2wd or 4wd

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I got my RTV I tried it in both 2wd and 4wd. Then I moved it to 2wd for general use. Then last summer every time I took the RTV out I had to pass through 3 giant mud holes. I got stuck in 2wd. 4wd makes it through no problemo.

So I left the RTV in 4wd from then until now. We had enough snow for me to try to do a few doughnuts so I switched back to 2wd and gave it a shot. (I failed ...tires are to aggressive and RTV might be a tad heavy for that kind of play) ....but it got me thinking. Is there much difference on wear and tear on the RTV drive train that I should regularly switch from 4wd to 2wd when I'm not going down that road with the giant mud holes?

Do you guys run 2wd all the time unless 4wd is required?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doc. I use 2 wd unless I am in a sticky situation. If I feel my rear wheels sort of "swishing" I am wishing that I already had engaged it. My winter tires are very aggressive so most all is 2wd though. I think it wears out the front end to use it all the time and I am in the thought that high speed 4wd is not a good thing for trucks nor RTV's.. collie

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Doc:

Most times I run in 2WD with my 1100. I only use the 4WD if the rear wheels start to slip. I have the OEM worksite tires and am mostly on hardpack trails, gas line roads or open fields. This winter I put tire chains on the rear tires and I love them. I haven't gotten stuck yet.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I Is there much difference on wear and tear on the RTV drive train that I should regularly switch from 4wd to 2wd when I'm not going down that road with the giant mud holes?

Do you guys run 2wd all the time unless 4wd is required?

Yes, there is a difference on wear and tear.

I ONLY run mine in 2 WD, unless I am coming to something that might need the extra assist.
When I get OUT of situation, either it be mud hole, loading up on trailer with the ramps, or going up a very steep hill. As soon as I go threw, I instantly take the RTV out of 4 WD and go back into 2 WD ...... Just that quickly.
Will not run the equipment, being RTV or tractor in 4WD unless we have to.

Not only does it save stress, wear and tear, it also saves fuel.

And PLEASE, don't run in 4WD on hard blacktop or concrete. You are asking for troubles. Putting stress and putting the drive train in a bind when in a turn.
Most owner manuals tells this. Don't think Kubota even tell this in theirs .....

............ two guns

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll join the group that says 2WD unless 4WD is needed. Once not needed, back to 2WD.

Mark.Sibole

In the summer in in 2 wd all the time.In the winter here which is from about November 1 to april im in 4wd all the time.With the snow we get and the plowing i do 4wd is a must.Ive run it like this since 2004 and have not seen any problems with wear on the front end.Ive only been through 1 front drive shaft in all the years of running in 4 wd.Ive been through a few sets of rear u joints but that is common wear on the Bota.It all depends on your conditions.In the snow where you will have some slip it will NOT hurt it but if on dry ground where the tires bite hard it can tend to wear things out.So it all depends really on your local conditions for dryness or slickness.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I do know not to run 4wd on pavement and I have no pavement that I drive on so no issues there. I have a hill that might need 4wd but I've never tried 2wd since the hill in question is right after the big mud holes. One way or another I plan to have those big mud holes fixed so they are little mud holes or better yet goneski by next summer so then i know I can keep it in 2wd the majority of the time.

BaiJiu

I'm with the others, 2 wheel drive unless I really need 4 wheel drive, my wife on the other hand has this thing about 4 WD she got stuck a few times and now she thinks 4 WD rules.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Doc,
After using it for a while you'll get know when to switch to 4wd.

4wd all winter just makes sense.

The trick is knowing when to use 4wd.

Before you get stuck.

So if it looks nasty, switch to 4wd first, then proceed.

Most times you'll get through using a little aggressive driving.

Switching to 4wd in the middle of the puddle usually means you get 'more stuck'.

Fun eh!