New RTV 1140 owner.

KubotIan

Hi all. I dropped a quick post in the introduction thread but this is the section I’ll probably be in the most so I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ian and I am hobby farming about 15 acres in North Carolina. I’ve had a Kabota tractor for a couple of years but I just recently bought a used 1140 out of Maryland, it was a rental unit in Texas that was ridden pretty hard in the mud and I am bringing it back to suitably maintained unit in usable condition (I’m guessing it had not had a service for around 300 straight hours, but it’s a Kabota!) but I know there’s a lot of things to learn about it so here I am. I will try diligently to use the search function before posting any age old questions like what oil are you using :D

Upon receiving the unit (1100 hrs and black oil). I did a full 1000 hour service. I’ve ordered several new parts for things that I couldn’t get up to par ( Some pretty bad off skid panels and a seized diff lock hold cable(had a little bit of rust that I am going to work on, my current want is possibly a coast valve and a turbo from what reading I’ve done. Overall I’m happy with the unit, it’s in pretty good shape and after a thorough cleaning and fluid changes the engine sound right and the transmission sounds good. Looking forward to giving it a new life on a small farm with some good ol tlc.

Look forward to interacting with all of you.

Ian

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats. You will love the new addition. Good move changing fluids. Oil from diesels always is black when I change it. Nature of the beast I think. These RTV's are like dependable tanks. Tough and will get the job done. The hydraulic dump bed is so handy.

Enjoy and keep us posted on your RTV adventures.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
give us a pic oe rear off the unit and one of the transmission with the bed raised so we can advise on the coast valve. and congradulations

KubotIan

Mods, not sure how I double postEd so far apart, could one of you merge this with the other please?

KubotIan

And thank you for the welcome, I will grab some pictures when I pull it back into the garage for rust mitigation in the next couple days

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome KubodIan! I like your profile picture too !!
I had to unfreeze the diff lock on my 900 xt also- lot of those areas with pins behind the side panel could have benefited by a grease fitting in my opinion. I have a post on here about doing mine. The shifter was the same way. a little grease on the pins under the hood made such a difference.
It sounds like you are right on track and will have nice machine when you get finished with the "restoration". Congratulations !! bordercollie

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17929&highlight=differential

KubotIan

Thanks and a couple of questions

Thank you Collie, I’ll take a look at that.

Have a couple questions I can’t find the answers to. The first is the right front driveshaft seems as though it’s pulled out of the gearbox a little bit, it still rotates with the left shaft in two wheel drive and is seemingly engaged to the gears in four-wheel-drive but seems loose and too far out. I don’t feel like this could be normal, when the suspension is engaged (vehicle sitting on the ground) it’s a little bit loose but when it’s jacked up it’s snug, and like I said all tires rotate together.

Also this piece was in the bed of the vehicle when I bought it. I’m not sure if it actually goes on the vehicle somewhere or was just a random piece of something left over from when this was a job site vehicle, can anyone identify?

Thanks. Ian

Ps the first two pics are upside down looking at the drive shaft due to the iPhone upside down pic thing

Attachments

• AEABA3A9-9FBB-4DBA-8142-51679CAA9120.jpg
    AEABA3A9-9FBB-4DBA-8142-51679CAA9120.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 10FE5246-D9E8-4B8E-AAC0-22336D7904AC.jpg
    10FE5246-D9E8-4B8E-AAC0-22336D7904AC.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 731D7BE5-2997-42EC-8014-16FE69B8C694.jpg
    731D7BE5-2997-42EC-8014-16FE69B8C694.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 75
  • B41BB433-B4D1-4F81-B192-4AE42F7BC0DB.jpg
    B41BB433-B4D1-4F81-B192-4AE42F7BC0DB.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 77
  • E49D83AD-D8A6-4A6E-8647-195AB4BD8B3B.jpg
    E49D83AD-D8A6-4A6E-8647-195AB4BD8B3B.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 4EEE97EF-C9C9-4C98-9321-16F2301DB1B5.jpg
    4EEE97EF-C9C9-4C98-9321-16F2301DB1B5.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 75

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i don't recognize that extra piece. that front half axle shouldn't do that. inside that can on the half shaft is the joint that enables the half shaft to get longer or shorter as the suspension travels. i would bet it got froze up and over time the suspension travel stripped the circlip off from the end of the stub end. looks wallowed out to me. you can find complete whole front diffs on ebay sometimes.

KubotIan

Do you think it would be worth just replacing the axle first to see? I found one used differential on eBay but it’s almost $1000. It’s currently running OK with no strange noises coming from that area, so I’m not positive that that wheel really grabs in 4WD, if the axle is already knackered I could probably run it for a while longer before fixing it I suppose.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
it wouldn't hurt anything to disassemble and see if you can free it up. maybe if your lucky nothing serious is messed up. does the front diff hold oil?

KubotIan

The front diff does hold oil, I changed it yesterday and I don’t know when it was last changed but it was still within spec volume, albeit a little bit dirty. We’re running it in 2 Wheel for now until I can dig into it, our entire farm is essentially two valleys so I need to get 4WD going again ASAP. One thing I’m having trouble with is finding a Shop manual in PDF format online. It looks like maybe I have to cough up 100 bucks for the paper version on eBay?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
just remember that even if the 4wd is out that the front diff is still turning. doing more damage as time goes.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One thing I’m having trouble with is finding a Shop manual in PDF format online. It looks like maybe I have to cough up 100 bucks for the paper version on eBay?
At $100, you're paying near retail. At that point, get one from a Kubota dealer instead of a knock-off. Most here recommend Messicks for parts or information. https://www.messicks.com/

KubotIan

just remember that even if the 4wd is out that the front diff is still turning. doing more damage as time goes.

Yes, it might be knackered by now anyways. The wife got it stuck this morning with the rear wheels stuck behind a railroad tie. Even in four-wheel-drive and the rear wheels diff locked and spinning the front wheels did not turn or seem to pull too much. It does seem to grab and control better in slippery conditions in 4 though, is there some kind of slipper clutch in the front differential? I did pull the seats up and see the main drive shaft running from the rear to the front spinning while engaging the trans in 4 so something is turning down there.

i got my factory wsm from ebay. in paper of course.:whip:

Yeah I just coughed up the hundred plus on eBay to get a paper OEM copy. I’ll pull the front diff apart when it gets here. I figure it’s probably been like this many rough hours as a rental unit, so/ or so light duty here won’t hurt it to much more.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
that sounds reasonable. please take pictures and post your results and findings as you go along. these kind of posts really help us all as we find similar problems and fixes.

KubotIan

10 four, best case scenario in my opinion is probably a new axle, worst case is replacing the differential as well. I’ll keep you updated, thanks for the help

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
great, thank you. i don't know but i think that the splined female shaft in the center of the diff housing could just be a hollow splined shaft. and if i am correct it is more than likely that the part of the stub axle that has the three rollers in it is probably just stuck in the collapsed position by some dry mud or rust or something. if you look under the inboard boot and lube it with some oil and free it up it could be salvaged. i think the circlip that holds the shaft in place has come off from the end of the half shaft also. so you might be lucky and be able to just snap the circlip back onto the end of the halfshaft and pop it back into place. that inboard boot isn't a cv joint like the outer boot is.