trucks-trailers-tractors

larryRB

I've owned Dodge trucks since 1974, haven't owned a car yet,, ( wife has her cars), Bought a new 06 diesel, like the ones in the past, only this one has a 4sp automatic and high 3:73 road gears. Pulled a friends 3830, and wasn't happy with the auto trans. We have a very hilly area, short, but steep up and down hills, and this is the first time I wasn't happy with the auto trans,, Ordered another 3500 with 6.7 and a 6 sp auto.. I've been monitoring several Dodge truck web sites and all so far are very happy with the new 6spd. Well, we'll see about the last week of this month when the new one is suppose to be here,. For myself, I have a Kubota L48 and use a BRi-Mar 12000 trailer, My machine is 8200 and the trailer is 3100, a lot heavier than that 3830.. Being one that owned and operated tractor trailers many years, ran town highway dumps and other people's various size trucks, I feel very knowledgable on class 1 -5's.. Class 8's have changed a lot since I owned the last one and have no reason to keep up on those today,.. Goes to show you what we think will work and last a long time, isn't always the way it works out.,..

larryRB

Just called Unio Pacific. truck is still in Mexico and expected to arrive in Texas this Saturday, following Saturday in Chicago. First trace I made the girl said SL and thought this meant St Louis,, Boy, was she wrong. SL is the county in which Chrysler has its plant in Mexico.,. Earliest estimated arrival at dealer is June 18th,. This is from May 7th or so, being in shipment.,.. Long time by rail I'll tell ya,

buckle97

Larry, I have noticed that some of the 2007 Dodge pickups have the 5.9 and some have the 6.7. Can you explain the difference to me and why they are both still offered?

:brows:Dreaming of a diesel pickup:brows:

larryRB

early 07's have the 5.9 and there are still a fair number of them out there at the dealers, The 6.7 is the newest one,, It is basically the same 5.9, only a longer stroke I think I read,, The idea of upping the cubic inches is to really meet the new emission laws,, Kind of like, slow down the timing and allow a longer burn in the cylinders, larger cylinders and pass the new emission codes.

larryRB

very slow moving. 7 1/2 days to cross Mexico. 30 hours from Eagle Pass Texas to Chicago, where it landed early hours this morning, Now it gets transferred to whatever rail lines to bring it east,

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It must have a lot of sit time on the way if you won't see it until June 18th.

Be sure to post pics when you do get it, and I particularly would like to see a pic of it hooked up with the tractor on the trailer ....the whole setup. :thumb:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yep that L48 does look like a lot to haul around behind you.
Heck, I'd be nervous if I ever put my little L30 on a trailer that I was going to pull. My dealer has one of those tilt bed trucks that will come and load up the tractor and take it in for service for only 50 dollars extra. I take him up on that offer as I don't have a trailer the tractor would fit on anyhow.

larryRB

we have short, but very steep hills to pull in this neighborhood,, Kind of like West by G-d Virginia,, That old Dodge pulled the 48 around with no trouble. My current new Dodge has a 4 spd auto and 373 gears which are way to high for this neighborhood,. The new 07 that I'm waiting on, has a 6spd auto and I went back to the 410 posi unit,, as this seems to be the only working ratios that work around here, Even though the 06 4sp "qualifies" on paper to do the job, I wasn't comfortable with the combination and thus why the order for a 6sp auto and 410's again

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
6sp seems crazy, but maybe that will help you get a little better gas milage than you would have with a 3 or 4 spd tranny. I'm sure you'll be glad to get back to the 410's. We have the WV like hills here also (since WV is just across the river). We have one extra long hill on a St. Route that speed limit is 55mph. I can be doing 60 pulling my 6000 pound boat and midway up the hill I'm down to 30 in my 1/2 ton gasser. I bought a 1 ton diesel and pulled with that for a year, but it also slowed down a lot going up the hill. I barely noticed the difference. The diesel didn't strain as the 1/2 ton did, but neither could climb the hill and maintain close to the speed limit.

larryRB

we had a farm outside Ironton OH, and the hills on that were the same as here, Then people from Columbus would argue till dooms day that Ohio was flat like Columbus,,, Not so.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You got that right. :thumb: I must've run into some of the same folks in Columbus. :pat: :D

larryRB

well, here it is,, the 6 spd auto makes all the difference in the world. I also had to go back to 410 posi rears because of our hilly area,, Had the truck three days and did a quick digging job other side of town,

Attachments

• newtractintow6157small.jpg
    newtractintow6157small.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 41
  • new07 tractorintowsmall.jpg
    new07 tractorintowsmall.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 41

larryRB

I wanted the heaviest rated trailer available 5 years ago and that happened to be the Bri-Mar 12,000 at 18 ft. Today, the 18 has been stretched to 20. The L 48 can't fit on all the way, and if it did, I would be so tongue heavy I wouldn't be able to move. I weighed this stufflast year, and the trailer alone is 3100 and the tractor another 8200. With me on the tractorl, probably 9000 or so,:wave:

PBinWA

I bought my 18ft 8K trailer last year and haven't put anything other than bark mulch and firewood in it yet.

Someday I'll load my tractor on it just for kicks. ;)

M

mtntopper

I will use my 24 foot beavertail Featherlite gooseneck trailer for hauling the L39TLB. My current project has been to install sideboards for hauling, slash and other loose type materials on the goose neck trailer. I had salvaged a bunch of plywood from another building tear down project so the cost to put the 4 foot sideboards together was very inexpensive. The trailer is dual axle single wheels and is rated at 15K. I pull it with either the white F250 super duty V10 gas or the F350 king ranch with the diesel. The V10 does okay with the lighter loads but when I put 7,000lbs on the trailer I use the diesel.
Building Sideboards On Gooseneck.jpg