The sky is falling!

joe lasky

Went to three of my local gun shops (the small rural type where you know everyone and it's nice, small and cozy) in the past week, and it's official, the sky is falling.

I've tried to hold out hope and not let fear justify buying anything due to the current political climate, but heck, it seems every gun by Bushmaster, Kimber and Ruger is on backorder (don't know about the others, but I'm sure they're in the same boat) and the manufacturers don't know how they will fill their orders (I just had a hankering for a wheel gun and had to get one).

Last shop I was at was on a Tuesday late morning. First time I ever stood in line with three guys in front of me waiting to pay for their guns.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I guess I'm one of those new guys. The wife and I are taking a CCW class and in the market for the right gun. Gun shows around here are crazy. In this downed economy where does the money come from to buy all these guns? It appears a lot are like me, saving cash where we can, but getting guns before congress does anything to limit our options.

zionview

A neighbor came back from a gun shop yesterday and said there was a framed picture of our current president on the wall as the newest salesman of the month.

Erik

2 weeks ago Cabela's had mini-14's for 750 wuth wood stock or 700 with synthetic. Was in a pawn shop yesterday and their pistol cabinet was half empty - but they had a mini 14 for 800.
Lots of bolt actions and shotguns, but that was the only semi-auto long gun I saw on the wall.

joe lasky

Erik

Same shop where I bought the revolver had 5 decent looking AK's up on the wall. A month or so ago they were going for $450. I thought at the time not a bad price given the current political enviroment. When I went in last week, those same guns went up $125.

The shop owner of the shop even got into an "friendly" argument with a customer at the counter because he (owner) wouldn't take a deposit on an AR because he had no clue when he would get any more (add to the fact that he probably wouldn't know what to charge at the time).

People have had this discussion since the current president got elected, but I held out hope that the sky wouldn't fall. I consider myself lucky, I have what I need, and the only thing I can see in my future may be a small bolt action rifle in a varmit caliber.

Had a buddy tell me this past week that he couldn't get primers from his manufacturer due to the conflicts overseas. I have enough brass for my "expensive" calibers, but have to wonder about the trickle down effect, and wonder if ammo is next (just getting the components).

Might be a rough next four or eight years.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Erik
Had a buddy tell me this past week that he couldn't get primers from his manufacturer due to the conflicts overseas. I have enough brass for my "expensive" calibers, but have to wonder about the trickle down effect, and wonder if ammo is next (just getting the components).

Might be a rough next four or eight years.

Ammo is already in short supply in my little part of Texas. Most places that I usually pick it up have a few boxes of this and that but not nearly the selection they had a short while back. Even Wal-mart didn't have much of anything. I eventually went on line to get what I wanted but I had to hunt around. Most places were out of stock or on backorder with a 3 to 6 week expected delivery - maybe. Things are just going crazy.

I've always been a retro kind of guy. I like revolvers and lever action rifles but I suppose that I better just give in and go buy that semi-auto pistol that I've been looking at, if it's still there.

Erik

Frank, I have to agree - there will always have a soft spot in my heart for the marlin 336 & Winchester 92 pattern lever guns and Ruger or S&W K, L, & N frame revolvers.

Supertiger

It is amazing how people get crazy with firearms in your country. No surprise that you have one of the highest record of deaths by firearm in civilized world...

joe lasky

It is amazing how people get crazy with firearms in your country. No surprise that you have one of the highest record of deaths by firearm in civilized world...

Supertiger

People being people, you have to take the good with the bad when you have more rights than any other people in the "civilized" world.

As a civilian, I've never been shot at, nor ever had to draw my weapon in self defense. Guess perhaps I've live a ways away from the those statistics you speak of.

That said, we have crazy people like you have up in Canada, at least our country gives you the benifit of the doubt and the freedom to do what you want to do as long as you don't break the law.

Did they outlaw knives when that wacko up your ways beheaded that person on the bus?

Supertiger

Of course we are allowed to own firearms but they have to be registered. For hand guns, you have to specify if the usage is for collecting, shooting (member of a shooting club) or self defense (which is almost impossible to get). You have to justify and submit yourself for police investigation. The investigation goes as fas as asking the approval of your ex-wife, just in case...

Criminals don't care for laws or prohibition anyway. But when you do not have easy access to firearm, there is less chance you will yield to morbid impulsions.

Perhaps I sould have said some people get crazy... We have our own crazy people up north too, belive me. I don't want to start a debate on who do best. Most people in any country are honest, want to live happy and love their children. There is no easy solutions but it worth to look different ways.

For EastTexFrank: I refer to the Webster

Supertiger
P.S. please excuse my english, french is my mother tongue language.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. So, do you own a gun? Do you belong to a shooting club?

We have shooting clubs but I've never been to one. I have enough space to set up my own shooting range on my property. And you are right. It is getting crazy here. I am signed up for a conceal carry class this coming weekend. I need to buy some 45 ACP ammo. I've been to two stores and neither had even one box. :eek:
I guesss the reason it's crazy is that the powers are in place and appear to have the votes to take away some of the gun rights that we take for granted. I might not be able to purchase a number of different guns and the ammo for those types of guns if congress decides to take those rights away. I do not believe it will happen anytime soon but if it did I fear riots in the streets. That is when I'll be glad I have a gun or two in my possession. It's a hope for the best but plan for the worst scenario.

**ps: Your english is very good. No worries M8.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, Dans Ammo in Apollo PA has Fiocchi 230 fmj in stock.

$159.99/500. Shipping to me was @$14.00

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I need em this Saturday. To late to order mail order. I'm going to try a local lumber store that sells ammo. Keeping my fingers crossed.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
For EastTexFrank: I refer to the Webster

Supertiger
P.S. please excuse my english, french is my mother tongue language.

I know what the Webster definition is but I was wondering what yours was. That's usually an interesting question to have answered but perhaps too broad in scope for here. I had a friend who once described the USA as the, "Most technically advanced, uncivilized country in the world". We were discussing the differences in the US and British laws and attitudes to firearms at the time.

By the way, your English is a lot, lot better than my French .... or Spanish.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Heck, Dan said he could get it out today and I should have em by Thursday. Kewl.
I ordered the 500 round case. :thumb:
Thanks Jim!!!!!

I have had good luck in my dealings with Dan.

He is having trouble keeping 223 in stock but it is rare for him to not have 9mm and 45acp.

The other Greg (BD) recommended Dan's a few months ago. I bought a case of 223 from him then and have purchased everything from him since then. He's less expensive than any of the local folks and the shipping is reasonable.

Jim