Another Drive Shaft Story

rbarger

I checked the front drive shaft on my new to me 2005 RTV today. I found the yokes and the joints bad. The rear yoke at the transmission had been updated to the kind that clamps onto the spline. When I called about the front shaft I discovered there is a 24" and a 25" shaft. Mine has a 24" shaft but the rear yoke near the carrier bearing only goes up on the rear shaft about an inch. I was just thinking that if that extra inch on the 25" shaft is because of an inch longer yoke it would help the stability of that yoke. Has anyone experienced this? Will the 25" shaft replace the 24" shaft? There appears to be plenty of room if the yoke is just longer.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I checked the front drive shaft on my new to me 2005 RTV today. I found the yokes and the joints bad. The rear yoke at the transmission had been updated to the kind that clamps onto the spline. When I called about the front shaft I discovered there is a 24" and a 25" shaft. Mine has a 24" shaft but the rear yoke near the carrier bearing only goes up on the rear shaft about an inch. I was just thinking that if that extra inch on the 25" shaft is because of an inch longer yoke it would help the stability of that yoke. Has anyone experienced this? Will the 25" shaft replace the 24" shaft? There appears to be plenty of room if the yoke is just longer.

Hi rbarger. I wonder if it would fit together though if you went with the longer one, if I remember correctly, from replacing my '05 a couple of times, it was close getting it all back up with the replacement I got- I don't remember having a choice on length. I'd ask the parts guy if it were me- maybe they will let you take both and try them to find the best fit.
My 2011 has the single piece shaft from the front to the transmission with no carrier bearing to worry about whereas my '05 came with the 2 pc connecting at the carrier bearing. bordercollie

rbarger

The only down fall with that is I was planning on ordering from Messick's. I'll check the local Kubota dealer tomorrow but I bet they don't stock the shafts. Like I said earlier if the extra length is in the shaft and not the yoke I don;t think it would help any. 1400hrs It may be the first replacement.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Messicks are good to do business with. I bet their parts people can figure this out - Just have your serial number handy . Best wishes to you ! collie

rbarger

Talked with Messick's today and my serial# called for the 24" but they said it could be either one. I was going to call Kubota but the web site says they don't provide tech service. They just refer you to a dealer.

rbarger

Shaft is due in tomorrow. I found out that the 25" will not replace the 24". I am going to try and reduce some of the slack by copying some or Yanmar ideas they use on their front drive shafts. I'll post some pictures when I get started.

rbarger

Put the 900 back together today. Still not completely happy with it. This was a very bad design by Kubota. When they developed the one piece drive shaft they should have offered it to the owners of the ones with the old system at a discount. I used some of the ideas I got from this forum and copied some from Yanmar's way they do their 4wd shafts. It turns smooth and quiet now but I'm sure it want last forever.

Attachments

• 0318170943a.jpg
    0318170943a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 0318170940.jpg
    0318170940.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 0318170855.jpg
    0318170855.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 0318170943.jpg
    0318170943.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 0318170824.jpg
    0318170824.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 54

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Put the 900 back together today. Still not completely happy with it. This was a very bad design by Kubota. When they developed the one piece drive shaft they should have offered it to the owners of the ones with the old system at a discount. I used some of the ideas I got from this forum and copied some from Yanmar's way they do their 4wd shafts. It turns smooth and quiet now but I'm sure it want last forever.

Good work rbarger . At least you've got it done and behind you for a while. I agree on the design and what would / could have been a really good customer relationship deal.. I ended up buying 2 of the 3 replacements for my "05 . ( the first one was replaced under warranty). What I noticed on the last replacement was that the constant jiggling of the cast iron yoke on the splined steel shaft (coming out of the transmission) produced significant wear on those shaft splines... Thank you for the great pictures . They are a true asset to the forum. :tiphat: collie

edit : added tag "drive shaft fix"