Installing a new KFI Snow Plow

Nevadablue

It is right in front of the battery. I have no idea what that thing is. Today is the first time I have seen it. It is factory... something. Good idea I guess. LOL...

Nevadablue

Would someone please remind me what the connection is that is taped to the harness, just to the left of the top of the washer tank? I read it here somewhere, but now I can't remember. I need a hot wire that is switched, according to the instructions for the winch.

32576551995_e6498c0bc9_c.jpg

Nevadablue

Too late to edit the above post. I found the answer, the wires are for converting the speedometer to kilometers. I will dig under the dash looking for a hot wire from the key switch I guess.

Nevadablue

One of our freezers is in a building that also houses the wood pellet supply for the pellet stove. Before the last big storm, I dug my way in and brought a couple of weeks supply of pellets onto the porch. Today, I dug the road out again and got goodies from the freezer as well as more pellets, just in case. With the luck I have been having, I figured that while the tractor was behaving, I better use it!

I did get the RTV winch mounted and the original cables run up and over the radiator toward the relay. The relay is mounted now too. I have to make extensions for the original winch cables and put ends and the fuse holder on the supply at the battery. I also figured out where to mount the in/out switch for the winch. It is going on the side of the cup holder on the left side. For now, I will power it from the hot wire on the relay. When I can get to my parts, I will run a fused and switched line to the dash to the spare switch position just above the headlight switch. I have a remote ordered and want to be able to control the winch even if the engine isn't running. The independent power switch for the winch will allow that.
Pictures tomorrow I hope.

Nevadablue

With the winch and relay installed, I worked on the wiring connections some today.

The wires from the winch go up the side of the radiator, in an existing channel.

32239430700_f1f82c0655_z_d.jpg

Then they come over the radiator and head for the relay.

32465290502_7fcaabe1f9_z_d.jpg

32495950241_7e588922c9_z_d.jpg

The relay. The connection for the in/out switch is the white connector. The wires will go straight back from the relay and through the rubber boot directly behind it (just below the blue tape on the firewall) and into the dash.

32239432480_d924906ddc_z_d.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow, I will make the battery connections and install the switch and test it!

Nevadablue

I got the winch working and took the rig out for a test. Immediately I had problems. I put the blade in a snow bank which raised it... releasing the tension on that mass of winch cable and it bird-nested. Not knowing what I was doing, I attempted to raise or lower the blade, which jammed the winch and smoked the 50 amp fuse. At least I know that a winch stall is protected. Grrr... so, I limped back to the house, not far fortunately and fixed it. I chopped off that horrible steel cable, leaving enough to cover the drum with one layer. That is carefully and painfully (difficult to do...) wrapped with electrical tape and cable ties so it cannot spring up off the drum and tangle. It works now, it only has to move a few inches to work the blade.
I may have to tip the blade back slightly too, not sure yet. No fresh snow (of course) to test it on.

So, what is the best/cheapest/recommended synthetic cable for the winch? Or, should I get a strap and put the synthetic rope on for summer?

HELP!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have amsteel blue. IIRC, I got it off e-bay.

When you switch from cable to rope, you're theoretically supposed to change from a roller to hawse fairlead so you don't pinch the rope. I didn't but I'm just careful not to pull at angles that can get the rope pinched between 2 rollers (the 4 corners).

If you don't go the rope route, somewhere around here I have the 50' cable from my winch from when I switched to rope.