RTV Front Axle

CarrotRentals

My 2005 RTV with 1800 hours developed front end issues. As the unit was driven it felt as though the front wheels were wobbling. Drained and refilled the transaxle case. After about an hour of use there after a noise developed in the front of the machine. The oil that was just replaced in the transaxle was ashen and contaminated with metal filings. Just got done pulling the axles and differetial case from the machine. Identified a warn u-joint near the transaxle case. It looks like the entire front drive shaft will need to be replaces as the u-joints do not look servicable. I will break apart the transaxle case tomorrow to look for wear.

Any practical advice about what to look for? This is my first major repair with an RTV.

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1015811232.jpg
    image-1015811232.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 127

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
You likely have a bearing in the front case that disintegrated or seized and is chewing up the case. Never seen one apart so I can only go on what I have seen in other equipment.

BaiJiu

I can't help with this but I am certain others will jump in before too long, I'm interested to hear what they have to say as well.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
My advise is. Don't go cheap while you got it down.

Replace all bearings, races, seals. And clean out inside case VERY GOOD.
It need to be NO shavings left behind..... NONE !!!!

At 1800 hours, 2005 model RTV, you the sole owner ?

......... two guns

Attachments

• LAST THNG.jpg
    LAST THNG.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 117

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I hate to hear that CarrotRentals. As Two Guns said while it is apart, give it the once over, I would probably replace the boots if they have age cracks in the veins while it is all apart too. My 05 had age cracks in the bottom of those boot veins- hard to see but there... I see your drive shaft there... does it have a lot of play in it's joints too? Hate to mention also but check that darn carrier bearing there where the front shaft connects to the rear shaft .. there at the plate . I have a post on here if any info is needed on that... I hate hearing of your misfortune at any rate.. Good Luck to you and just take a deep breath and take your time. collie

Mark.Sibole

if your refering to the front u joints on the drive shaft and the yokes look OK they can be replaced .I dont have the part number off hand for the precision but its in one of my posts.Ive replaced mine with no problems.

Mark.Sibole

autozone part # 1-0028dl

Trw-20128

Spicer s -1500x

and of course percision 392
I used the precision 392 but the rest should cross reference with them

CarrotRentals

Thanks everyone for your help. Everything checked out okay when I broke open the transfer case and the issue seems to be limited to the u joint. Will replace the u joint and check everything carefully while It is apart. Learned a lot about my machine.

BaiJiu

I am happy to hear things worked out so well for you, it's a lot more fun to spend money enjoying your machine than repairing it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Great to hear Carrot!!! :) By the way, as an aside, There is a fix" for the old style drive shaft rattle on line, if you ever need it. it is referred to as corneju fix or something close but I am sure I misspelled the name. I just put a piece of split heater hose and cable tie on my '05's spline behind the ujoint , with a washer to keep it out of the bearings, and it put just enough pressure on the u joint to quiet the rattle. Anyway, I am sure glad you found the problem. :) collie