Changing Coolant Every Two Years

Meyerske

I've always tried to stick with the recommended maintenance schedule on my Kubotas, including changing/flushing the coolant every 2 years. But recently I've had two different dealers tell me that they don't change coolant unless there is discoloration or high hours. Thoughts?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is just my opinion. these little Kubota engines don't suffer from cavitation so every two years is premature but it sure won't hurt anything either.

ovrszd

I never change coolant unless there's a reason. Doesn't test satisfactorily. Mechanical failure that caused me to replace coolant.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We just did one of those mail off test on the coolant in the older 7210 JD tractor . According to that test, the coolant had began to degrade I think it had silicates forming but can't remember for sure. Even though the balls in the tester were proper , the JD test said it needed replacing. It has been maybe 8-10 years.. We use distilled water which we mix in with the coolant for a 50 /50 blend.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
..... not as much as just the coolant going bad, what one has to worry about is the rust-inhibitor.
AND .... prone to a problem called cavitation (or liner pitting).
You need Treatment for cooling systems ....
Baldwin BTE, We Always add this to our engines. There are many on the market, this is just the one that is more available.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The pistons in your engine move up and down about 2,000 times a minute. While they move vertically, the crankshaft is performing a completely different movement by rotating horizontally. These contradictory movements will cause your engine's liners to vibrate a lot. Although the outer wall of the liner is surrounded by cooling fluid, its inertia creates tiny vacuum pockets, causing bubbles of vapor to form on the liner wall. When the liner vibrates back, these bubbles collapse under an enormous pressure and take small chunks out of the liner. Eventually you will have block failure.

To prevent this, a supplemental coolant additive needs to be added to the cooling system and monitored regularly. ( this was copied )

.......... two guns :2gunsfiring_v1:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
..... not as much as just the coolant going bad, what one has to worry about is the rust-inhibitor.
AND .... prone to a problem called cavitation (or liner pitting).
You need Treatment for cooling systems ....
Baldwin BTE, We Always add this to our engines. There are many on the market, this is just the one that is more available.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The pistons in your engine move up and down about 2,000 times a minute. While they move vertically, the crankshaft is performing a completely different movement by rotating horizontally. These contradictory movements will cause your engine's liners to vibrate a lot. Although the outer wall of the liner is surrounded by cooling fluid, its inertia creates tiny vacuum pockets, causing bubbles of vapor to form on the liner wall. When the liner vibrates back, these bubbles collapse under an enormous pressure and take small chunks out of the liner. Eventually you will have block failure.

To prevent this, a supplemental coolant additive needs to be added to the cooling system and monitored regularly. ( this was copied )

.......... two guns :2gunsfiring_v1:

The JD people tell a slightly different version: Diesel engines are compression-ignition engines and an "echo" will develop outside the liner-wall from the detonation of ignition. This will cause a gas-bubble to "pop" at the surface of the liner and create erosion that can lead to failure of the liner.
The additive in JD branded antifreeze fights this, as does some specific coolant additives, and some coolant filters also contain pellets of the zinc-rich additive. My JD 4329 engine in my Ferguson compactor/roller has a spin on filter that requires 2-year replacement if ordinary ethylene-glycol antifreeze is used instead of JD's blessed stuff.
(I don't appreciate your "rope" motto-comment. It reflects poorly upon you.)