come on for 5 s to 15 s, but would not start. Even used jumper cables from the car, and it would crank faster but still not start. I spent some time moving the generator into the garage to get power for the block heater, but it finally did start before I could get the generator all hooked up. (I do not yet have the solar electric system operating in the garage.) The fuel in the engine was that provided by the dealer, so I don't know details on fuel. I had added some Opti-Lube into the fuel (@1:256) based on results quoted on this forum, but it was dumped into the top of the full fuel tank, so it did not have time to mix for these starting tests.

I let it warm up about 10 minutes before beginning to plow. I used Low range for plowing, since the Kubota is new and I wanted to avoid high loads. I tried both the float position and the fixed position on the Boss V-Plow, and the float position seemed to dig up the dirt driveway a little too much. I killed the engine once and bogged it down once trying to plow up a ~25 deg. incline. Remembered the comments from this forum about backing off on foot peddle going uphill, and that seemed to solve that problem.

Overall the rig seemed to plow OK, but I don't know much about plowing. The shifting between Low and Reverse was awkward and difficult. Tried tapping the foot peddle before shifting, and that helped, but still much to difficult for a modern machine. 4WD was needed to avoid spinning the rear (Rip-Saw) tires, perhaps because I had no additional weight in the rear cargo area and the Boss V-Plow weighs 400 lbs. I was not able to shift it out of 4WD at the end of the day. So ease of shifting the hydro transmissions and the 2WD-to-4WD get a failing grade, unless there are tricks that I have yet to learn.

The Sedona 26x10R-12 Rip-Saw tires were supplied by the dealer, but are only rated for 441 lbs. each, so are insufficient for this 2370 lb. (empty) vehicle. Recommended inflation pressure is 7 psi, but the dealer inflated to 20 psi?

Lee

Attachments

• Kubota_RTV_winter_sm2.jpg
    Kubota_RTV_winter_sm2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice rig. I do not understand the hard starting. I bought a used 06 in 2012 and have never had that kind of issue. Hopefully it was fuel related and a one time thing.

And the dealer fixed you up with tires that cannot handle the RTV empty? :confused:

That blade looks like it will take care of some work. Very nice.

ovrszd

You might try positioning the key into the "glowplug" position for 5 seconds or so, then switch back to off, then switch back to the "glowplug" position for another few seconds, then start. The glowplugs are on a timer and will only glow for a few seconds. Recycling the key allows them to glow again and get the combustion chamber warmer than one cycle would.

The shifting is a steep learning curve. When trying to shift from F to R or visa versa apply the foot brake and hold the pedal down while trying to shift. In the newer machines this is supposed to release any HVT pressure that might be in the system.

As for the 2wd/4wd shifting. This too is a learning process. It seems to bind up way more than it should. I blame this on the linkage/lever system used. They need to redesign that system to use a spring loaded mechanism so the lever moves easily to the 2wd position and the trans will shift when the pressure is released. I blame this on production cost reasons. Cheaper to simply use a lever engagement system. Sure is aggravating though.

Hope your new machine gives you many hours of service!!!!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
It wouldn't hurt to add an anti-gel additive if the fuel is from the summer. If all else fails, I'd check to be sure the glow plugs are actually working. I had a VW diesel moons back and it developed a hard start in cold weather. I think a relay failed, but in any case, the glow plugs weren't glowing. Started great after the fix.

Good luck, my 04 900 just keeps pushing the white stuff out of the way.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I would bet you had wax in your fuel filter from the neg 15. after cranking a few times you probably pulled enough anti gell into the filter to get it running.

Etwman

I have that Boss V Plow on my RTV1100. Get a good set of mud tires and put about (10) 50 lb bags of salt or sand in the bed. You won't need four wheel drive that much if you weight it correctly. I pushed 12" of snow with that thing and rarely ever put it in four wheel drive.

If the temps drop real cold like that I splash my tank with about a gallon of kerosene. Let it run about 5 minutes before shutting it down. You'll never have problems.

That shifting thing is stiff. My new X1100c that I just got is that way too. Everything I read on here says it'll loosen up over time. I sure hope so, because my older 1100 is like butter shifting. That being able to go from R to L range on one side is really nice for plowing.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What you describe with the shifting is a carbon copy of my 05. From 4wd to 2wd: the best technique I have found is to back DOWN a slope for perhaps 20 feet or more, shift to neutral, put the brake on hard, and then it will most often easily shift.

On shifting gears, the best thing I do is to put the brake on hard and hold it down. Often I have to turn the steering wheel from full left to full right. Then find neutral, pause, and finally make the shift.

Not knowing or having experienced the glow plug "timer" situation. Over time, I have found that if I count to 7 or 10 the RTV and the tractor both start. NOT 5, NOT 6 but 7 or even 10. I truly don't know nor understand about the 5 second thing, I just hold it for the count and it fires off. Yes, I have held it to 5, no glory, 6 no go, and then at 7 off she flies......lol....this is only after perhaps 500 starts in 32 to 10 degrees F. Who knows....but WELCOME ABOARD....there are lots of folks that know a little and if you put it all together you get a lot of information.....then there is the inverse.......Good luck.....

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
You bought a brand new x1100c with a turbo? was it a Kubota dealer? just curious about that really. If it does not start right away when its 6 out Id take it back and have them look at it unless you have questionable fuel. Your fuel supplier should be selling #1 diesel at this point in your climate but my 1100 cranked right up at those temperatures and im running #2 I bought this fall

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Also looking at your pic I dont know if you tightened the front springs on you kubota to help with the weight of the plow but I did mine with a good pair of channel locks

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. After reviewing the results and talking with the dealer and looking at your suggestions, I think that the starting problem was likely the plugging up of the fuel filter with waxes that formed from the fuel at low temps. The fuel was what the vehicle was delivered with, and its age and DF-2 versus DF-1 ratio are unknown. The fellow that sold me the vehicle mentioned looking at the exhaust to see if white smoke (vaporized, unburned fuel) was coming out the exhaust. If not, he suggested the fuel filter plugging. I was not watching carefully, but I don't remember seeing or smelling the unburned fuel coming out the exhaust. I will watch more carefully next time. The Opti-Lube that I added to the fuel should have had time to get pulled into the filters after running the engine for more than an hour, so hopefully that will help with the low-temperature starting next time. I will look into the availability of kerosene (or jet fuel).

I will also try some of the strategies suggested here for operating the glow plugs. The salesman told me the glow plug light on the dash is wired such that it will not light if the glow plugs are not working correctly. Interesting.

I will keep working on the various gear shift issues. Thanks for the ideas.

You bought a brand new x1100c with a turbo? was it a Kubota dealer? just curious about that really. If it does not start right away when its 6 out Id take it back and have them look at it unless you have questionable fuel. Your fuel supplier should be selling #1 diesel at this point in your climate but my 1100 cranked right up at those temperatures and im running #2 I bought this fall

Yes, there are a few Kubota dealers that will install turbochargers, and mine was installed on a brand new X1100c. I purchased mine from Southwest Ag. in Bayfield, Colorado, which is located at 6900', so they know about altitude limitations for these diesel engines. The turbo kit that they install is the one made by Turbokits.com in Connecticut. It is a long drive back to the dealer, and I have to rent a double-axle trailer to haul that fat little RTV over a pretty stout mountain pass (10,856') that gets a lot of snow this time of year. That is an expensive and time-consuming effort to visit the dealer.

The fuel was what was delivered with the vehicle, and its composition and age are unknown. I suspect that was the cold-start problem, and likely the 6 F was not the problem, but the -15 F from earlier in the morning.

Also looking at your pic I dont know if you tightened the front springs on you kubota to help with the weight of the plow but I did mine with a good pair of channel locks

Yes, excellent suggestion. I was going to order the tool from Kubota to adjust the front springs, and also look into some bags of something to put into the cargo box as suggested by Etwman. Just got the vehicle delivered, so have not had time to accomplish those tasks yet.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Yes, excellent suggestion. I was going to order the tool from Kubota to adjust the front springs, and also look into some bags of something to put into the cargo box as suggested by Etwman. Just got the vehicle delivered, so have not had time to accomplish those tasks yet.

Channel locks made quick work of it but it would probably be even easier if you jacked it up to take off any additional weight.

I heard that! Thats pretty cool you can get a turbo with a warranty! I know you will enjoy the 1100!

There is no real warranty from Kubota with the turbocharger. I hope that the dealer will back the system as they indicated that they would. Most important to me is to try to avoid any problems that might be associated with the turbo.

ovrszd

What you describe with the shifting is a carbon copy of my 05. From 4wd to 2wd: the best technique I have found is to back DOWN a slope for perhaps 20 feet or more, shift to neutral, put the brake on hard, and then it will most often easily shift.

On shifting gears, the best thing I do is to put the brake on hard and hold it down. Often I have to turn the steering wheel from full left to full right. Then find neutral, pause, and finally make the shift.

Not knowing or having experienced the glow plug "timer" situation. Over time, I have found that if I count to 7 or 10 the RTV and the tractor both start. NOT 5, NOT 6 but 7 or even 10. I truly don't know nor understand about the 5 second thing, I just hold it for the count and it fires off. Yes, I have held it to 5, no glory, 6 no go, and then at 7 off she flies......lol....this is only after perhaps 500 starts in 32 to 10 degrees F. Who knows....but WELCOME ABOARD....there are lots of folks that know a little and if you put it all together you get a lot of information.....then there is the inverse.......Good luck.....

The glow plugs are on a timer. If you hold the key in the glow plug position and listen, after 3 or 4 seconds you hear a click, that's the relay turning off. Holding the key beyond that click time does nothing.

DwRam

Site Supporter
On Shifting from 4wd to 2wd. On the dash of my 1100 it says to turn the steering wheel fully in each direction to help with moving the lever for 2wd - 4wd. Does seem to help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The glow plugs are on a timer. If you hold the key in the glow plug position and listen, after 3 or 4 seconds you hear a click, that's the relay turning off. Holding the key beyond that click time does nothing.
Can we talk/think about this some more? As soon as you turn the key on, the hour meter starts. That hour meter has a click every few seconds that you can hear under the dash. That's what I always hear. If there's a relay on the glow plugs, where is it? I thought most if not all relays are behind the seat but the click comes from under the dash.

ovrszd

Can we talk/think about this some more? As soon as you turn the key on, the hour meter starts. That hour meter has a click every few seconds that you can hear under the dash. That's what I always hear. If there's a relay on the glow plugs, where is it? I thought most if not all relays are behind the seat but the click comes from under the dash.

I'm just going by advice given to me by the local dealership mechanic. I asked how do I know when I've allowed the glow plugs to function the proper amount of time. He said, listen for the click. When it clicks the plugs are no longer heating. If you need more heat, recycle the process. I claim no personal expertise other than that. I'll research my WSM and see if it details this process?