tractor build

oldcountryboy

While getting over the sticker shock of new hydrostatic mowers, my son said "Dad I want to build something with you".

I've decided I want to build my own hydrostatic 4 wheel steer mower.

Does anyone have a favorite website selling pto parts, wheel hubs, hydraulic motors, etc?

I might make it articulated instead. Maybe based on the old Swinger loader design. Engine in back, mower out front so I can reach in under all of my tree lines.

Hopefully I can teach my son all parts of the fabrication process.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, what a project.
We had a member from England on here who built a tractor much like you are wanting to. His membername is Mith. If I can find the thread i'll put a link here.

oldcountryboy

I saw the Mith thread.

I did read the thread on the home built tractor. I know it will be a lot of work, but I want to teach my son everything I can. When I was growing up, I helped my dad cut off the cabs of 1940-50's era small grain trucks, shorten the frame & mount gravity boxes on them. Commercial purchased gravity boxes would whip side to side even at low speed. We could pull two at 55 mph in a straight line behind our pickup. My dad is now in his 80's and age has taken away his ability to work thru a project. I wanted to farm but he told me "Go get a job where they cut you a check every 2 weeks.". So my kids haven't had the exposure I did to all the basic stuff.

This is a great site. I recently bought a used Kubota & did a lot of research here before writing the check.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad we could be of help OCB. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.
Good luck with your project.