Dang cold this morning.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Woke up to this and it got to -20 with a wind chill of -52 right as the sun was coming up. Got out my military cold weather gear and loaded the boiler and coal stove. One greenhouse is down to 30 and the one with the coal stove is 40. The wind is obscene and you can't stay out very long even bundled up.

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 104

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Muleman,
That is cold.

We only got 11 down here, and now at 8:00 am, it's only 16.
Nothing compared to your "COLD" ....
Yours has got my teeth hurting !!!

To me, that is to cold for the south. We not preped for that hard cold
like ones up north is.

........ two guns

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
When I got up it was -8 and wind chill at -25 here. I really don't like this crap.

Kanook

20f below a couple of days ago...getting real balmy today as it has warmed up to +4f above zero. The weather people obsession with 'wind chill' or 'feels like' is getting a bit ridiculous. 20 below is 20 below...Yes stand out in the wind butt naked and its going to feel like 35 below with the wind chill........But its still really -20..Put on some clothes!....Makes me laugh when people say the have to plug in the block heater on their vehicle because with the wind chill it is 40 below..You can blow wind at an engine block at 100mph in minus 20f temperatures and its only going to cool to minus 20.

Keep warm down south...know you aren't accustomed to the cold.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Still -9° here. Some windows on the house have ice on the inside. Put the temp gun to the inside of the window and it read 16°.

Power was on and off last night but very short outages. Well, this morning, the power went out and stayed out. Quickly put the battery/inverter packs on the wood stoves as they get really hot without the fans running.

Power is back on. Thanks linemen!!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a wimp... I am not used to working in this teen ' temperature stuff..... Maybe I need to sell the RTv and get a desk job... naw ,no way ....rather be cold and on or near my 'bota.... but seriously though, this is sure unusual weather....
I think it is going to be a summer of unusual temperatures too... I remember seeing frosty breath in our house when a kid but nobody had heat in every room then. Today, my diet coke froze in my cup holder (on the RTV) while I was there... I feel for my northern friends... stay as warm as you can and take no chances... bordercollie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Muleman and everybody - I'm sorry to hear you all are taking such a beating. Sounds like Alaska's weather got lost and ended up all over the East and South.

Opposite problem out here (North of San Francisco), we got Mexico's weather instead of the normal chilly weather and rain. A spooky hi/lo of 62/40 today and the rainy season still hasn't arrived. We've seen only two inches of rain since July.

At this point we wouldn't mind getting some of your snow.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We've seen only two inches of rain since July.

At this point we wouldn't mind getting some of your snow.
Dang, 2 inches over that period of time?!?! That's not good.

Does any of the snow melt in the Spring come your way?

Currently -5° here. Supposed to warm up big time today. All the way into the mid to upper teens.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Summers here are generally dry, its normal to not see rain until November. But by now it should be 16 inches working toward 36 inches for the season. Here's a station near me showing 2.37 inches to date. He links to this report for our region (North Coast) that has already declared an emergency.

The reservoirs and snowpack that California runs on aren't being replenished. Here's a report for a reservoir that is fed from snowpack and serves a half million people: water level is at 20% and dropping. Its too soon to tell but we may be heading for a repeat of the drought we saw in the 1980's.

Does it look like your storms are easing up?

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dang CA, it sounds like it's going to be a tough year if things don't change.

Things are getting better around my area. Temps are rising to a high of about 20° today and warmer as the week progresses.

50 miles to my north and going north from there (the area on the East side of Lake Erie), they still can have issues with lake effect weather. Since the lakes haven't frozen over yet, they can get a lot of snow with little notice. Muley - How's your area?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Tell you, nothing in this world suprises me anymore.
Most know, we also own a beauty shop. Yep, wife "BushHogs" for a job ... :wink:

And today was the first day back to work since the "freeze" . I cut off water supply to the building. Opened up the lines and drained what could be drained. Flush toilets and put anti-freeze in the tanks and bowl. Put anit-freeze in the drains. Thought all was well.
This morning, turned on water and one of the "hair sinks", the ones where them ladies lay back and get a head washing.
The hand held nozzle had a crack in it. DAMN THING FROZE.... Water started spraying and I run under the sink and shut it down. That just blew my mind. Never in a zillion years would I have bet that would have happened. This was the only one that was not "hung up proper" on the rack when not in use. So it just was laid in the bottom of the sink and undoubtably held water in it.
And NO, it could have not been any one of them other head sinks. The ones that you can call and have a part on the way in a day or so. It had to be that European, state of the art, did/lottie/ do/ whapper thingy that she said that shop could not go without.
I told her I would find her one, even if it had to be a water hose sprayer.
.................... she snarled >>>>>>

........... two guns

Attachments

• Hair Dresser Sink.jpg
    Hair Dresser Sink.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 63

BaiJiu

This has been a dreadful winter so far and it's just started, several times we had a big dump of snow followed by rain, freezing rain, then a deep freeze, we have ice every where. Driveways and fields are skating rinks. I just wish the snow would come and stay or even better just go away.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
all this weather stuff caused by global change caused by mankind and the inferno combustion engine and rubbing two sticks together to make a thing called 'fire'. i know there are two sides to that debate and i've got a pretty good idea which side most of the folks here on the forum stand on. common sense prevails.
was -39 here with wind chill last night. not a lot of snow here in sw pa. used the bota to haul firewood from the wood pile to the back porch. remember the Boy Scout motto,'be prepared'. stay warm my friends.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Tell you, nothing in this world suprises me anymore.
Most know, we also own a beauty shop. Yep, wife "BushHogs" for a job ... :wink:

And today was the first day back to work since the "freeze" . I cut off water supply to the building. Opened up the lines and drained what could be drained. Flush toilets and put anti-freeze in the tanks and bowl. Put anit-freeze in the drains. Thought all was well.
This morning, turned on water and one of the "hair sinks", the ones where them ladies lay back and get a head washing.
The hand held nozzle had a crack in it. DAMN THING FROZE.... Water started spraying and I run under the sink and shut it down. That just blew my mind. Never in a zillion years would I have bet that would have happened. This was the only one that was not "hung up proper" on the rack when not in use. So it just was laid in the bottom of the sink and undoubtably held water in it.
And NO, it could have not been any one of them other head sinks. The ones that you can call and have a part on the way in a day or so. It had to be that European, state of the art, did/lottie/ do/ whapper thingy that she said that shop could not go without.
I told her I would find her one, even if it had to be a water hose sprayer.
.................... she snarled >>>>>>

........... two guns

Oh brother, I hate to go to Ark then Two Guns.. I had lightly prepped the house there in Nov. ..cut off water, drained toilets -mostly and added antifreeze.. Got to thinking in the middle of the other night about the water in the front loader clothes washer water pump...
I hope you find that part asap.. probably gonna be back ordered ! Good Luck. collie

sheep farmer

SUPER Site Supporter
well I see on t.v all you rtv people are getting a bit cold over there now!!
well its 32c don't ask what that is in your temp im in a t-shrit shorts.
and cold beer
thinking off you all over there
take care

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
well I see on t.v all you rtv people are getting a bit cold over there now!!
well its 32c don't ask what that is in your temp im in a t-shrit shorts.
and cold beer
thinking off you all over there
take care
I caught on the news a couple days ago that Australia is having a heat wave with extreme temps. How bad is it?

BaiJiu

Sure wish they could share a bit of that heat with us, I've had enough of the cold temperatures, the wind and especially the ice.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
We are at 22 now and supposed to get to 36 today. Right now it is snowing so hard we have about 2 fresh inches on everything. Snow on top of the ice that is everywhere is deadly. They are calling for 40's with rain tomorrow and have flood warnings for ice jams along the creeks. The city of Ithaca is a mess from jammed up creeks over flowing and turning the streets to ice.:hammer: