JD 2210 tractor won't keep running when I take it out of neutral

slc3

Help! I'm a little old lady who can't get out to feed her 100 cats! (just kidding...).

It is extremely cold today, my tractor is kept inside an unheated building when not in use. I have a little bucket on it and a little TR3 rake. I use it to drag the driveway when it snows (about 3 times a year) and drag my riding arena(every 3 days or so, takes about 15 min).

It's been working very well for a long time, I've had it for 5 years. I changed the oil and replaced battery and cables at 200 hrs it has 240 hrs on it. Fluid levels all look good.

It started FINE. I let it warm up (yellow light), a little longer than usual, then started it, it started absolutely fine. No problems, no unusual sounds, nothing.

BUT when I shift into forward or reverse, out of neutral, it stops. I tried several times, I tried warming it up for a while longer, I tried raising and lowering the bucket (I can do that without it stalling).

I checked to be sure the hand brake was not on, and I checked the transmission fluid level. I went through the manual troubleshooting section already too.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a safety switch is stuck (or frozen).

I'd check all those safety switches. There's normally a few so you may need to pull the manual to see where all they are.

slc3

That's funny! I was thinking that it might be one of those switches! I just wasn't sure. THANKS!!! I looked at the sensor under the seat which has a warning not to deactive it...LOL.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In the owners manual for your tractor it says it's a switch but it's probably a knob (it's a lever in many other tractors). It's probably somewhere on or near the dash (or if it's a lever, it's normally behind your legs when sitting in the seat).

Assuming it's a knob or switch, it'll probably look like a little gear with a U shaped shield over it. Make sure it's pushed in or is otherwise in the off position.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would check the safety switch under the seat and see if it will spring back when manually pushed. It could be really frozen as Zoom suggested- maybe some liquid go in it and then froze up in your unheated shed. I have seen that happen even down here in the south on occasion. It could also just be "wore out"??
The pto switch will chime on our tractor when I turn around to look at the feed wagon as I put out feed with it.. Seems I am a little lite on the seat at times when I put a foot on the floorboard.... good luck, bordercollie

slc3

I put a heating pad under the seat for a couple hours, LOL.

The PTO button was ok, and everything else I checked was ok.

Yes, I understand the whole thing about not having a big enough butt to convince the seat sensor...I'm about five feet tall and I have to constanstly scootch back or the seat sensor tells the tractor to shut off.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I put a heating pad under the seat for a couple hours, LOL.

The PTO button was ok, and everything else I checked was ok.

Yes, I understand the whole thing about not having a big enough butt to convince the seat sensor...I'm about five feet tall and I have to constanstly scootch back or the seat sensor tells the tractor to shut off.

haha slc3. I know the feeling too as I am barely 5' 2"and weigh in at 110 and when I bounce with dry ruts the same thing happens - the seat safety button chimes and chimes as I bounce and the dash flashes the message "set in seat or turn off pto". I guess that is why there is a seat belt on 'em... anyway, good luck with that thing. I do hope it is a simple button problem- I would check any possible fuses too. God Bless ya. bordercollie

edit: On my previous post I said that the pto switch would chime- I should have said the seat sensor would chime "because" I wasn't detected on the seat- and it will do that when the pto is on. sorry about that.. bordercollie

Last edited: