Hello! and questions

Mark.Sibole

Take it to a different dealer.Unless the engine is locked solid ithey shouldnt have told you its history unless they just want to sell you a new machine.There are a lot of shady dealers out there and always get a second opinion.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Given the cost to rebuild a 2004 model, $2,700.00+, and calculating the mileage 3,600 hrs X 25 mph = 90,000 miles, your mechanic is right on the money.

Too expensive to fix.

He is probably looking at the entire vehicle and knows more than any poster here just what shape the rest of this machine is real in.

You said they did all the maintenance, my guess is they now best.

Getting it fixed and running would just be the start to many repair bills later for all the other worn parts.

Easy to flame a good mechanic when they give truthful bad news.

Next steps, if you can afford the money, have him tear some of it apart to have a good assessment done of the repairs. Even if it's limited to say $100 to see if the head is cracked.

This is possibly a good buy for the DIY guy who likes to tinker and can afford the parts and do the rest himself.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I sold my '05 RTV 900 for 5200 with over 4200 hrs on it. The engine ran good and it used no oil and didn't smoke a bit. It was a clean unit. During that time though I personally replaced many things drive shaft 3x, front boots once, cooling fan with aftermarket and saved a wad ( http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13665&highlight=cooling&page=3 and had better performance., stop solenoid, rear ujoints 2x(thread on here too) . ball joints, parking brake light, power point, and I am sure there are more things I am forgetting,. I do love the RTV and the hydraulic part is a must for me on this cattle farm. I would never own another belt drive , never.. Just for the heck of it, I price a '14 and it with hyd is in the neighborhood of 13 + .. Wonder what kind of trade they would give you? collie

Squirrelwood

Thanks guys. I only turned it over to video the sound. I know it is just making it worse. so, I am figuring it out and it'll go to someone that was vouched for as solid. he will start assessing it and pulling it apart.
I do not want to drop 2-5K in repairing it and will sell it for parts if needed. We dropped 2K in it in 2011 to do injectors.
B

BaiJiu

I think collie has a good point, you can put a lot of money into an old machine and it will still be an old machine, the money you spent in 2011 plus what you could end up spending now would be nearly half the cost of a new one. Something to consider even if it had to be financed.

pop58

Agree with all the above. You cant tell what is really wrong till you open it up. That 2700+ rebuild is worth it if the rest of the machine is worth it.

Mark mentioned shady dealers, that is very true. I drive over an hour to a dealer I trust because the one 20 minutes away I don't trust.

If you do consider a new one as bordercollie mentioned I can tell you I just picked up the new X1120D for $15900 out the door.

I would also look for a local person that dose engine work on the side. There always seems to be someone that will do that kind of work. There is a guy by us that works for $35 an hour, you buy the parts. We have never had to pay him more then $400 in labor for complete rebuilds and he comes to your house if need be. He knows what he is doing and don't mess around.
I tell you that because a 2004 would seem to be worth fixing, even if you had to replace the whole motor.

Squirrelwood

Thanks everyone! ended up selling the 04 and we are currently looking at a 2011. Anyone familiar with Marshall Equip in Honesdale PA? just trying to figure out where to buy. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Have no prob paying to ship one to us in NY if it means working with a good seller. Thanks again for all your advice. Beth

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Neal Messick of Messick's in PA is an awesome dealer who has been around a long time and is known for his customer support. They have a quality operation. I first heard of them on another tractor site and after starting this forum Neal joined here and is an advertiser. You can see his ad at the bottom of every page here on NTT. Just click on that ad and it will take you to his site and give you a phone number and other info about their business.
Check em out and let us know what you think. You'll be glad you did. :thumb:

I clicked on the ad below and got this info to share:

Welcome to Messick's
Messick's has been a family business ever since brothers Marlin and Merville Messick started the dealership in 1952. Over the years we've grown from a two-person operation to a company of over 160 employees at our Elizabethtown, Abbottstown, Halifax, Carlisle and Lancaster locations. Messick's remains a family business, operated by Merville's sons, Bob and Ken, dedicated to providing exceptional parts, services and sales support to our customers.

2014 Open House Schedule
Elizabethtown January 27-February 1
Abbottstown January 20-25
Halifax January 20-25

a link for you: http://www.messicks.com/?referrer=NTT