RTV900 FUEL FILTER

Popo1945

fuel filter

Pictured is the is the bolt & barbed coupler (its for 3/8 fuel line) but use 5/16 coupler & line. And the other shows where the factory filter was & the attachment for the securing the fuel line to the frame rail. What miserable place to get to. I found that a good source for metric nuts & bolts are late model vehicles both US & foreign.

Attachments

• DSCN3169.JPG
    DSCN3169.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCN3171.JPG
    DSCN3171.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 319

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Popo: Really good and complete info on solving a little issue with the Kubota fuel filter setup. I'm going to be another convert to this application. Thanks for sharing the info and your photos. another example of what makes this Forum so 'exceptional." I think the ease of changing a readily available spin- on fuel filter will give me encouragement to change the filter more frequently.

I might add, I've not had any fuel related problems to date (knock on wood). I do use a Mr. Funnel when transferring diesel fuel from 5 gal cans to the JD tractor and RTV.

Keifer (aka Keith)

Popo1945

After reading the reply from Keifer I contacted Seastar Solutions (a distributor for Seirra products). I spoke w/ their tech support & they stated that the Seirra spin on fuel filters are for gas only. And they do not have any spin on canister for diesel that fits that bracket. Yet in their web info they state "filter media specific for gas & diesel fuel applications". I asked why the spin on filters should not be used with diesel - "I don't know, we haven't done any testing with diesel fuel". I have been running my set for over 2 years w/o any problems BUT, in light of the current info, I would NOT recommend This set up. It's back to the drawing board.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
You're still okay Popo, just go to a diesel shop and find a good diesel filter. Take along your filter, they can match one up.

Your mounting system will still work. It's just a system to hold a filter, any kind of filter that fits for any type of liquid.

Even the ones they now use on a furnace might fit.

Nice install.

My 3 cents. (inflation ha ha)

Mark.Sibole

Im still using the standard filter in the standard mounting place.Ive just learned from expierence that diesel is getting very dirty..I have a 55 gallon barrel i store my fuel in and added a 12 volt fuel pump like you see at a gas station and fill the machine through that.It has double filters on it so the fuel is pre filtered before it goews in the machine.It healps 1000 percent.
If you can even get a funnel with a filter in it it helps a lot.Eventually I may add a different more accessable filter to the rtv 900 but for now im just to damn lazy and to much going on with other things to fool with it.

TRIBUTE100

I like Popo1945's fuel filter setup for the RTV. The factory setup is a bitch to change the filter and not really an acceptable filter for this machine. I'm looking at this filter assembly:
http://www.dealsinapinch.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3003-3101&CartID=1
It's $36.28 shipped to me via UPS. I trying to find out the o/c dimension on the mounting holes. I found one site that said it was 2", I believe, but want to confirm it. The holes on my 2010 RTV 900 are just a shade over 2". This is a CAV type filter assy used on many tractors including the Ford 2000 to 5000 series tractors. It has a glass bowl with drain plug and a bleeder screw on top. I might need to install a plate below the filter as protection for the glass bowl. I plan to run my fuel lines around the vertical frame member between it and the fuel tank instead of thru the removable panel (mine is vented) as Popo1945 did. Will post pictures later when complete. Any suggestions ?

Popo1945

For what its worth. I talked w/ an Amsoil consultant/ dealer & he states that the sierra filter can be used w/ diesel fuel. So, I went to NAPA & they cross-referenced the sierra # to their NAPA Gold 3226 fuel/ water separator. NAPA called the WIX Tech Dept (WIX makes NAPA's filters) & asked about the compatibility of the 3226 w/ diesel fuel. WIX stated that it can be used w/ diesel fuel. WIX also stated that because of the method used to extract the water from the fuel it may need to be changed more frequently when using diesel fuel over gas - because diesel fuel tends to contain more water than gas. I went to the NAPA web site & looked at all the specs for their diesel fuel filters - none had the thread size that matched that of the sierra or the 3226.
I'm going to continue to run the sierra set-up as my rtv doesn't get the amount of use that other members' rtv's see (mine is an 04 w/ only about 400 hrs & I change the fuel filter every year). I'm working on a system that will use a small Cat spin-on filter - I'll keep you posted.

Popo1945

Tribute100,
If the mounting holes on the filter don't match the holes in the frame you could take a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum plate & drill holes to match the frame. Then drill & tap 2 holes to match the filter bracket. That's what I did to mount the Amsoil by-pass oil filter to the inside of the left frame rail.

TRIBUTE100

Popo1945, I saw in you last to me that mentioned the Amsoil by-pass oil filter. Just read up on those and it sounds like a very good product to micro clean the oil. At about $300, I'll need to think on that awhile. Thanks