Tracks on subcompact tractor

galeblanc

I have a New Holland 1025 subcompact tractor. It's a great little unit but lacks traction in snow due to the turf tires. I was thinking that tracks like the Soucy units would make it an awsome winter unit. Does anyone know if trcaks can be put on these?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too would go with chains. Secondarily, consider bar type tires (R1's).

Welcome to the forum!

galeblanc

Thanks guys. Ice is not really an issue. We get 8+ inches of snowfall at a time and I would like a bigger footprint, thus the tracks. Tracks work great on the quad so I think it would be a real plus onthe subcompact tractor. You would think that's a market the manufacturers of track systems would be interested in.

20/20

It depends Galeblanc, tractors with tracks are usually much larger and are used in muddy fields etc... Personally I don't see much of a need for tracks on a subcompact just an over all view. If someones needing more traction then either go bigger and 4wd or get a set of chains JMO. Of course with that written it still might be a neat concept. Years ago I had a 4wheeler 2 wheel drive. I decided to cut snowmobile tracks and use them over the rear tires, and installed a set of snowmobile skies on the front. I was laughed at.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is your 1025 4wd or 2wd? If 4wd and tracks in the rear, what does that do to the gearing ratio front to rear?

galeblanc

Hi again. the tractor is a 4 wheel drive and has the auto 4 wheel drive option. When set in that mode, the front wheels engage when slippage is detected or I can select full time front wheel assist. There are commercial systems (Soucy comes to mind) for larger front wheel assist tractors already so developing one for these little guys should not be that big a problem.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
so developing one for these little guys should not be that big a problem.
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? What are you trying to accomplish that has been done a million times before (without tracks).
Honestly, if you want to buy tracks, buy them. Will they do any better then a $100 pair of chains... you let us know. Sorry for the rant but...
You have to get out of the turf tires if you deal with snow. I was born-and-raised in the snow belt south of Buffalo NY. I now live in the snow belt between Pittsburgh PA and Lake Erie. I run R1 tires on my tractor and have never met something I couldn't deal with. Turf tires are shit in the winter. Just go with something with a bit more bite and you're good to go. Tracks not needed.
EDIT TO ADD: Sorry for coming off blunt. Having a really bad day but still don't want you to spend $5K for tracks when a simple tire change should hook you up.

Brian