Bucket Mod

Uncle Levi

Already I'm thinking about winter (In N.D. we always are). Anyway, I want to put some removable"shoes" under the front edge of my loader bucket so I don't get into the gravel driveway when I plow snow this next winter. But I want to take them off in the spring. The bucket edge already has a series of holes across the front edge of the bucket about 10" apart like this : : : : : : : Vertically they're about 2" apart. I kinda have an idea what I want to do here using 3"x1/2" flat stock, but I'd appreciate any ideas from anyone about how is a good idea to do this. Thanks, guys. Mike

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mike,

An option to consider.
How about mounting some thin wheels on the outside of your bucket that bolt through the side of your bucket edge near the leading edge. I did this with good success on a push type snowblower. I used 2 bicycle training wheels and just bolted them to the sides of the blower so they kept the leading edge off the ground about 1/2". I used training wheels as they're very thin so it doesn't generate resistance on the snow that's to the sides of the blower.

If you used something like hand truck tires bolted to the sides of your bucket it might do the trick for you. Basically, something that can take some weight but thin enough not to cause problems when snow hits it.

Just a thought.

K5shtE3WaQzuKDQmviTdYKwhET9hoL_0LlZBmOBB_wVXZg9Y0fZtz9rgmjuBkUSK-q6npzE1zHjk_jt5HtM_7hIAGXQSmJXGxuRNDcRwyZGlUxEctXuUkvFOt5qexlX_r9N0RpclpVxFMEz7Va2S7E1NiCnauqIy2A9StpfIxScvtw

Uncle Levi

Wheels

Hey ! That's a GREAT idea!! That would sure be a LOT easier than anything I've thought of. Thanks MUCH. I think you hit it right on. Mike :thankyou2:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad I could help. You do have to let us know if it actually works... I know it works on a snowblower but never tried it on a bucket.

Uncle Levi

I have 4 wheels and tires that are 11x4.00 air tires that somebody gave me that came off an old J.D. mower of some kind. Even if I have to weld a mounting bracket on the outside of the bucket ( I don't think I will have to) these will work great. I'll post a picture here when I get it finished. Sure do like hanging out here. Together there's not many problems we can't solve. Thanks again. Mike

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking the hand-truck tires since there's no mounting bracket. Just run a 1/2" bolt through with a couple washers and voila!
I don't know how much you want the tire to stick below the bottom of the bucket, but consider the tire air pressure as a possible means of height adjustment (coupled possibly with loader down-force).

Uncle Levi

These wheels I have are about the same size as hand-truck wheels- just a little wider. I think they're the front swivel wheels off a ZTR. Anyway, I'll let you know how this project turns out. Mike

Uncle Levi

bucket wheels

As a matter of fact I did. I used my bucket this way all winter and it DID keep me from digging up my gravel driveway. I can still use the bucket as a "scraper" by tilting it further forward, but no digging with a level bucket because the wheels keep it about 1/2 inch off the ground.

Uncle Levi

I do, but I don't know how to download it. My wife, Jo, is in Minneapolis for another routine physical check because she's on a heart transplant list. She'll be home this weekend and I'll post a picture of this mod. Sorry, but it'll have to wait until then. Basically all I did was drill a hole in each side of the bucket so when I mounted the wheels on the outside of the bucket, they kept it 1/2 inch off the ground. I'll post pictures on the "projects forum" this weekend, though.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good on the pic.

Sorry to hear about Jo. Prayers and best wishes being sent.