Jerry can fuel pump

glennm

Hi
I’m getting tired of holding heavy fuel cans and trying not to spill fuel or develope a hernia. Has anyone tried one of the battery operated pumps and are they worth it? Also, would you be able to switch it from gas can to diesel?

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use one of these. They're great!

https://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-Pow...s=battery+kerosene+pump&qid=1596477044&sr=8-5

This is the auto-shutoff version. Well worth the extra cost. Never a spill and you don't need to watch it closely.

Rated 2+ gallons per minute. It seems faster than that if the source is higher than the destination. I've pumped UTF (tractor transmission oil) uphill from a drain pan to a jug. Moving that thick fluid uphill was right at the limit of its ability. I think these are widely used in Asia for indoor refueling of Kerosene room heaters, while avoiding spills.

As for switching gas to diesel, sure. After using mine I hang it up to drain before storing it. Only a coupe of drops fall out.

51MR1rp+K8L._AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
yes they work. I bought two 'turbo pumps' for 19.99 from a facebook ad. Pleasantly surprised. work great. Since I got two I use one for gas and one for diesel. I also heard Harbor Freight sells a similar product for 9.99. All that I have used have the auto shut off. Very handy for sure.

The one major problem I have with them is the pump end does not fit all of my gas cans. The new cans inparticular. I can force it in but when taking it out a part of the pump stays in the can and the pump will not work without it. So I have had to dig it out a few times and now I transfer all gas to be pumped to one of the two cans that 'fit' the nozzle. Looking for a way to enlarge the nozzle but have not had time to experiment.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The one major problem I have with them is the pump end does not fit all of my gas cans. The new cans in particular.
Yes, I should have mentioned that. It fits into plastic Blitz fuel jugs but Blitz went out of business a while back.

I got rid of a similar Rubbermaid 5 gallon jug that it wouldn't go into.

I think the dimensions are in the Amazon listing. Compare that diameter to your jugs. Possibly the cheap HF one is more slender.

glennm

Unfortunately the one you listed is not available in Canada. I will search around and see what I can find, looks like a good solution