Humor

My feeelings on this is that it will be ok for awhile then someone will get their feelings hurt, or someone do a nasty and make someone mad.

Mark777

IMHO and what I’ve experienced on other tractor forums is, as the forum grows (and we are every day) the guests, members and staff become varied with diversified backgrounds. Risqué’ and scantly clad beauties with a punch line or sub-title I find enjoyable and humorous…but other members with cultural differences and upbringing may, and do protest. The most often complaint is “This is a family based Forum and the contents are NOT suitable for all members”…and it is a valid point.

The only way I’ve seen a ‘Jokes & Humor’ designated area work is if you have two separate forums. One for “G” rated content, open and visible by the general public and the other “PG” rated where a member subscribes with a forum password for viewing and posting…. Hidden and less accessible, there is no room for the majority of people easily offended to complain.

Apparently what we think is funny now, six months down the road and the post, should it be resurrected, other and newer members find it offensive and not suitable. Making two forums where one has threads openly and the other hidden prevents this from happening at it’s inception. The effort for this compromise is well worth it as we get to keep all members regardless of their sensitivity levels to off color humor.

irwin

What a different world we live in, now ethnic jokes look like this ..................

ethnic 1 (E1) and ethnic 2 (E2) are tired of bearing the brunt of all the ethnic jokes. They get together and decide to play a football game, loser becomes the brunt of all ethnic jokes for a year. The game goes on for hours, 0 to 0, no score. E1 gets so exhausted they give up and go to the locker room. 7 plays later E2 scores !

I'm glad they're teaching kids in school not to accept bullying, and to accept other races and cultures :thumb: , my early years are filled with concepts of "better than" :soapbox: , Polish jokes, Irish jokes etc.:sad: :respect: (I'm part Polish and Irish):mrgreen:

The other side of this coin is political correctness:badidea:

However a funny story (to me) is still funny (to me) :whistle:

xPosTech

IMHO and what I’ve experienced on other tractor forums is, as the forum grows (and we are every day) the guests, members and staff become varied with diversified backgrounds. Risqué’ and scantly clad beauties with a punch line or sub-title I find enjoyable and humorous…but other members with cultural differences and upbringing may, and do protest. The most often complaint is “This is a family based Forum and the contents are NOT suitable for all members”…and it is a valid point.

The only way I’ve seen a ‘Jokes & Humor’ designated area work is if you have two separate forums. One for “G” rated content, open and visible by the general public and the other “PG” rated where a member subscribes with a forum password for viewing and posting…. Hidden and less accessible, there is no room for the majority of people easily offended to complain.

Apparently what we think is funny now, six months down the road and the post, should it be resurrected, other and newer members find it offensive and not suitable. Making two forums where one has threads openly and the other hidden prevents this from happening at it’s inception. The effort for this compromise is well worth it as we get to keep all members regardless of their sensitivity levels to off color humor.

Sorta like the back room (parts) at the tractor store, huh? I sorta like that. Requested entry only. May contain anecdotes collected from fertilizer salesmen. Put the off color ones "Behind the Green Door"? :mrgreen:

This is what happens when you don't think before doin' (or askin'). I think I was infected with wrong questionitis when I was at the Houston Post. Which reminds me of another question but I'll wait until we have a back room to ask it in.:whistle:

There has been a few times I've taken something apart and then couldn't get it back together (a very few - note the singular verb).:smartass: So how do you get the top back on the can?

Which reminds me, do you know that a worm would rather work at improving hard ground than go fishing?:fishing: :biggrin:

Ted:hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc,
Maybe this is an idea for the extra vBulletin license you have setting around.

I was speaking of an additional forum here on NTT. With the joke forums being a big draw for FF I would have a hard time running a humor only forum. Besides the license is not 'extra' any longer. I'm using it and will announce the new site sometime soon. It has a name a lot like this one .... http://www.netmoneytalk.com/forums/ It is still finding it's way though. I was not planning on playing a real active role on it, but things have already changed. We have 24 members I think. :hide:

rback33

Please! :rolleyes: You'll have to get way back in line (behind the old Edster and that kid Jeremy) and try a lot harder if you are looking for that to happen!!! :yum:
Dougster

I knew there was no way I was gonna skate through that one without taking bullets...:mrgreen: I just want to know whose in front.. Edster or me? lol

Dougster

Old Member
I knew there was no way I was gonna skate through that one without taking bullets...:mrgreen: I just want to know whose in front.. Edster or me? lol
Oh, the old Edster is still way out in front of you Kansas Loader Kid... ;) ... but he is older and wealthy and local (well, at least his work is) and he sometimes feels sorry for me so he occasionally gives up his infamous nightly lobsta and fillet mignon dinner to take the poor old Dougster out for a bite of something edible other than my usual nightly bowl of gruel. So the bottom line is that I let him get away with murder at times 'cause he may provide the only decent meal for me in a month if there is no snow. :eek:

On the other hand, underneath it all, we all know you are too nice a guy to be offending anyone... even though you sometimes give it the good ole college try! :badidea: And in mild retaliation, the poor old Dougster has temporarily renamed you as that naughty Kansas Loader Kid until you find some new respect and admiration for NTT's one and only official "OLD MEMBER"!!! :mrgreen:

Dougster

Anesthesia Humor

A man was just waking up from anesthesia after surgery, and his wife was sitting by his side. His eyes fluttered open and he said, "You're beautiful." Then he fell asleep again. His wife had never heard him say that before, so she stayed by his side.

A few minutes later his eyes fluttered open and he said, "You're cute."

The wife was disappointed because instead of "beautiful," it was now "cute." She asked, "What happened to beautiful?"

The man replied, "The drugs are wearing off."

Dougster

Old Member
I am still a loose cannon at work occassionally which is why my superiors will never let me go anywhere on business matters. I think my supervisors pop anxiolytic medications before any time I address the school at large events, but I am honest and will take my lumps accordingly. I majored in psychology after a brief period as a physics/mathematics/astronomy major, but I think I had enough meteorology credits to have qualified for a meteorology minor, but I was probably too high at the time to do anything about it. I knew many of the individuals who created AccuWeather.
Well, Lord knows there are plenty of folks to psychoanalyse right here just in case you ever run out of people at work. :thumb: You can start with me! :D Can you tell me why I am working for $1.57 per hour and eating bowls of gruel for supper instead of making the big bucks like I used to make in my previous career? Sure was easier on the old back as well. :rolleyes: How come I am happier now than I was then? :confused: Do I need psychiatric help??? :umbrella: If so, I better get it quick before my insurance runs out next month. :eek:

So if you had stayed in the physical sciences and gone with those folks at Accuweather... would you be better off than you are now??? Did they all become Internet bubble gazillionaires??? Are they still rich??? If so, can you call them up and see if they can get you a good deal on a nifty satellite hook-up??? :)

Dougster

Well, Lord knows there are plenty of folks to psychoanalyse right here just in case you ever run out of people at work. :thumb: You can start with me! :D Can you tell me why I am working for $1.57 per hour and eating bowls of gruel for supper instead of making the big bucks like I used to make in my previous career? Sure was easier on the old back as well. :rolleyes: How come I am happier now than I was then? :confused: Do I need psychiatric help??? :umbrella: If so, I better get it quick before my insurance runs out next month. :eek:

So if you had stayed in the physical sciences and gone with those folks at Accuweather... would you be better off than you are now??? Did they all become Internet bubble gazillionaires??? Are they still rich??? If so, can you call them up and see if they can get you a good deal on a nifty satellite hook-up??? :)

Dougster

Doug, as you have learned, there is more to life than earning the big bucks to be happy.:thumb: But unfortunately, we still have to pay our bills.:wave:

Dougster

Old Member
Gee you mean that's a Title? I thought it was just a description.:yum: :yum:

Ted
Hey, Hey, Hey... watch that stuff youngster!!! :bangin:

The unique and special title that I bear here on NTT was clearly intended and bestowed upon me as a mark of great distinction and respect for my almost boundless wisdom and experience. It stands for all to see as a symbol of the great knowledge and direction that I impart to other, lesser members here practically every day. :respect:

Any fool can see that! :) I see it plainly! :D

Dougster

jbrumberg

To All:

I try not to judge others so they will not judge me. Many of my patients at the psychiatric hospital used to tell me- "Jay if I acted like you they would up my meds". I heard that statement so many times that I had a "canned" reponse- "You are absolutely correct, the only difference between you and me is that you got caught and I have not gotten caught yet." There is a logical reason why I live in the middle of Nowhere in western MA- solitude and obscurity :noevil: . I can whizz off my deck or in my driveway usually whenever I want which saves my well water. As to NTT I find the comraderie funny, refreshing, and invigorating :tiphat: . As an objective measure I find that I am spending very little time at another tractor site where I used to spend a lot of my free time. Personally I think that most of us here are a little ADHD (as I am) which explains the strange track of threads at times :huh: . Jay :letitsnow:

Dougster

Old Member
To All: I try not to judge others so they will not judge me. Many of my patients at the psychiatric hospital used to tell me- "Jay if I acted like you they would up my meds". I heard that statement so many times that I had a "canned" reponse- "You are absolutely correct, the only difference between you and me is that you got caught and I have not gotten caught yet." There is a logical reason why I live in the middle of Nowhere in western MA- solitude and obscurity :noevil: . I can whizz off my deck or in my driveway usually whenever I want which saves my well water...
... but ruins the damn grass!!! :biggrin:
As to NTT I find the comraderie funny, refreshing, and invigorating :tiphat: . As an objective measure I find that I am spending very little time at another tractor site where I used to spend a lot of my free time. Personally I think that most of us here are a little ADHD (as I am) which explains the strange track of threads at times :huh: . Jay :letitsnow:
Uhhhhhhh... was that just my diagnosis??? :confused: Or yours??? ;)

Dougster