First RTV1140 came in

G

New transmission is great, drives alot nicer, can even burn rubber! Conversion from 2 rows of seats to long bed can be done in under a minute with two guys. Worth looking at, even for someone considering a 900, the long bed will be a big feature for some guys. Price difference is not huge considering what your getting. There are a few changes to the drive components, the main drive shaft is HUGE. We where impressed when we saw it, but now that we've really had some time with it I wish we would have ordered more. </p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
seen one yesterday across the street from my vets office and they look nice.</p>

Art

Hello All,</p>

That is exactly what happened to us. We went in to look at 900's, to work on our property - firewood hauling mostly, and walked out with an 1140. As stated earlier, not much more money (approx. 1500.00) and the second seat is nice to have, but the bigger bed is even nicer (6.5 feet long with the gate down). Takes a little patience with the shifting issue. It kind of reminds me of a Military style jeep./cs/resized-image.ashx/__size/640x480/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.90/June-11_2C00_-2009-017.JPG</p>

Onfoot

Very impressive! Can see how it would be very attractive in lots of applications. Certainly I can think of times when having both the extra seats or the longer bed would be useful.</p>

The downside in my thinking is simply the long wheelbase, both as it relates to turning radius in the woods and the possibility of hanging up. I have had two old style Toyota Landcruisers in my time, one a 1971 short wheel base and the other a 1981 long wheel base. Both were built like tanks and had fantastic off-road capabilities. The main disadvantage of the long wheel base Land Cruiser was exactly the same as the 1140. And when the wheelbase was a problem, it really was a problem.</p>

So, all in all, I think it depends hugely on your applications. Even if they were the same price, I think I would stick with my RTV900.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Art ,</p>

Happy you picked us out of the crown of RTV owners >>>></p>

Super looking machine you have there. It will serve you well . Now that you are a true, bonified RTV owner, what are you going to name your machine ?</p>

These RTV's are made to work, sodon't baby talk around this unit, it's a man's machine !!!!</p>

Congratulations Art on your new ride !!!!!Keep us up to date on things with the machine, we are all watching you now !!!!</p>

............. two guns </p>
<div><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"></span></div>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
man lookin at that thing i see a colman 1850 generator in the bed with a soft cab all the way around and with a hard glass windshield . and on the rear window i would get the smallest 5000btu window unit there is that comes with a remote control and put it in the rear window and run it off the generator or a powerinverter off the battery of the rtv. then go ride around with the buddies in a nice cool rtv. man that thing is nice . they sure beat the mules.</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
I have to agree with Onfoot. While I see a lot of utility and commercial users liking the extra seating it would be too long for my uses. I have enough trouble now with high centering on logs and boulders. It is a sharp looking unit, just not what I could use.</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Art:</p>

Welcome to the RTV Forum.</p>

Thanks for sharing your purchase of the 1140 with the rest of us. The picture is great too. Your 'future' real-life experiences with the machine will be a great service to all the other RTV owners and RTV wannabe owners. Just from the picture I can see where the 1140 could be put into use hauling extra folks, equipment and supplies. I suppose like anything else you use, you will learn of its many strong points and yes, a few things that might become problematic issues. But, have no fear... share your stories, photosand adventures with the Forum and we'll tell you how to fix things. LOL. If you get your 1140 'hung up' in the deep woods somewhere you might even see a caravan of RTV 500's, 900's, and 1100's and other 1140's comeget you unstuck. If you don't think that response would be fast enough, you might want to look into a winch...lol. </p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

Art

Thanks all for the warm welcome. The wheelbase is, as expected, "two-try's" on the two tracks. No big deal for me, the extra payload volume was my biggest reason for the purchase over the 900. The day after we got it, it went to work bringing in the firewood for next heating season. And that job is continous. Today, my Dad and I started on my "wildlife observation post" aka the deer stand. </p>

Yesterday, the weather was so nice I just took off and went "bumming", crested a small rise and there's this critter running away from me. At first I thought it was a porcupine then realized it was a badger. I have never seen one in the woods before. I had interrupted his dig on a chipmunk hole.</p>

Onfoot

A badger! Wow! It is always a privilege to catch rare wildlife like that. My wife caught a lynx on our property last winter. I was rather jealous!</p>

And glad the 1140 is working out for you. Sounds like a good fit for your needs.</p>