John Deere 5425

sueky2211

My husband is mowing for a company this summer, and the John Deere he is using to mow with emits major heat from under the seat. He comes home every day talking about how hot his feet, legs, etc. get because of this. It is something he can hardly deal with, and he is no sissy.

Have any of you come across a problem like this? If you have any answers about how to fix this or what to do, please either answer in the forum or you can contact me on my email at:
sueky2211@aol.com

Thank you very much.

Sueky

jd110

There are several possibilities of excess heat from transmission area. First thing that comes to mind is hydraulics might be running in relief from some function not neutralizing properly or something is overloaded causing system to be in relief. There should be an audible hissing noise if system is in relief. You mentioned he is mowing. What type of mower is he using. Is it a pull type, semi-mount or three point hitch mount? What size is it? If it is too heavy and is three point mount, sytem will stay in relief and will heat up. If the three point hitch is out of adjustment, it will stay in relief. Try lowering the hitch an inch or two to see if the heat improves. If one of the hydraulic levers for scv's is sticking, the system will stay in relief. If there is a problem with the brakes and they are dragging, it will heat up the transmission oil. Does the tractor roll easily if he pushes in the clutch and tries to drift? Have your husband take some pictures of the tractor and mower and show any hydraulic hose hook ups and maybe we can help pinpoint the problem. If there is a problem with the tractor, not only is it uncomfortable for the operator, it could be doing serious damage to the hydraulic pump or brakes on the tractor so it should be repaired.

RJC2

I had a 2001 JD 5310 with the power reverser transmission that did the same thing. It got so hot I couldn't touch the transmission after brush hogging for a few hours.
Mechanic said they all do that, don't worry about it.
When you make him lunch wrap a hot dog or fried chicken in aluminum foil and tell him to put it on the transmission about an hour before lunch. Cooks them just right.
That was one hot tractor to ride in the summer.

Bob