x1100c 4x4 driveshaft is loose

i just bought a used x1100c and was looking it over and the driveshaft that goes from the transmission to the front diff is loose on the shaft it act like what ever holds the shaft to the transmission is loose and it rattles at high speed what hold the shaft to the transmission does anyone have an exploded view of this or know how it goes together?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome! You can go to messicks eqt website. http://www.messicks.com/ku/86209 When you get there, sign in and put in your model ,then you can view clear parts diagrams of the machine and how it all fits. Sorta hard to navigate but once you get there, its good to go to. They are good folks if you ever need parts too. bordercollie

i looked it looks like i have to replace to whole shaft does anyone know what retains those shafts the pictures aren't really clear

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have that model or know anything about the new style RTVs but on my 2011 900 no yokes are sold separately. If you decide to buy a shaft, look at the one piece updated design if available on yours. Cornejo did a temp fix on the old style http://www.cornejo.net/rtv900/DriveShaftRattleFix.htm to reduce the rattling but if you have wear and plan to keep it for a long time it might be a good thing to look at a new one. bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it is time to admit that the weaknesses on the "New Model" are coming to the surface. the first ones were sold in 2014 i think. i have almost 4000 miles on mine but the hours are low compared to miles. when i transition from one side of the ranch to the other i use the county roads so the engine is full throttle and all out for several miles until i get there. i don't use 4wd unless i am dragging something heavy and want to distribute the load over all axles or on rare occasion mud. but that driveshaft has turned every mile.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Ok, at my current usage of 200 hrs a year +- it will be 15 years before mine goes out! Going to unfollow this thread :yankchain:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
It has around 3000 hrs 21000 miles

that is aprox 15 miles a day for 365 days for four years. if it is a 2014 model. i am impressed the driveshaft lasted that long. :thewave: have you had any other issues with the machine??? what year is it? Thanks for your imput!!:tiphat:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
wasn't there a recall on the suspension bushings? or was that just for the early models? or was it just for the aluminum hubs? i had my hubs replaced by kubota but i think the bushings were updated at the same time.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Well the bushings are cheap but 525.00 for the propeller shaft sucks

I agree. could a machine shop be helpful? maybe take them the old shaft and have them redesign a shaft with different components? all you need to do is match the splines and length.

Well I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and order a new shaft from Kubota it looks like pita to get out I’ve called all over trying to find aftermarket ones no luck when I get the old one out I might try to see if there is something that could be done to repair it

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That sounds like a plan. I guess look at it like a set of tires.. It's still not fair really-it's short life- but at least you will be good to go for a while.
I was just thinking today about this and other such situations regarding how customers are treated in many places. Until the sellers have some competition they can pretty much treat a customer as they wish. Like me, I've looked and looked for a good replacement candidate and it isn't to be found yet. I like that engine and the dependability my 2011 RTV 900 offers..So until there is something better, I'm at their heel's mercy. Just don't push me too far, I'll tell the corporate office- because we all have our limits. bordercollie

Lee1935

Well I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and order a new shaft from Kubota it looks like pita to get out I’ve called all over trying to find aftermarket ones no luck when I get the old one out I might try to see if there is something that could be done to repair it

You might ask around and see if you live near a shop or business that specialize in building hot cars, building new drive shafts is something very common. just a thought ☺☺