Tire Checking

dennis

Three points, if I may. I'm new to the board and anxious to make some contribution, no matter if it's a little one. I have a 40' bus conversion, and as you might imagine, tires are a considerable investment. It has been suggested that some of the things to consider in tire condition is the date of manufacture, protecting from sunlight when it's practical to do, and movement. Since a motorhome sits for long periods, that doesn't provide regular periodic flexing of the tires, which keeps the chemical compounds "working" in the rubber. That, evidently, is what keeps the rubber "lubricated" and suppled up. Who knew? So, for what it's worth, I try to give my bus a run down the road a few miles at least once a month, or so. Maybe that's not an issue with your tractors, but, as it has been suggested, if the tires were old when they were first installed on the tractor, or if you let it sit for extended periods unused, that might have an effect on the tires. For what it's worth.
Dennis

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Another interesting thread.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

I learned a couple of things from all the posts. Don't Armour All tires. Titan is the biggest supplier of Ag tires in the country. You need to exercise your tires to keep them in good shape.

It's amazing what you can learn when you stay up late at night. :tiphat: