RTV is really handy

BaiJiu

Thanks bordercollie, I can't wait to try this recipe, I've copied it to my recipes. As soon as the ice is off the lake I will give it a try and if I get real ambitious I might just drill a hole before that. I live right on a lake and it is full of White and yellow perch, catfish, eels and speckled trout, the locals won't even fish for anything but the trout which is why there are so many other fish (fine by me). The white perch are large they go over 2 pounds and are a lot of fun to catch late in the evening. Thank you for the offer on the Zatarin's, I would love to try some but getting it here would be tough.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I like my catfish filets thin and if they are too big, I will "thin them and then have twice as much to eat. :) As far as a recipe.. mostly fine cornmeal with a really small dab of flour but not much at all. add salt and pepper and if you like it "spicy" a shake of fine ground red pepper. mix it up... taste with a damp finger and adjust if necessary.. To hold the cornmeal mix on the fish some folks soak the fish in milk, shake if off and dredge in the mix. Others smear the fish in yellow mustard lightly and dredge.. fry in 375 degree peanut oil, turn as necessary till fish floats , don't crowd or it will get greasy.
I put mine ,as it is fried, on top of wadded up or crumpled paper towels or newspapers ,(this is on a cookie sheet), to absorb the oil and put it in a low oven with the door cracked opened so it won't steam and get mushy, but still stay warm. Not a fire hazard if done right. I used to use paper sacks and newspaper and give it a good gentle shake ... but now the good old "Kroger sacks" are mostly plastic...
Many folks use Zatarain's fish fri (southern product).. Baijiu.. if you ever want a try of it I'll gift you a box.. just pm me..

And I agree with bordercollie on everything. But instead of cornmeal,
We use CORN FLOUR .... If you ever cook fish with that, you will can
never go to anything else.

TRY THE CORN FLOUR .....

May I add, when frying fish, or that almost goes for anything else. ALWAYS, makes sure your grease is hot. When you start and if your going back in for the second cooking etc .... .....>>>> Your food, will ABSORT grease if the grease is just a little colder than 375 degree. And yes, peanut oil is the perfect FLUID.
It can tolerate more heat and cooking. You can also filter peanut oil and use several times over.

And yes, Zatarains Fish Fry is GREAT.
THANKS BORDERCOLLIE !!!!!:tiphat:

........... two guns

BaiJiu

Thank you both, I have some great recipes to try and I learned several things I didn't know before. I have a friend who is a commercial fisherman and in a few weeks he will be fishing halibut, turbot, hake and some other bottom fish, I always get a bunch from throughout the winter so I am going to try those recipes on some of that fish.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Perch around here are totally plentiful and actually a pest if you are a bobber/worm fisherperson...MANY MANY MANY in the 4 to 6" range.For me though, clean em up, fry them HOT after dipping them in a good batter til they are crisp and eat them whole, tails bones and all like potato chips.......God bless.....Dennis ....

Now you guys have me drowning in saliva and cravin a heavy duty mess of all of the above......THANKS

BaiJiu

I know the feeling and I won't get over it until I get a good feed of fish. Hopefully that won't be too long.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have bought the masa type corn flour.. it is ground fine and like Two Guns was talking about (I think). I don't use much so if I need to fry some fish, I will just put some regular cm in the processer and it turns out so fresh and "corny" without the coarseness of regular corn meal. :) . The Zaterains is made with the corn flour . :) Yep, I'm getting hungry now! where's the catsup!! collie

BaiJiu

I never thought about putting the corn meal through the processor that is a good idea, thanks.