Kubota GR series mowers

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm thinking of getting something a little larger than my T2080 with 42 inch deck to mow the yard. Diesel and power steering and a 54 inch deck. I have a BX2350 but its too big to make tight turns and easily get around all the flower beds, under and around the trees and shrubs, etc . .

I'm looking at some used GR's but I'm not sure about the different models and any problems they may have. Theres several used 2100's and some 2110's around that look good and have low hours. The current model is the 2120 and theres a couple used available too. AllI've looked at have under 450 hours and seem to be in good shape. I've heard rumors about transmission problems with the 2100's that was fixed with the introduction of the 2110.

The used 2100's are $3,500 to $4,500, the 2110's are around $5,000 and the used 2120's are $6,000 and $6,900. A new 2120 is a little north of $9,000. The 2100 is @2005/2006, the 2110 is @2007/2010, 2120 is 2011 and up.

Anyone have any ideas of things to watch for?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Trying to reach a friend of mine. Awhile back, Kubota made a G series and a GR series. Hoping he recalls the details but my memory is telling me the G series was better than the GR series at the time.

How much do you need to mow? I'll always suggest a ZTR over a tractor if you have more than an acre. I had a good sized Simplicity tractor and it took me almost 2.5 hours to mow. I traded it for a ZTR and it now takes me about 45-50 minutes.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd the ZTR option over the GR. Kubota for diesel ..or Scag for gas ...but there are a whole lot of gas options, I just know Scag and am happy with it.

A friend just got a Scag and had issues with wet areas and hilly areas. Got stuck due to all the rain we've had. He upgraded the tires to AG type. Works great ..but has to be a bit rougher on the grass. I'd guess you have to be a bit more careful turning so you don't tear up the lawn.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry no help on the GR question Jim. Is a ZTR a possibility for you on your place? They do save time and make mowing a little more fun but ...sometimes they are just not the answer.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry for the delay in answering. Life kind of got in the way. Just had time the last few days to work on the mower situation.

I'm using the old mower for mowing and pulling the manure speader, dry spreader, sprayer, etc. i was trying to fix my mowing problem and keep the other functions in the same machine.

You guys made me realize that two separate jobs would be best served by a separate mower and tractor.

I bought a used Kubota ZG127S-54 today and will keep the T2080 to use for the other jobs. Up side is having a backup mower there if we need it.

The zero turn is a 2015 model with 231 hours. 27 hp Kohler gas engine with 54" deck. The S model includes led work lights and a suspension seat.

Only problem is someone changed the belt and didn't re-install the safety covers. :pat:

I'm going to have to learn how to drive so if anyone is in Virginia and sees an old guy on an Orange zero turn give me plenty of room! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_6407.JPG
    IMG_6407.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 23

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome!!!! Congrats. You will teach yourself real quick to drive it. Easy peezy.

I figure you will get done mowing quicker than before and enjoy it more. Do be sure to wear glasses to cover your eyes. Turning quickly with wind some grass will get to your face.

After mowing a time or two please let us know how happy you are with your purchase.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It has to cut the time it is faster and has a larger deck!

I've plenty of room to practice. Just have to be careful next to the flower beds and fences.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your new mower Jim!

A couple thoughts and tips.
As for the mower covers missing, this looks like it's a dealer purchase (as opposed to private owner). I'm pretty sure dealers either can't or shouldn't sell equipment without appropriate safety devices in place (e.g. ROPS if it originally came with one, safety switches and belt covers). I'd ask the dealer to get these covers for you.

As for the glasses, I only wear my prescription glasses which work just OK. To avoid the grass blowing back in my face, I either mow in a circular pattern (like you would do with a traditional tractor) or pause before making a U-turn (e.g. wait 10 seconds and have a sip of your beverage before making the turn).

A couple tips.

To avoid tearing up your grass when making a U-turn, when making the turn, don't pivot your tractor on the inside wheel (where you're turning the ZTR around and one rear wheel doesn't move at all but is your pivot point). When you pivot, it'll tear up the grass right there. When making a U-turn, have your inside wheel roll backwards while your outside wheel rolls forward. E.g. When turning left, pull your left control backwards while pushing your right control forward which then has both tires moving in opposite directions.

Working on hills - Not sure how many or how steep your hills are but here's a technique tip for steep hills. Most ZTR's can handle moderate hills but really struggle on steep hills. If you try to go horizontally across the side of the hill, the mower will just slide sideways down the hill. If you try to go straight up the hill, you'll get a serious pucker factor when you start seeing your front tires coming off the ground. What I found works best is to go up the hill at a 45° angle so you're splitting the vertical and horizontal axis's of the hill. By doing so, it helps negate the tipping backwards and sliding down the hill.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Spent a couple hours on the zero turn today. First hour in the front pasture. Big rectangle with a fence and nothing but grass inslde. Did a bunch of turns mowed the weeds and just drove around. Brushed against the fence a couple of times but didn't damage anything.

Even in heavy grass (6-8 inches) i could mow as fast as I was comfortable driving with a good clean cut.

I spent the other hour doing the front and back yards and the road side areas on both sides of the property. Used to take 2 hours with the old mower. my stripes aren't very straight though. Kind of looks like a drunk was driving :hide:

Realized when I was finished my hands were cramping because I had a death grip on the control handles! Maybe I'll be more relaxed second time.

He did put the covers on the belts.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a 61 inch cut and I do two sometimes three passes framing the area to be mowed before I go straight back and forth ....gives me more room to turn, and more room equals less marks on the lawn for me.
You will get used to it quick ..and mow with open palms to get air to your hands ...I do that plus wave at all the vehicles that pass by ...keeps me busy. lol

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have a 61 inch cut and I do two sometimes three passes framing the area to be mowed before I go straight back and forth ....gives me more room to turn, and more room equals less marks on the lawn for me.
You will get used to it quick ..and mow with open palms to get air to your hands ...I do that plus wave at all the vehicles that pass by ...keeps me busy. lol

Most of the areas I mow are fenced so I make a couple of perimeter passes before I start. I'm still at the beginning of the zero turn learning curve but I wish I had done this years ago!