Winch cable question.

Nevadablue

I have a New Old Stock 2500 pound pull Polaris winch that I am going to mount on the front of the RTV to lift the snow plow with. The winch looks just like a Warn winch, for reference. I need the power cables to be on the left side for convenience in wiring.
I can mount the winch on the front bumper, in the OEM holes for the winch, without the fairlead, IF I can wind the cable on the winch drum the other way.

Can I pull out all the cable and wind it in the other direction without harming the winch? I have never replaced a winch cable on a little winch like this and am not sure how it fastens to the drum.

If I can do this safely, I can get the winch installed much quicker. Come spring I can remove the winch and install the fairlead bracket so the winch will be useful as a winch as well as a 'blade lifter'.

HELP!!

32393099192_1bdd33e466.jpg

The reason it needs to be reversed is that it it comes over the top of the drum, with the power connections on the driver's side, it will clear everything and work fine for the plow.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't think it would matter if the winch was over wound or under wound unless it has the dead end ov the cable attaching on the drum instead of the flange. i don't think it is a good idea to try to remove and reuse the old cable while changing from over wound to under wound because the lay of the cable has taken a set and it will try to birdsnest on you all of the time. there is a right way to wind cable onto a drum and if you get it wrong you will know immediately the first time you use it. here is some good info http://www.assemblyspecialty.com/guide-to-wire-rope/handling-and-installation/

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
oh another tip is to get the correct "lay " of cable to coincide if it spools from the left flange or the right flange. cable will either be left or right lay. that means the way the twist is on the cable and if you get it wrong the cable will always try to lay itself onto the drum in an erratic manner and you will get flat spots forming and failure at those places .

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with the guy with arthritis. ;)
If you have new cable, you're OK.
If you don't fully unwind it, you're OK.

My addition:
If you have the coin, get rid of the cable and switch to Amsteel rope. Strong as cable, retains no energy (so if it breaks, it doesn't snap back and try to kill you), easy to handle, spools nicely in any direction and no burrs to cut into your hands.

Nevadablue

Thanks guys. The winch is new, never used. I looked at some videos and it appears that the only way to know, unless someone has unspooled this exact winch, is to pull the cable off and look.
I will probably get a synthetic rope later, but I don't have time now. I need to get this thing finished so I can use it. More snow on the way. Sigh...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
More snow on the way. Sigh...
And what's up with that???

Because of the price and what looks like a nice build, I'm so tempted to get the same plow but I just can't pull the trigger (yet). I live between Pittsburgh and Lake Erie which is a traditional snow heavy area but we haven't gotten squat for snow this year.

I was in you area (Northern AZ, Southern UT, AZ and CA) 2 months ago and when in southern Utah, in 2-4 hours, I encountered more snow than we've gotten here in any week. Hard to justify a RTV plow for a couple times per year (especially when I have the ATV with plow and a blade on the tractor).

Nevadablue

I know what you mean. This winter is unusual because of so much snow that just keeps coming. We usually get melts between snows. I am glad I got the plow though. It gives me a backup for the tractor as well as working better to push snow.
I did order a BXpanded blade for the tractor, but that is delayed due to no stock.

The KFI blade and mount are very well made, I am glad I picked that one.

ovrszd

Gonna go "scientific" here.

The reason a winch cable/rope wraps under the drum rather than over the drum is to reduce the stress on the mount bolts.

I'm not going to claim imminent failure or something catastrophic like that. But I will say you risk destroying your mount and the bolt system by wrapping over the drum.

If all you are going to do is lift a blade, no problem. If you intend to use the winch to it's capacity, big problem.

Nevadablue

Well, I hear you, but the 'over the top' direction is the factory original. The primary use for the winch will be raising the plow, but it will see some use as a winch I suppose. I don't really like the front bumper/frame thing on the RTV. Not thick enough for this old school mechanic/engineer. Oh well. The main use for the RTV is as a 'little pickup truck' for us, so no worries.

ovrszd

Wow, I've never saw one wrapped that way out of the box. I'd say go for it.

I hear you on the winch mount. I don't consider it heavy enough on my 900 either. But I don't think I've ever saw one bent though.

But then I always think the winch mount bolts are too small also!!! :)