Got Goats?

jwstewar

Staff member
The kids have joined 4-H this. They are each going to take a Market Goat to the fair. Anyone know anything about them? I know absolutely nothing. Up until a few days ago, when I said "Goat" I was talking about an old Pontiac.:eek:

We are looking at probably 2 or 3 of them. 2 to go to the fair and 1 just in case. Not sure what I do with the odd man out at the end of the season.....

Thoughts so far. Thinking about a 50x50 give or take area to keep them in. Just need to decide what type of fence and shelter that would keep them secure, but at the same time cheap as this may be a one time thing as I know we want to eventually get a couple of horses and that would then become their "projects."

B

bczoom

Dennis (DandD farm) has a bunch of goats. Hopefully he'll chime in.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I hope we get some good replies to this one as I'm thinking about getting some goats too. I've been working this week, between rain showers, to get the fences fixed to keep them in.

I don't know anything about them either except that they'll eat vines and brush, in which case I can keep them well fed. They can have all of the "thicket" that they want.

Once the fences are done then I start on the house to put them up at night or they'll become coyote fodder.

Erik

they actually sell woven wire "goat fence" but heavier gauge 4' tall 2x4 welded wire & t-posts or regular chain link works pretty well and is easier to find. Common 6x6 woven wire field fence is a bad idea - they get their heads stuck in it.

a cheap garden shed makes a pretty decent house for goats, or if you have miniatures, you can build something slightly larger than a doghouse for them to bed down in.

when fencing your 50x50 space, fence in the corner with the shed in it and put a roof on that - slightly arched cattle panels work well -- so the goats have a safe place to sleep that the coyote's can't get into. This also makes it easier to catch them to take to fairs & such, especially if their feed buckets are in there. (bribery is a great motivator)

good luck!

urednecku

I've never had any experience with goats, but I have heard the best way to keep them from climbing the fence is.....................

put stairs over it.:hide::hide:

ghautz

Urednecku is right. I raised goats for meat for about 25 years. I bought used 6' chain link for the pens. Never had one get out after I put in wire in the bottom of the fence.

They will eat a wooden shed. I fixed that by stapling chicken wire to the sides, inside and out. If you have them for only a year or so, that probably won't be necessary.

The odd one at the end of the season would go well in the freezer. I prefer that to beef.

M

muleman

I raised and milked goats for about 12 years . 50X50 is not bad for a pen if you are planning on just feeding hay. They like a mineral block and lots of good water at all times. You need to keep after water buckets and keep them clean or they won't drink well. They are PITA to keep in if they smell or see something they want. Get the kids does not bucks. Nubians are a good breed for first timers. Good luck.

D

D&D Farm

THANKS BC............
HUGE subject here with a few must do things to observe.
There are goats and then there are show goats. Yes, one can get something at the livestock auction and do well; but really pretty rare now adays. This has become a specialty among breeders and the standards are really pretty high so buying just a goat to show is really hard at the auction.

I WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO BE SUCCESSFUL and really get into this. If they do, it will be a true joy for YOU. As you dont state how old your children are I will go with perhaps 9 to 10? Perfect age for beginning to assume responsibility for critters. If it is YOU doing it, not worth the time. If it is you guiding them through the problems, then it is fantastic.......

There are several breeds of goats that show. Nubian, Boer (predominant), and Kiko, among others. Definately worth joining one of the organizations, ABGA or IBGA to be eligible for their judging/shows.

What class are you going to show in? Classes are based on a lot of things. I would suggest percentage weathers. These are neutered males. This will make you eligible for MOST shows. Inside of this are age of goat classes. 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, 12 month, 2 year, and senior. You want to be at the top of the age range when the show happens. In other words taking a 4 month old goat and entering it in the 6 month class will have it showing against 6 monthers and it will NOT show well. The 6 monthers will be totally outclassing it.
LOTS to consider...........................
I suggest you talk to the FHA or 4H leader and see the direction/shows they have lined up................That will determine the class/breed/age......weather/percentage/meat is really not a bad way to go. Weathers at 9 to 10 months are a for sure way to get your money back at auction if you need to get your money back.............

Now, maintenance...............
They need shelter from the rain.....A lean to or tarp is adequate......Cold is ok but not rain...........Fencing is mixed.........We use 5 strand electric and woven wire. When we began years ago, we ran the woven; but we have MANY acres of pasture that we use just electric and have NO problems. Actually with the woven wire we end up running at least one strand of electric about goat waist high to keep them from rubbing and scratching themselves on it.........Electric DOES work well. Yes, if you end up getting some kind of range/brush goat they WILL go through it like butter. Typically though we are more than satisfied with electric....

YOU NEED A GUARD DOG..........Hopefully 2.........Yes, you can get by well with nothing, but the first time a local feral/pit bull/dobie or just a stray pack get into your pature/pen you will find out why..............

Range/feed:
Worms are the goats worst enemy and they are caused by the condition that you describe you are going to keep them. A dry lot with NO grass is so much better for them than over grazed nubs of grass...........Intestinal worms live on short grass when the goat eats this they injest the larva of the worm.............Goats do well on a bare ground lot with bermuda, alfalfa, or a protein type hay...........THEY ARE BROWSERS.......Yes, a feed/mineral supplement is necessary..........
A pasture that includes vines, brambles, poison ivy, small trees, brush is FANASTIC......Goat Candy........They do well in the same pasture with horses or cattle as they eat what the other doesnt............
We even put temp electric fence outside our regular fence line on the hiway right of way to clean up the fence line and areas where the state/county doesnt maintain.....Cheap pasture..........
Anyway.........hope this clears up some confusion without opening MORE doors.......just thoughts........God Bless........Good luck....proud that you are taking on this project WITH your children........YOU WILL BE GLAD..........Dennis

Last edited:

jwstewar

Staff member
Thanks Dennis. That helped a lot.

Right now the kids are 8 & 9 - well they will 9 & 10 by fair time, so you were right on the money::cool:

Fair is the second week of August. That will probably be the only place we show the goats. I need to find a fair book to see if I can find out what the different classes are. With what little knowledge I have, the only classes I'm aware of are dairy and market goats.:sorry:

I've got a couple of folks that I can contact locally that may know some goat breeders, so I'm starting that process. Also starting to scour Craislist to see if I can find some used chainlink fencing. Then it sounds like I can get a shelter set up for them in a day or so. Set some poles and some purlins and then either metal or tarps and call it good.

We usually don't have to worry about animals too much other than deer. But our 2 black labs' (kept in a pen most of the time) barking pretty much keep them away - except for some of my pine trees at the other end of the property.

D

D&D Farm

Jim.......It is kidding time right NOW. Kids are weaned at 9 to 12 weeks so if you are looking it is a perfect time to pick out what you need. Not to promote our stock; but if you are looking for a show stopper you might want to load your children in the truck and head on down this way........Good luck.....Dennis

Jim, From your posting location and the time of your county fair, I'm guessing maybe you are in Ross County? Not sure if they have a dairy goat class or only a meat class. Check with your 4H advisor/office to be sure, they can direct you. Most kids around this area raise Boer meat goats, and there are several breeders who raise and sell to 4-H. If you are in Jackson Co., I know they have a dairy class so you have other options. Check with your local advisor to find out what your options are. Other than that listen to Dennis, he has the experience to help you. Get what you can glean from other owners in the area, they are good sources of info. We live in Vinton Co. and have 2 Alpine (Dairy) whethers (fixed males) as pets and weed eaters and they are not much trouble to keep.

olcowhand

We just have a couple Pygmy goats...totally useless other than for pets. Goats are HARD on fence. They work normal wire fence till it fatigues from constant abuse. I went to welded "hog panels" and it will last & last. May be expensive to begin with, but NO mending fences & no goats running loose, eating the Wife's flowers & your favorite veggies!

jwstewar

Staff member
Jim, From your posting location and the time of your county fair, I'm guessing maybe you are in Ross County? Not sure if they have a dairy goat class or only a meat class. Check with your 4H advisor/office to be sure, they can direct you. Most kids around this area raise Boer meat goats, and there are several breeders who raise and sell to 4-H. If you are in Jackson Co., I know they have a dairy class so you have other options. Check with your local advisor to find out what your options are. Other than that listen to Dennis, he has the experience to help you. Get what you can glean from other owners in the area, they are good sources of info. We live in Vinton Co. and have 2 Alpine (Dairy) whethers (fixed males) as pets and weed eaters and they are not much trouble to keep.

You got it. Actually I'm not far from Vinton Co. I live just west of Londonderry off Rt. 50. Ross County also has the dairy class, but we've committed to doing market goats. We had to turn our projects in to the 4-H advisor last weekend. Thanks for the insight.

D

D&D Farm

Ol cowhand.........Not to diminish the quality of what Pygmys are good for; but for ALL types of goats, they will really bow one as they rub against it scratching and removing/shedding hair. We find that running one strand of electric fence about waist high on the animal TOTALLY eliminates their even getting close to a fence line. Sometimes, one will have a jumper that requires a strand along the top. We got rid of her instead of doing this.

Just thoughts........Dennis

Jim,
I guess that we are neighbors, we live just off the north end of Dixon Mill on Gibson Hollow Rd. Stop by if you need more goat insight. I can tell you about some local goat people. I came to this forum from Messicks Kubota forum so will be in touch on some of these other threads.

jwstewar

Staff member
Dang, we are close. We camp there at Tar Hollow. We are also considering some horses (I know glutton for punishment) and will probably go riding there at the Horse Camp. Be sure to beep as you go buy. We are right there on the corner of Sugar Run & 50. I'll describe the way everyone else describes it to us, that new house there on the corner where the one burnt there a couple of years ago.:wave:

BTW, I'll probably look you up to see where we can get some.

This is getting a little weird! My wife and I visited your new home when the contractor had the open house and met your wife and a daughter who showed us where her new room was going to be! Nice place. My daughter goes to the same school. Small world. I felt so bad when I drove by the day of your fire and I was glad when you started rebuilding there.

jwstewar

Staff member
Wow, this is way too strange. I can't believe there is someone that close on here. What grade is your daughter in? Mine is in 4th and my son is in 3rd.