Hydrostatic Steering

Terry2816

My 2816 hydrostatic recently started to "kick back". When turning the steering wheel, it sometimes feels like it does not want to turn as easily as it normally does, and sometimes it feels like it sticks. It is only a momentary event, not to the degree that I can not turn - it is just not as smooth as it should be.

Has anyone else experienced "kick back" in the steering wheel when turning? It seems to happen at random times - sometimes very often, sometimes as a single event.

I tried searching for hydrostatic steering troubleshooting on the internet, but that topic has scant results - at least good links that do not lead to sites selling products that I do not need.

I had changed the fluids and filters recently, and this started soon after.

I spoke with the service guy at the Mahindra dealership and he thought that air had become trapped in the steering cylinder, and suggested disconnecting the tie rods and steering left and right until the cylinder bottoms out in both directions. I have not tried that yet.

Any other ideas?

LETHAL GTS

Sounds like an air lock in either the hydraulic steering cylinder/s or an air lock in the hand pump (the hydraulic valve connected to the steering wheel).
Follow your techs advice. That is most likely the issue.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. You got your baby back. :D
Good advice Lethal. Reps for you. :thumb: