Kubota RTV 900 transmission problem - hardley moves in gear!

ovrszd

Hey, maybe it's the common shifter problem that's been discussed here before? Can't remember the exact consequences? Have to remove the shifter tower from the top of the trans and put the fork back in place or something like that? Maybe someone who has had that problem or better remembers the discussion can chime in?

PACKASAURAS

So I wonder.... is the shifter floppy when trying to shift or can you feel it go into gear and the RTV only moves sometimes? With only 620 hrs on it, I am hopeful there is just linkage out of adjustment. The fork could be bent and that would account for it working a little bit... Those forks are notorious for causing grief if forced into gears.... I believe it was Doggman that had one stuck in reverse years ago... collie

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11383&highlight=stuck+reverse There is a diagram of the shifter fork on my post of 11/ 07/ 15 on this thread of doggman's.

I am now suspecting forks to be the issue. We were just messing around with it and could get it to move. We got it to move 15 ft at one point. The shifter feels really loose and it seems like it falls out of gear. You can get it running then it seems to just slip out of gear. About to tear into this bad boy.. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

ovrszd

Yep, I think you are right. The shifter mechanism isn't holding it in gear. Wiggling around on it gets it partially engaged but then as soon as power is applied it slips back out?

Post pics of your teardown and results. Good information here for the next person that has this problem.

PACKASAURAS

Yep, I think you are right. The shifter mechanism isn't holding it in gear. Wiggling around on it gets it partially engaged but then as soon as power is applied it slips back out?

Post pics of your teardown and results. Good information here for the next person that has this problem.

Described our problem perfect, are these forks down in transmission? Should we rip the whole thing out?

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

ovrszd

Described our problem perfect, are these forks down in transmission? Should we rip the whole thing out?

No. It's a relatively simple thing. The shift tower fastens to the top of the transaxle. When it's removed the forks come out with it.

If you try this, take good pics and post as you go. Someone on here will have done it before and guide you.

Hope this is the problem. Be a relatively easy and cheap fix.

PACKASAURAS

No. It's a relatively simple thing. The shift tower fastens to the top of the transaxle. When it's removed the forks come out with it.

If you try this, take good pics and post as you go. Someone on here will have done it before and guide you.

Hope this is the problem. Be a relatively easy and cheap fix.

Going to open this transmission up and see what we got!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So I wonder.... is the shifter floppy when trying to shift or can you feel it go into gear and the RTV only moves sometimes? With only 620 hrs on it, I am hopeful there is just linkage out of adjustment. The fork could be bent and that would account for it working a little bit... Those forks are notorious for causing grief if forced into gears.... I believe it was Doggman that had one stuck in reverse years ago... collie

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11383&highlight=stuck+reverse There is a diagram of the shifter fork on my post of 11/ 07/ 15 on this thread of doggman's.

We look forward to a good ending. Best wishes to you . :) collie

PACKASAURAS

I'll be opening her up later tonight! Hope its a simple issue, and I can easily fix it! I'll post some pictures and videos as I go along for you all!

PACKASAURAS

Ok! Great news!

We went a talked to our local Kubota dealer, and they told us it was the plates in the back of the transmission. They said if it was scratched or bent that was the issue with it. I've got tons of pictures to share, and I can confirm all 3 plates were scratched and bent. One was bent very badly. Give me a few mins and I'll have the pictures posted for you guys! We plan on ordering new rings (plates, whatever they are called!) either tomorrow or Monday and plan to put them in Friday or Saturday (next weekend). Now the big question we have now is, are there more plates (or rings) up further in the transmission? Or are the 3 in the back all of them?

PACKASAURAS

Here are the photos from where we tore the back of the transmission out.

kWCiVm2.jpg

GZ7TlZD.jpg

IdbcLYT.jpg

gOeUxWD.jpg

hfW2uSm.jpg

4J3MZd3.jpg

I'll edit this post with a couple of videos once they are done upload to youtube!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great work ! Thanks for taking videos and pictures. I hope this solves the mystery . Now... I wonder how they got so messed up so it won't happen again.. bordercollie

edit, I wonder if the former owners backed into something?? weird... anyway , good detective work ! Look at the diagram of the transmission at the messicks site and you can see the plates and if there are more. My book is at the barn but can get it tomorrow if needed. collie

PACKASAURAS

Great work ! Thanks for taking videos and pictures. I hope this solves the mystery for you. Now... I wonder how they got so messed up so it won't happen again.. bordercollie

Not a clue. The Kubota shop near me says they have only had a couple out of 2000 do that. I think its due to abuse, this thing was ran by kids and teenagers mainly. It was ran pretty hard when it was running.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I signed in at the Messicks site and looked at the blow up of the transmission. It looks like that plate is $35.00 and the diagram is really good if you enlarge it with the scroll button. I just looked at the one thing for an idea but there are several plates behind that steel vertical piece. Great job ! bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It looks like the plates on the other side of the vertical piece are in the 45.00 range. hopefully they aren't damaged -being on the other side unless it was over heated or poor service. I can send you a pm to this page per kubota's "share this link" if you need it but to get the proper diagram, you would need your model/serial number.
I would post it but don't want to cause trouble for me or the forum- since this is copywrited stuff. bordercollie

PACKASAURAS

I signed in at the Messicks site and looked at the blow up of the transmission. It looks like that plate is $35.00 and the diagram is really good if you enlarge it with the scroll button. I just looked at the one thing for an idea but there are several plates behind that steel vertical piece. Great job ! bordercollie

Can you link me to this diagram? Please!