M4800 reverse transmission linkage mfr's defect?

biggins

Hello, everyone.

I am writing this thread for my father, who owns a 2005 Kubota M4800 tractor, with about 600 hours on it. From about the 3rd or 4th month onward, he has been having problems shifting into reverse, and, for a short time, having to resort to getting UNDERNEATH the tractor to manually shift the mechanical linkage (without crushing himself in the process, apparently). He did complain to the dealer where he bought it (in Ardmore, OK), but was blown off repeatedly. His "fix" for the problem was using a screwdriver to manually move the linkage, but that fix eventually failed, though it was now four years later. So, here we are. He took the tractor over to the dealer last week, and they replaced a pin linkage in the transmission, and commented that the problem with the transmission was likely a mfr's defect, and that Kubota had changed designs in their newer tractors.

Is there anyone else who has had a similar experience with their M-series tractors? As in, a loss of reverse gear. Have there been recalls or dealer fixes that won't result in the same problem repeating? He hates to spend $600 more, only to have reverse go out in another 3 or 4 months. Can't blame him there, I guess.

Thanks in advance.
-Marvin

urednecku

I have a M7040 I got new in Aug. 07. The only 'reverse problem' I've had, I had to replace the shuttle lever in Aug. 09. I feel like the pin on bottom of it that actually moves the linkage in the steering column is the weakest area. I have about 450 hours on the tractor now, and no more problems.

Oh yea, welcome to the forum, both of ya!

urednecku

OK, I just looked @ the dates, & I see biggins posted a year ago, with no response. And mike j posted last night......

mike j, welcome to the forum, don't let the lack of response run you off, stick around, post on a bunch of different places, & throw in some pictures!
I GAR-ON-TEE that'll get ya noticed!!!!