RTV-900 Best overall tire for snow plowing

Mark.Sibole

LOL Jamie.In a perfect world and if I felt a lot better Id have to take a trip down to see a lot of you.You are and have been great people here unlike me lol

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
........... any tire has to be better than the atv tires Kubota has put on them.

I swear, a wood rat could piss in front of them and the RTV would be one stuck machine.

......... two guns

Mark.Sibole

........... any tire has to be better than the atv tires Kubota has put on them.

I swear, a wood rat could piss in front of them and the RTV would be one stuck machine.

......... two guns

LOL I had that same feeling but it was more like a skunk up here

Mark.Sibole

OK you all have a gear night im off to bed tomorrow if i dont hurt so bad ill take some pics to post of them in the snow and on the hills Stay safe all of my friends

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My youngest son, purchased this a couple of months ago just to play in the mud and water .....

These tires are the ones that came with it. You talking about go....
And that is a factory, relocated radiator and air intakes on this machine ...
Goes in the mud like a mad spider !!!!
........ two guns

Attachments

• Rutgers Toy.jpg
    Rutgers Toy.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 171

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the Forum avantiguy !!! Glad you steped in !!!!

We are running ITP 589's. They do great.

Sounds like you need a aggessive tire.

You need something with a 1 1/8" inch lug. Ask our friend bordercollie.

May I suggest you go no bigger than 26" ....

You don't need 27" .....

............. two guns

P.S.
ITP don't make the 589's anymore. But there are several tires and patterns out there with the deep lugs that you might need !!!!

Thanks Two Guns.
Welcome to the forum avantiguy, :) I'll try to find a picture of mine but may need to take another because some of my pictures disappeared off the computer a while back.. I have the 26" Blackwater Evolutions and they can "kick it" in mud. Thick sidewalls and great tread keep me going in 2wd- All I have is mud or frozen mud lately - no snow -but They are good tires for me and give a decent ride too. If you put a lot of hours on your machine, consider multidirectional tires. These are, so I can switch sides L to R. They were about $600 for the set. I like 'em. a lot'
I did have a set of the tractor type tread among others on my '05 and they were great when new but when they got worn , it rode like an old horse.. clop... clop ..clop ... no joke.. You gotta know though they I did put many hours on my machine and it would be unusual for most people, not on a farm, to do like me. Come to think of it, I believe there are a couple of pictures in the tire sticky of my Blackwater Evolutions. Good Luck, collie edit to add.. tire sticky link follows with many members tire pictures :) ..
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14840&page=6

Last edited:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Mark,
On the yellow line. You might want to call your neighbors and tell them their window is open. To cold for that .

And on the Red line, Is that a dog or a coyote.... it's leaving tracks !!!!

Great Picture !!!!

............ two guns

Attachments

• Snow Shed.jpg
    Snow Shed.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 167

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ok bordercollie,
Hey, I followed that link you posted ......

Who's Tractor.

You know I'm a tractor nut !!!!

And, I see that it also been running. I SEE TRACKS !!!! Is that fresh dirt I see on the tires ?

Tell about the tractor !!!

......... two guns

Attachments

• Bordercolllie Tires.jpg
    Bordercolllie Tires.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 168

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Now don't laugh too loud or I'll hear you.

But these worked for me.

Here's why, plowing snow most of the times means you are on slick packed snow or icy surfaces. The small square knobs gave excellent traction and even when moving through deep snow, unless I did something really stupid, I was rarely ever stuck. Never required chains in 4 years of plowing.

Used these on my 900 for 2 years and then 2 years of the standard ATV tires on the 1100.

I had a cab on the 900, Kubota version, so both weighed about the same, no extra weight in the box required, ever.

Stuck while plowing, 3 times in 4 years, requiring 1/2 truck for quick tug to get out of ditch I slipped into or once when hung up.

Stuck, too embarrassed to say how many, while trying use RTV like a snowmobile or light weight ATV over mud, often.

In our area, road graders and front end loaders years ago all had big coarse mud gripping tires with chains for winter road clearing. Now all have tires with similar small knobs with no chains.

Attachments

• IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 167

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ok bordercollie,
Hey, I followed that link you posted ......

Who's Tractor.

You know I'm a tractor nut !!!!

And, I see that it also been running. I SEE TRACKS !!!! Is that fresh dirt I see on the tires ?

Tell about the tractor !!!

......... two guns

Hi Two Guns, That is the bil's butane JD 4020 . He bought it and a diesel 4020 in the late 60's or maybe 1970. One of them cost $7878 and one was a bit less. :) The butane has a front end loader and the diesel has a big box blade left on it so we can smooth up the road or feed lane when I don't do it with the small Case skid steer. To crank the butane in cold weather, we have to yank on the steering wheel real fast. We put one of the ...I forgot the right term... but it is a little valve to turn on it's line.. on the diesel one to take off pressure ..so it will crank easily. It really helps.. He made a canopy for them back when new.
There is a place up near Belzoni that has a collection of IH ( like 4)and one of the JD butanes all redone and sitting on the roadway.. but no signs just buckets on the exhausts.. pretty.. . collie

edit..mighty good details you are seeing.. you have a second job with the g'mt??? hahaha

Last edited:

Kanook

I have to agreewith Spudhauler on the knobbies. They work well on hard pack and ice, the big agressive tires are good in mud but the nobbies and even turf tires with an agressive tread are best in snow pack/ice..

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
This has been a most interesting and informative discussion.

I now have a plan. My tires are exactly like spudhaulers, Knobbies as you call them. What I will do before the next snow is to reduce pressure in them to about 12 PSI. Try them again. If I get an improvement I'll play with pressure a bit to see what is the best range for my setup.

If the snow is too wet or clogs the tires, I'll probably buy a set of Grim Reapers and put them on a separate set of wheels as they will help in the heavier woods on the property. Then I'll have the option of either for different conditions.

Jeeeze, the RTV's are like muscle cars, you can't just have one of anything for them. ;)

Thanks to all that participated, Bob