"Cheap" vs. "Expensive"

What sort of hand tools do you own? What sort do you PREFER?

I broke open the piggy bank years ago and invested in a good selection of Snap-On (w/ a few MAC tools) hand tools. I have a few "less expensive" Craftsman tools that reside in the tractor tool boxes, but the shop has nothing short of as good as I can get. I deserve the best:mrgreen:

It took death threats to keep my son and 2 sons-in-laws from removing anything from the shop.:soapbox:

JDA 3020

Most everything is craftsman, but I also have some snap-on, mac, and matco. I'd prefer snap on but I don't make a living with my mechanics tools.

Mith

I'm definitely with the expensive tools group.

I bought lots of 'decent' tools, the sort of mid range ones. Then tools that I use often I replace with expensive ones. I don't see the point in spending a fortune on a tool that I will use very rarely.
I have decent tools for common uses, and heavy duty uses. Nothing more annoying than a tool breaking when you need to get out fast.

I wont buy Snap-on though, its so hard to get hold of the snap-on guy to replace broken tools that its not worth it, so why should I pay the extra coin for them. Teng stuff is just as good (or nearly anyway) and I can get it replaced at a shop in town, its a little cheaper too, presumably because it doesn't have such a well known name.

Some of the cheaper tools are pretty good too. My 'decent' socket set is as strong as I've needed so far. I've had 6' poles on the end of the T bar and jumped on them. I have yet to split one. Snap-on sockets on the other hand, I've seen them split and round out. As yet I haven't felt the need to replace any of my sockets with Teng ones, the ratchets could do with replacing though.

B

bczoom

For hand tools, like others, I don't use them for a living so most of mine are of the Craftsman variety.

For me, it's the larger tools that matters more when it comes to quality. From the power tools on up I prefer to run with quality tools & brands.
DeWalt, Milwaukee... for corded/cordless power tools. Stihl, Husqvarna, Honda... for gas engined machines.

PBinWA

I have a mix of cheap, inherited, and medium quality tools. A few "good" tools but nothing professional. I do not pretend to be a professional so I can't justify top of of the line. I'm a big advocate of "good enough". If you can get by with 90% capacity it may be difficult during those 100% demand times but it's a calculated gamble. ;)

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Wrenches and sockets sets are almost all Proto with a few each of Craftsman, Snap On, Cornwell and MAC. Most screwdrivers, pliers and spud wrenches are Klein. Handheld power tools are Milwaukee, Makita and Craftsman. Table saw and miter saw are Delta and drill press is Craftsman. For electronic work Xcelite.

Jim

Dougster

Old Member
What sort of hand tools do you own? What sort do you PREFER?
Everything is relative... and these days an expensive tool for me is generally one that comes out of my local Sears store. Other than for a number of old Bonney tools from the days when Bonney was still in business and my Dad sold them... Craftsman has become the American handtool of choice when my wallet is full (or at least not completely empty). I never jumped on the Snap-On bandwagon although I would have liked to. The used tool store near my GF's house may one day price a few low enough to where I could enjoy that high distinction of owning some of the very best tools ever made. :)

Even though I am now dirt poor, I still go out of my way to Buy American at every turn... but my fallback, when absolutely necessary, has been some very high quality Taiwanese tools. In fact, I have had extremely good luck with Taiwanese air tools. I will also sheepishly admit that there are a few limited-use tools out in the garage that only made sense to buy Chinese. In many cases, that was all that was available without the proverbial "nationwide search"! Some are throw-aways. Others are oversize. All are a serious embarrassment as far as I am concerned. :eek:

Dougster

Mark777

Snap On, Mac, S&K Wayne, Proto for my Air Tools, speciaty hand tools and sockets, wrenches, ratchets and braker bars. I use inexpensive items like pry-bars etc and replace them often. I also have some Craftsman and they are pretty decent tools IMHO.

I only have the high end tools because I did make a living with them.

Being the son of a mechanic I don't think I really had a choice. I was always told that cheap tools will eventually lead to skinned knuckles, and a paying job waithng for you to replace the cheap tools. That said Snap On is the number one choice followed by Craftsman. Power tools are an assortment of Porter Cable, Makita and Milwakee. :thumb:

Ductape

All of my commonly used hand tools, wrenches,ratchets,sockets, etc. are all Snap-On. I started when in highschool and worked part time in an autobody shop. My pop did a fair amount of wrenching, and i'd have to say i learned the value of quality tools from him. That being said, i have plenty of Cornwell and Craftsman also. All of my air tools are quality brands also, though not all Snap-On.

Ductape

When i was a younger man...... on a budget, i fixed.... or perhaps i should say "tried" to fix stuff i shouldn't have with Ductape.

Stuff like the rusted-out collector on the header on my Chebby truck. No....... it didn't last more than about a minute, but i tried !!! Who'da thunk that suff would just turn to goo from the heat ??!!!

:bash: :bash:

There were other repairs that were just as good. Strangely, my friends started to refer to me as "Ductape"...... and so it stuck (so to speak!!).

When i was a younger man...... on a budget, i fixed.... or perhaps i should say "tried" to fix stuff i shouldn't have with Ductape.

Stuff like the rusted-out collector on the header on my Chebby truck. No....... it didn't last more than about a minute, but i tried !!! Who'da thunk that suff would just turn to goo from the heat ??!!!

:bash: :bash:

There were other repairs that were just as good. Strangely, my friends started to refer to me as "Ductape"...... and so it stuck (so to speak!!).

Oh my you didn't. You should send that one in to Gary Crocker. He just might put that one on the radio. You didn't give my kids Duct Tape lessons did ya. I cam home one day to find the door knob duct taped to the front door. The broke it and figured I wouldn't notice. :pat:

Ductape

I din't give them lessons....... but i would be happy to do so !!

You know..... sometimes when you are young (or old?) and just plain don't have the money to do it right, you try it even though you know ahead of time it won't work.

With that being said, i did have slightly better luck on my radiator hose !!:wave:

I din't give them lessons....... but i would be happy to do so !!

You know..... sometimes when you are young (or old?) and just plain don't have the money to do it right, you try it even though you know ahead of time it won't work.

With that being said, i did have slightly better luck on my radiator hose !!:wave:

Oh my now ya got me laughing.:yum: :yum: :yum: I found a site you would appreciate.

Ductape

And in my own defense....... i'm not a total idiot. I DID use something metal ( i think pieces of threaded rod ?) to SPLINT the exhaust back together (wrapped in the Ductape). But...... alas, it was a bunch of smoking silvery goo after only a few miles.

I hope those steel rods didn't go through anyones oil pan when they fell out on the road !!!:thumb: