I hope it's enough

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I don't use dial-up at home, but there's times it's actually worse. Living in the RV, I have no copper phone line, no cable - and can't afford a $5000 DataStorm plus $99 a month forever - it's a wireless data card for me. And most places don't have broadband speeds on wireless yet - heck, a lot of places still don't have any wireless service - like US 75 between I-35 and I-44, f'rinstance!!

Fred

Home is where the bus is....

Last edited:
You have just entered the Twilight Zone...everyone seems to be stuck in the 1980's....with Dial-Up

Well...Jay...that explains why you didn't answer the Prize Patrol from Publisher's Clearinghouse when the called your House to award you the BIG PRIZE...better luck next time...:mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
I don't use dial-up at home, but there's times it's actually worse. Living in the RV, I have no copper phone line, no cable - and can't afford a $5000 DataStorm plus $99 a month forever - it's a wireless data card for me. And most places don't have broadband speeds on wireless yet - heck, a lot of places still don't have any wireless service - like US 75 between I-35 and I-44, f'rinstance!!

Fred

Home is where the bus is....
Now Fred... If you are out there making UNTOLD MEGABUCKS doing your ERPY computer consulting thingy... surely you can afford a nifty satellite hook-up... yes??? Maybe even write if off for the business... right??? :confused:
You have just entered the Twilight Zone...everyone seems to be stuck in the 1980's....with Dial-Up Well...Jay...that explains why you didn't answer the Prize Patrol from Publisher's Clearinghouse when the called your House to award you the BIG PRIZE...better luck next time...:mrgreen:
I can't believe this. Jay is pulling our collective legs here. How can a man who is the
CHIEF METEOROLOGICAL OFFICER
of NTT be relying on telephone dial-up. It just can't be so. It's got to be a joke. :thumb:

Dougster

jbrumberg

I really do not mind not having cell phone service in my area. It cuts down on a lot of unwanted calls from various sources. I really do mind not having high speed internet connections. I started to cut down quite a few of my wife's favorite trees to access satellite broadband service which go me in a lot of trouble:shitHitsFan: with "She Who Must Be Obeyed":badidea: :hide: :sorry: . The project was unfortunately and quickly curtailed :sad: as more important things would have been cut (was his name Bobbit):eek2: :eek: . The weather data I am constantly looking at takes too long to download and ties up our telephone line which cuts down on additional unwanted calls which is not necessarily a bad thing. At least my baud rate is generally 45.2 bps. I do subscribe to a professional weather provider from which I can get specialized weather data in order to make my weather "prognostications". I can also analyze my own Dopplar radar information through this service. The cost for this hobby prevents me from affording Starbucks, a bigger tractor, and/or a B/H. As to politics I do not see much difference in the pandering regardless of party :soapbox: . I liken politicians to those practictioners of the first established profession:moon3::5boobs: . By the time I probably get broadband through any political activity we will probably all be communicating via telepathy ;) . Jay:letitsnow:

Dougster

Old Member
I really do not mind not having cell phone service in my area. It cuts down on a lot of unwanted calls from various sources. I really do mind not having high speed internet connections. I started to cut down quite a few of my wife's favorite trees to access satellite broadband service which go me in a lot of trouble:shitHitsFan: with "She Who Must Be Obeyed":badidea: :hide: :sorry: . The project was unfortunately and quickly curtailed :sad: as more important things would have been cut (was his name Bobbit) :eek: . The weather data I am constantly looking at takes too long to download and ties up our telephone line which cuts down on additional unwanted calls which is not necessarily a bad thing. At least my baud rate is generally 45.2 bps. I do subscribe to a professional weather provider from which I can get specialized weather data in order to make my weather "prognostications". I can also analyze my own Dopplar radar information through this service. The cost for this hobby prevents me from affording Starbucks, a bigger tractor, and/or a B/H. As to politics I do not see much difference in the pandering regardless of party :soapbox: . I liken politicians to those practictioners of the first established profession:moon3::5boobs: . By the time I probably get broadband through any political activity we will probably all be communicating via telepathy ;) . Jay
I vote to have you restart the satellite broadband project! :) All in favor say Aye!!! :thumb:

Dougster

xPosTech

Back in the last century when I lived in Huntsville the lines were so bad I could only get about 36K.:sad: Got a DirecTV PC Duo. Really helped downloads but for just surfing around it added a little delay. It was 36K upstream and up to 300K downstream. Your page request had to go to New York:yuk: , fetch the page you were after, then an uplink to the sat and back down.:waiting:

As you approached an undefinable limit they would throttle you back slower and slower. They would not admit this, however.

I got a good price on it. I sold and installed DirecTV and Dish Network.;)

Ted

GreenMtns

Joe:

I can relate to lost "brilliance" on other sites . With dialup in western MA it is a common reality . Now if our new Gov meets his campaign "promises" someday I will benefit from broadband and maybe even cellphone service . Maybe I will someday get broadband, but somehow I think that cows will talk before I can speak on a cellphone here. Now I have probably gotten old Dougster all fired up . Jay

Oh my god Jay, I knew you were doomed the minute I read this post. Couldn't wait to see Dougster jump on it. It's that Dial-up thingy that gets him if he hasn't had enough Starbucks coffee.

Uh Dougster, I use Dial up also.
hugs, Brandi
Oh no,

You too, Brandi? :mad2:

He will go over the edge. He can't deal with the thought of waiting 10 minutes for a page to load. He can drink a full cup of coffee in that time. I thought only poor Edster was the only one that could push that button. :yum::yum:

Hi Colt77 :wave:

Welcome to a great site. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Don't listen to Brandi try to move down to TEXAS. :poke::poke::poke: :mrgreen:

We'll keep you up here in the North. She'll get you down there where it's warm and make you buy a new 4530 Mahindra so it will match your trailer.

Well OK, it is a very good tractor, but match your trailer? :badidea:

Bindian

Back in the last century when I lived in Huntsville the lines were so bad I could only get about 36K.:sad: Got a DirecTV PC Duo. Really helped downloads but for just surfing around it added a little delay. It was 36K upstream and up to 300K downstream. Your page request had to go to New York:yuk: , fetch the page you were after, then an uplink to the sat and back down.:waiting:

As you approached an undefinable limit they would throttle you back slower and slower. They would not admit this, however.

I got a good price on it. I sold and installed DirecTV and Dish Network.;)

Ted
Ted,
My ISP just did away with dial up service for Huntsville.:umbrella:
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Oh my god Jay, I knew you were doomed the minute I read this post. Couldn't wait to see Dougster jump on it. It's that Dial-up thingy that gets him if he hasn't had enough Starbucks coffee.

Oh no, You too, Brandi? :mad2: He will go over the edge. He can't deal with the thought of waiting 10 minutes for a page to load. He can drink a full cup of coffee in that time. I thought only poor Edster was the only one that could push that button. :yum::yum:
Now, first off Al... I don't normally drink coffee. I can't afford it at home and I can't afford it out. Heck, I don't even know how to make it at home!!! :eek: My preference is hot tea at an estimated cost of about 4 cents per cup. When you only make $1.57 per hour... and then only when it snows... 4 cents is just right! :thumb: The dream of having some Starbucks coffee is just that... a dream! :eek:

Secondly, even though I am old and dirt poor, even I can afford the lowest tier level of DSL service. $14.99 a month is pretty hard to beat.

Lastly, I am amazed that a weatherman of Jay's stature is living under the technical limitations imposed by telephone dial-up Internet service. Let us all pray that the quality of Jay's dial-up service is more like Brandi's (apparently acceptable) dial-up service and NOT like the Edster's laughable Backwoods, Maine dial-up service which, if you've ever monitored him tying to post even the briefest message from home, is about as effective as two cans and a very long string. :yum:

Dougster

colt77

o my gosh

I provoked a large thred.
What was super strange, the moment i hit a send buttom with my INITIAL post, I lost my dsl completely!!!! I mean we spent a couple of hours with philipino operator in Manila to fix and establish a service again.
I even thought,that I lost it before posting on this side. No, I lost it a split of second later.
Next time, I answered all questions, /took time to do it nicely/ and bingo, I lost the post.......................
Anyways, it doesn't bother me, it happens , so what!
The only problem is ,that I am very busy, remodeling my bathroom and doing emergency heat calls. Barely on the NET.
I post now...........will continue

jbrumberg

Al:

I do not have my own Dopplar radar (yet), but I can access information from all the NWS Dopplar radars in the country and look look at their data the way I want to look at it including storm tracking. I am working "She Who Must Be Obeyed" for some pretty expensive weather equipment exotica, but I have to finish my tree "project" without losing the "jewels" so to speak. Then I will be asking Dougster for his old, used teabags :mrgreen: . Jay

colt77

...............Brandi, it is my sons go cart, Doc..no for at least 7 seasons there's not a lots of snow in UP. NW part/snow belt/ yes, not in the middle of the state. Average 75 " is a history. Maybe 3 '..
Dougster, yes it is 3400 gear and by saying I exist in Chicago I mean I have a job and family here not necessary thrilled to live here. Living in UP means the total opposite. /atv heaven, for 7 months/.

Joe

Dougster

Old Member
I provoked a large thred.
What was super strange, the moment i hit a send buttom with my INITIAL post, I lost my dsl completely!!!! I mean we spent a couple of hours with philipino operator in Manila to fix and establish a service again.
I even thought,that I lost it before posting on this side. No, I lost it a split of second later.
Next time, I answered all questions, /took time to do it nicely/ and bingo, I lost the post.......................
Anyways, it doesn't bother me, it happens , so what!
The only problem is ,that I am very busy, remodeling my bathroom and doing emergency heat calls. Barely on the NET.
I post now...........will continue
I must admit that DSL has been more than acceptably reliable around here. For the money I pay them, I can't go wrong. :thumb:

Joe, are you an oil burner tech??? :confused:
Dougster, yes it is 3400 gear and by saying I exist in Chicago I mean I have a job and family here not necessary thrilled to live here. Living in UP means the total opposite. /atv heaven, for 7 months/.
Joe
Nice machine! :thumb: But that Upper Peninsula would be way too cold for me! :snow: I'd need to join the CAB brigade ASAP!!! :)

Dougster

Bindian

I must admit that DSL has been more than acceptably reliable around here. For the money I pay them, I can't go wrong. :thumb:

Joe, are you an oil burner tech??? :confused:

Nice machine! :thumb: But that Upper Peninsula would be way too cold for me! :snow: I'd need to join the CAB brigade ASAP!!! :)

Dougster
Dougster,
Here is a photo of a Cab Tractor I found that you could use.:yum::yum: It looks like it has double back doors, so you can back up to the door at Starbucks.:respect:
hugs, Brandi

Attachments

• 1952-05 Minneapolis Moline Cab Tractor.jpg
    1952-05 Minneapolis Moline Cab Tractor.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 134
Al:

I do not have my own Dopplar radar (yet), but I can access information from all the NWS Dopplar radars in the country and look look at their data the way I want to look at it including storm tracking. I am working "She Who Must Be Obeyed" for some pretty expensive weather equipment exotica, but I have to finish my tree "project" without losing the "jewels" so to speak. Then I will be asking Dougster for his old, used teabags :mrgreen: . Jay

Jay...you want to borrow mine??:mrgreen:

Attachments

• mobdop.gif
    mobdop.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 122