1st Tractor

sydx

hello, we just bought our 1st tractor, a Mahindra 2615.
Has anyone used Biodiesel? I couldn't resource if all of the fuel lines and seals are Nitrile or Viton.

sydx

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT sydx,
I'm not using any biodiesel so I wouldn't know, but I wanted to welcome you to our playground.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
HI Sydx and welcome to NTT.
Just wanted to welcome you. Biodiesel sounds interesting and I would like to know more but I'll have to hope soemone in the know answers your post.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

Has anyone used Biodiesel? I couldn't resource if all of the fuel lines and seals are Nitrile or Viton.

sydx

The only Mahindra tractor that can run full biodiesel is a 75hp tractor targetted at the Maharashtra market and has NOT been released in the U.S.

Mahindra Tractors launches India's first B5 bio-diesel tractor news
10x10spacer.gif
15 December 2007
Pune: Automotive group Mahindra & Mahindra's farm equipment sector (FES), has showcased India's first tractor with a 5 per cent bio-diesel option at the Kisan Mela in Pune.
Mahindra Tractor's bio-diesel range of tractors will be rolled out in a phased manner across various geographical locations.

So from the above comments if your tractor precedes DEC 2007...
I'd say NO...:)

Check with your dealer, but as it appears you shouldn't think of running greater than 5% Biodiesel...

sydx

Thanks Paul, et al., my dealer is new to Mahindra and I'm waiting for his input. With your info I can appear more informed and embarass him for a big discount on a new chain harrow. lol
thanks again

Erik

Thanks Paul, et al., my dealer is new to Mahindra and I'm waiting for his input. With your info I can appear more informed and embarass him for a big discount on a new chain harrow. lol
thanks again
good luck and more power to ya!

billbill1

sydx, I wouldn't try using any bio-diesel until it is proven not to be harmful to your rubber lines and injectors. Could be a very costly move. With prices the way they are, someone will give it a trial and post somewhere about it. I would wait until it's been tried and proven. Most of these small diesels use so little fuel that the savings would not amount to much. And welcome to the forum, good to have you. I think the Mahindras are a tough machine and you made a wise choice.

sydx

I can't remember when or what post, but Mahindra has said NO to the use of Biodiesel in their tractors. I have not seen the reason, but when the manufacturer says no and you say yes you VOID your warranty!!!!!

Mith

Sydx, if you dont mind me butting in, which is best for boidiesel, Nitrile or Viton? I see 'Viton seals' keeps popping up on the spec sheets of some of the components I order, if thats the one thats good for Boidiesel that would explain why.
Biodiesel is really something I should know more about.

sydx

I know this isnt a forum for discussing biodiesel, but 'cause you asked...the methyl alchol used to make biodiesel, will cause most materials used for seals, tubing etc. EXCEPT Viton, to swell, crack, dissolve and eventually fail. If the diesel engine is kruddy from burning petrolium diesel, biodiesel could act as a solvent and loosen all the krud and cause issues... filters plugged, injectors gummed up... and without the krud there could be lubrication problems. Same thing when we switched to unleaded gas.
Thanks for all the input, my farm co op sells Biodiesel, I think B5 (5%) and I wanted to support them.. oh yea and it's cheaper. Nuf bout that.

I know this isnt a forum for discussing biodiesel, but 'cause you asked...the methyl alchol used to make biodiesel, will cause most materials used for seals, tubing etc. EXCEPT Viton, to swell, crack, dissolve and eventually fail. If the diesel engine is kruddy from burning petrolium diesel, biodiesel could act as a solvent and loosen all the krud and cause issues... filters plugged, injectors gummed up... and without the krud there could be lubrication problems. Same thing when we switched to unleaded gas.
Thanks for all the input, my farm co op sells Biodiesel, I think B5 (5%) and I wanted to support them.. oh yea and it's cheaper. Nuf bout that.

Nice answer...:)

Don't worry...Threads migrate...:D

If we get too far afield...DOC or someone will let us know...:rolleyes:

Mith

Sydx, thanks for the reply, that explains why they are making a big deal out of the Viton seals.
I could go on and ask questions about biofuels all night.....

Dont worry about going off topic BTW, if we didnt stray off we'd miss all sorts of interesting things.

Bindian

Mahindra says no to bio diesel because it gums up your injectors, injector pump. I have an offical statement somewhere, I will have to look for it.
hugs, Brandi