Craftsman GT 6500 20 hr report

SCDolphin

I have a Craftsman GT6500 that I bought in the spring 07. I ordered it with the smaller 48" deck instead of the usual 54" deck. I like the stout short 3 blade system that came with the smaller 48" deck.
So far I only have about 20 hours. I love the mower. It has tons of power, it has an automatic transmission rated to pull a disc or plow.....couldn't find that with green tractors of same price.
What used to take almost 3 hours, I can now do in 45 minutes.
My only problems or beefs are that the lever to raise or lower the deck is located on the left and sometimes makes it tight to get off and on and when I first got it it spit off the belt times 2 but very easy to put back on without tools.
I would highly recomend the GT6500

Mith

From what I have heard the GT's seem to offer great value for money! At 20 hours a year you'll not be needing a new one for a very long time! :thumb:
Here's to the next 20 hours! :beer:

PBinWA

My GT5000 is 4.5 years old now and still running strong (well the last time I started it a few months ago it was). I abuse the crap out of it and it hasn't really given me any big problems. They are a good mower for smaller yards.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. Sounds like you found a good un. :thumb:
I googled images looking for a picture of a Craftsman GT6500 and did not find any. Would you mind posting a couple pics of your tractor?

SCDolphin

Craftsman GT6500

Mine has the Kohler but not there top of the line. What supprised me when I started looking Consumer Report gave a high rating to JD 100 model so I looked at several model up like 150 or 160 but amazingly their auto trans was not even rated to pull a trailer much less a plow or small disc. I think I paid 2,300 and except for tossing the belt x2 which is a 30 sec fix it has been awesome. Lastly I think it is 26 horsepower but is is really stingy on fuel. I am not bashing JD but they do not even have greaseable spindles

I will post a couple of picts