Used 1140

ccmdvl1960

In my previous posts, I have mentioned I am looking to get an 1140 this year. I was planning on a new one, but was open to used if the right one came up. I just came across an ad for a used 1140 from my local dealer. It has 500 hours. It looks like there is some rust on the bottom of the front bumper (perhaps rust from a winch cable? - see photo) and on the tailgate. Otherwise, not beat up. Via e-mail, the dealer said they sold it originally, it was in for service and the owner decided to get a new one. The put on new wheel bearings, u-joints, and seals in the rear axle as the bearing was bad in one side (they replaced both bearings). I plan on going to look at it on Monday to really go over it.

What has changed between the 2013/2014 M.Y. and 2009 on the 1140?

What should I look for?

They are asking $9900. Reasonable?

Attachments

• 00Y0Y_1WAftvD8eXs_600x450.jpg
    00Y0Y_1WAftvD8eXs_600x450.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 173

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The put on new wheel bearings, u-joints, and seals in the rear axle as the bearing was bad in one side (they replaced both bearings). I plan on going to look at it on Monday to really go over it.

Machine can be sound. But, does it have a service record from previous owner.
Don't take dealers word on that either. Contact the previous owner and as him.
He is asking to much. PERIOD, And also, My question would be, why is the wheel bearing going out so prematurely ? U-Joints.
Don't let the dealer make you think he done somebody a favor by replacing
the parts. They should be good and sound on a new machine. That would be like a dealer telling you he put a battery that works in that truck. It should already have a working battery.
Machine looks good. Pull oil stick, on both tranny and engine. Look and smell.
When test firing the unit. See how well it pulls on a incline. How is shifting. How does the tranny sound rolling.

I know of a 2012 1140 RTV, 92 hours got bought for $8800 last week.
It was in perfect shape.

Price in my opinion, if it is in perfect shape. In the area of $7500-$8,500. TOPS !!!! The machine has done has some work done on it for some reason.
Dealer done made his money off selling the new machine. Don't let him skunk you on that. The price, 9900$, just to much.
This is just my opinion.

.......... two guns :tiphat:
P.S.
What are your plans for a RTV ?
Does your plans include anything off road. Have you prices tires ONLY IF you are going off road. Also, what about windshield, do you need one of them ?
What accessories is the dealer willing to throw in ?
Something to think about ......

ccmdvl1960

I think we got about 600 hours out of the wheel bearings on our Mule (that took about 11 years), but they were totally junk when replaced. So, that doesn't seem too far off. Never have replaced any U-joints on the Mule, but it seems that folks often replaced the u-joints on RTV's that didn't have grease zerks? None of these things seem completely out of line, now, if they said they had to put in a new transmission or differential or drive shafts, I'd look for something else.

If the engine oil and hydro oil have not been changed, I will ask to have that done prior to purchase. I typically do my PM in the spring anyways - one less thing for me to do if I buy it.

I am going to see what he will do on a trade on my 2000 2510 Mule. However the numbers work out (more on the trade or more off the RTV), I think a fair deal would be about $5K cash.

As for use - we have a 100-acre camp that we allow Scouts and church groups to camp on a couple weekends per month for free. The RTV will be used as the Mule was. Maintenance, enjoyment, transportation for adults. Our land is well drained, mostly gravel, so the WS tires will be fine.

In my thread a few weeks back I was asking about the 1140 metal roof/glass windshield. Still undecided. Sounds silly, but I like the look of the plastic roof better than the metal roof on the 1140. Problem is, you can't get a glass windshield with it.

ccmdvl1960

Well, I bought it. I ended up paying $5500 cash. The way it was written up was that I got $4400 for the trade-in of the Mule.

Turns out the U-joints were fine, not replaced - just the bearings and seals. They seemed tight. Machine drove well in all ranges, 4WD and 2WD. No rattles. Trans oil looked new, engine oil was not new, but not bad smelling, milky, etc. Some surface rust on the bed and front bumper and on the undercarriage. Tires are good. Camber on front tires looks a little off, they will check and fix.

Prior to delivery, the are painting the bed, front bumper and touching up any other spots. All fluids/filters will be changed.

I would have liked to have gotten down to $5000 cash, but, if everything gets done that they say they will do, I think it is fair.

I'll post some photos when we get it to camp on Saturday.

Thanks, two guns, for your insight.

Treehouse

Site Supporter
I'm with two guns on trying to figure out the maintenance history on the machine. The need to replace real seals, u joints, etc. May or may not be a big but figuring out how the rtv was used and if it was well maintained is pretty important with big purchase like this.

As for the price, $9,900 is not out of range for a 2009 with that amount of hours on it. It's a $15k machine and depreciation is less than $1000/yr if hours are reasonable (they are) and the vehicle was not abused and is well maintained (unkown). I've seen 2009 1140s for sale priced between 10 - 14k depending on hours and accessories. Not saying they aren't out there but I haven't seen '09 1140 for less than 10k.

Whoever got the 2012 in perfect condition with 92 hours on it got about $13,000 worth of machine for $8,800. What a great deal.

BaiJiu

Sounds to me like you got a fair deal, if you get everything they said they would do for you. As for the rust, get a few cans of corrosion protection, corrosion free 3000, krown, rust check, something along those lines and give the machine a good coat of protection before you get it too dirty.

ccmdvl1960

The dealer did not do the maintenance but sold the filters/oil to the previous owner and had sales records in the computer system for this. Since the u-joints were in fact not replaced, I checked them all and they definitely had been greased and did not seem loose. Seats were all good with no tears, sagging, etc. Levers, knobs, switches were all very good with no abnormal wear. Front and rear receiver hitches appear unused, no wear or rust on paint. There was a winch installed, but it was transferred to his new machine.

Once spring rolls around, I'll do a full wash and wax of the machine and coat the undercarriage with Fluid Film. I had it applied to my truck and have been very impressed so far.

BaiJiu

Hope you enjoy your 1140 for years to come. Geez you could put a taxi sign on that thing and make a few bucks, lol.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Well, I bought it. I ended up paying $5500 cash. The way it was written up was that I got $4400 for the trade-in of the Mule.

Turns out the U-joints were fine, not replaced - just the bearings and seals. They seemed tight. Machine drove well in all ranges, 4WD and 2WD. No rattles. Trans oil looked new, engine oil was not new, but not bad smelling, milky, etc. Some surface rust on the bed and front bumper and on the undercarriage. Tires are good. Camber on front tires looks a little off, they will check and fix.

*** Prior to delivery, the are painting the bed, front bumper and touching up any other spots. All fluids/filters will be changed.

*** if everything gets done that they say they will do, I think it is fair.
QUOTE]

Hey, done good ...$4400 trade-in on a 14 year old machine ....
(What did it even go for back then in 2000)

Also, what I have read on the follow up on your"test-firing" of the RTV. And the
records of his supplies for service, driving well and actually hands on inspection.
The adding of the dealer service, paint, and not having to replace tires etc.
I would say, yes, Fair Deal !!!!

If there is anything we as members can do to help, please ask. That is what we are all about !!!

I am proud for you. Nothing like a RTV !!!!:wave:

.......... two guns

Attachments

• EMU.jpg
    EMU.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 121

BaiJiu

Now two guns that is not pretty, you could set it beside the roughest looking RTV and make it look good.

ccmdvl1960

Thanks, everyone. I have wanted one of these since they came out. The time has finally arrived (and with no payments)! This machine should work out very well for us. We are excited. Looking forward to using the RTV and contributing to the forum now that I have one of these machines.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone. I have wanted one of these since they came out. The time has finally arrived (and with no payments)! This machine should work out very well for us. We are excited. Looking forward to using the RTV and contributing to the forum now that I have one of these machines.

RTV's will put a glowing smile on your face !!!!
I am very happy for you !!!!

............. jamie

Attachments

• Rocking Frog.gif
    Rocking Frog.gif
    127.4 KB · Views: 109

ccmdvl1960

We picked up the 1140 today. What a wintery day it was! I have yet to see this machine in person with no snow on it. It may be a while at this rate! Anyhow, here are a few photos. Mrs. ccmdvl1960 approves! The machine goes very well in the snow.

Plans for spring include top, windshield, overhead counsel, replace rear mudflaps (torn), continue paint touch up, wash, wax, Fluid Film, and use!

The dealer did paint the interior of the bed, still debating on spray-in bedliner. Not sure if it would mess up the conversion.

BaiJiu

I have the spray in liner in mine and I really like it, it's tough and cosmetically it keeps the back looking good. If you don't go with the liner at least lay down some plywood, rubber mat etc. it will really help. Keeps things reasonably quiet as well.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Congratulations!!
I Really like your machine !!!!

Now, we need to talk about them hand mits/gloves.
I need a set of them fuzzy things.

Where did you find them !!!

I have several of the Mad Bomber hats to keep head warm.
But yet have found a nice set of gloves that does the job ....