Tractor usage

I was born and raised in Nebraska, too much cold and to much snow.:letitsnow: I like my winter about 3 or 4 months long. :fishing: That"s why I stayed in Texas when I retired from the army.

Bindian

I play on mine and use it to unwind. I have been turning down paying job offers. Maybe after I finish my place (is it ever really finished?) I will do some paying jobs with it.
hugs, Brandi

SPYDERLK

I play on mine and use it to unwind. I have been turning down paying job offers. Maybe after I finish my place (is it ever really finished?) I will do some paying jobs with it.
hugs, Brandi
If you have enuf money you dont get into a habit working for others. Life is short. Work for those who are special and for yourself. Being satisfied is good.
I am retired and work a 2d/wk technical job to maintain my level of solvency. The rest of the time is mine to maintain and improve the farm and its ability to produce income. Im almost satisfied - totally, when the tractorins good!
larry

xlr82v2

I'm just a "weekend warrior" I guess... although whenever I'm home with my unpredictable work schedule (corporate jet pilot) I'm always doing something with the tractor.

I've been thinking hard about getting a rear tiller for my tractor and then going into the garden plowing/tilling business. My Dad has been doing that with his little JD 650 ever since he bought it new back in 1984... although I think my 3525 is a bit on the large side for that business.

I was really hoping for some real snow when this past system went through the area, I was going to drive the tractor into town and clear driveways for $5... I figured I could clear the average driveway in town in about 3-5 minutes, and in probably 2-3 hours, I could cover the whole town (small town;)). But, we only got about 2 inches :rolleyes:

Dougster

Old Member
I was really hoping for some real snow when this past system went through the area, I was going to drive the tractor into town and clear driveways for $5... I figured I could clear the average driveway in town in about 3-5 minutes, and in probably 2-3 hours, I could cover the whole town (small town;)). But, we only got about 2 inches :rolleyes:
Oh, we've got to have a long talk!!! :waiting:

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Did I make a minor miscalculation? :pat:
I'm just glad you don't live in MY town! :mrgreen: It's bad enough I am dealing with $20.00 per push competition. I don't know how those guys can even break even. :confused: My plow truck, fully-loaded, averages between 4.5 and 5.5 miles per gallon on plowing runs. Insurance is through the roof and plow-outfitted pickup trucks are running around $30,000 new. Adding the time I spend giving out quotes, putting together contracts, doing the actual plowing, sending bills, dealing with deadbeats, etc., etc., etc... I am working for roughly $1.57 per hour. From that I must pay self-employment tax as well as state and federal income taxes. :(

And you all wonder why I am DIRT poor. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bindian

I'm just a "weekend warrior" I guess... although whenever I'm home with my unpredictable work schedule (corporate jet pilot) I'm always doing something with the tractor.

I've been thinking hard about getting a rear tiller for my tractor and then going into the garden plowing/tilling business. My Dad has been doing that with his little JD 650 ever since he bought it new back in 1984... although I think my 3525 is a bit on the large side for that business.

Brian,
I was going to be a corporate pilot, but a counselor at Spartan Aeronautical University talked me into getting my mechanics license and hang out at the airport. There I saw where y'all pilots eat (the vending machines) and wait:waiting: (sleeping in an uncomfortable chair) and I decided I liked working with my hands more. ;)
I don't think your 3525 is too big to do custom tilling. I know of a guy in Kentucky that uses a 6500.:thumb: It just depends on the size of the garden!:pat:
hugs, Brandi

xlr82v2

Dougster,

Naw, it's nothing like that... I live about 3 1/2 miles from a little town of 350 people. I could just drive the tractor into town... and, the biggest houses might have a 2 car garage. I was just figuring that I could clear the average "driveway" there in town in about 3 to 5 minutes tops... really about 2 passes about 40-50ft long if even that much. I thought $5 for that little bit of nothing would be gouging them pretty good going door to door! I'm not shoveling sidewalks... If I can't do it from the seat, it's not getting done by me ;)

For a real "contract" job like clearing parking lots, etc., I'd certainly have to put more thought into pricing than that!

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, Naw, it's nothing like that... I live about 3 1/2 miles from a little town of 350 people. I could just drive the tractor into town... and, the biggest houses might have a 2 car garage. I was just figuring that I could clear the average "driveway" there in town in about 3 to 5 minutes tops... really about 2 passes about 40-50ft long if even that much. I thought $5 for that little bit of nothing would be gouging them pretty good going door to door! I'm not shoveling sidewalks... If I can't do it from the seat, it's not getting done by me ;) For a real "contract" job like clearing parking lots, etc., I'd certainly have to put more thought into pricing than that!
Well, all I can say is give it a "go" and see how you make out. :) I'm certainly glad that you're not here in Eastern Taxachusetts where the competition is already cut-throat... but maybe that price is normal for small towns out in your neck of the woods! Certainly sounds like a darn good bargain to me! :thumb:

Dougster

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's a rule of thumb that says don't list anything on Ebay under $20, you'd never cover your overhead.

I think that applies here as well - $20 minimum for a moment's work plus the 20 minutes conversation invested in arranging it and getting paid.

Dougster

Old Member
There's a rule of thumb that says don't list anything on Ebay under $20, you'd never cover your overhead. I think that applies here as well - $20 minimum for a moment's work plus the 20 minutes conversation invested in arranging it and getting paid.
Oh you got that right... but it's even worse than you might think when it comes to snowplowing. Example: So far three of my customers are all done for the year after 1 billable storm for each. One got his snowblower repaired, one has ordered a snowblower, and one lady went with a neighbor friend guy $5 cheaper than moi. Above staggering fixed costs for advertising and insurance, each of those client accounts required phone calls, e-mails, a site visit with sketches and photos taken, more emails, development & execution of a service agreement, changing my schedule & route to accomodate, entering all the data into quickbooks, running the bills, more emails to cancel and more time to closeout their accounts and reschedule again. On those particular clients, I ended up working for an average of about 80 cents (net profit in pocket) per hour.

Dougster

xlr82v2

Brian,
I was going to be a corporate pilot, but a counselor at Spartan Aeronautical University talked me into getting my mechanics license and hang out at the airport. There I saw where y'all pilots eat (the vending machines) and wait:waiting: (sleeping in an uncomfortable chair) and I decided I liked working with my hands more. ;)
I don't think your 3525 is too big to do custom tilling. I know of a guy in Kentucky that uses a 6500.:thumb: It just depends on the size of the garden!:pat:
hugs, Brandi

Brandi,

Did you ever get your PPL (private pilot's license)? I always wanted to get my A&P, but I wanted to fly more, and I was always afraid (and rightfully so) that if I had both A&P and Pilot certificates, I'd be stuck on the ground turning wrenches more than I'd be flying... especially if the flight department had more than 2 or 3 pilots. So, no A&P for me... yet. If something ever happens that I can't fly anymore, I'll be starting on my A&P ticket the next day. I'd try to go more toward the Powerplant side... I really have no desire to work with sheet metal... that is truly an art, and I'm no artist:respect:!! And, I just love aircraft engines... I'm fascinated by them, especially gas turbines... it's just amazing how a machine that small can produce that much power, especially compared to a piston engine. I'd really love to go back to school and get a metallurgy degree and then go to Rocketdyne or NASA or such and work on rocket engines... That's my dream... but I know it will never happen. Oh well, :)

Bindian

Brandi,

Did you ever get your PPL (private pilot's license)? I always wanted to get my A&P, but I wanted to fly more, and I was always afraid (and rightfully so) that if I had both A&P and Pilot certificates, I'd be stuck on the ground turning wrenches more than I'd be flying... especially if the flight department had more than 2 or 3 pilots. So, no A&P for me... yet. If something ever happens that I can't fly anymore, I'll be starting on my A&P ticket the next day. I'd try to go more toward the Powerplant side... I really have no desire to work with sheet metal... that is truly an art, and I'm no artist:respect:!! And, I just love aircraft engines... I'm fascinated by them, especially gas turbines... it's just amazing how a machine that small can produce that much power, especially compared to a piston engine. I'd really love to go back to school and get a metallurgy degree and then go to Rocketdyne or NASA or such and work on rocket engines... That's my dream... but I know it will never happen. Oh well, :)
Brian,
I took a few hours instruction. Trading 3 maintenance hours for 1 flight hour in a Cessna 152. I still had to pay the flight instructor. But the instructor kept asking me mx questions while I was trying to fly. That and the fact of the young'ens at home and I never got more than 5.9 hours. I specialize in Sheetmetal. Jet engine theory is real simple....Suck.....Squeeze.....Bang.....Blow. :rolleyes: That is all there is to it.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Jet engine theory is real simple.... Suck..... Squeeze..... Bang..... Blow. :rolleyes: That is all there is to it.
hugs, Brandi
Oh, that's gonna make me feel real secure next time I am up in an SWA 737!!! :eek:

I hope you later made it past lesson one!!! ;)

Dougster

Last edited:

Bindian

Oh, that's gonna make me feel real secure next time I am up in an SWA 737!!! :eek:

I hope you later made in past lesson one!!! ;)

Dougster
Dougster,
That is all there is to a jet engine. Everything else is tached on to keep the airplane systems operating and the passengers comfortable. Well, not everything. You still need a monkey sitting up on top of it near the inlet feeding it.:yum::yum::yum: Lesson two..... don't feed the Humidity Snake.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, That is all there is to a jet engine. Everything else is tached on to keep the airplane systems operating and the passengers comfortable. Well, not everything. You still need a monkey sitting up on top of it near the inlet feeding it.:yum::yum::yum: Lesson two..... don't feed the Humidity Snake.
hugs, Brandi
Now you forget that I came out of the electric power industry where we used lots of aeroderivative engines in peak power production and cogeneration plants. I know they aren't quite that simple 'cause I was the guy they'd send in after they blew themselves apart occasionally! :eek:

Dougster

Bindian

Now you forget that I came out of the electric power industry where we used lots of aeroderivative engines in peak power production and cogeneration plants. I know they aren't quite that simple 'cause I was the guy they'd send in after they blew themselves apart occasionally! :eek:

Dougster
Oh, a souvenir hunter, huh? Been there, done that, got the pieces to prove it. I loved it how the pilot wrote up in the log book documenting that his engine blew apart on takeoff..................#1 Engine burped on takeoff.
hugs, Brandi