Summer Project

BoneheadNW

I started a summer project last week to clear approx 3/4 acres of forest to the north of my house. "Clear" isn't exactly the right word as I will be leaving some old 2nd growth stumps and substantial trees. Most of the material to be cleared consists of ferns, downed trees and branches, berry bushes, and some fairly large alder trees. I have put in approx 10 hrs so far and, while the going has been slow, I believe I have developed a system. Since the undergrowth is so dense (the downed trees and branches are not even visible most times in the thick ferns), I first must go through with a brushcutter using a brush knife attachment. Next, I cut up and haul out the downed trees, stumps, and branches with the help of the tractor (boy I would LOVE a grapple). Once that is done, I will go back through the area and take out the alders. Next, I will remove the smaller debris, such as the fern roots, to make the area ready for planting of ryegrass (on PB's suggestion). The goal is to create a pasture type area with grass amongst the larger trees.

I came up with a great idea as to where I can dump the material I am clearing. Larger trees, limbs are used to line a trail that is made by spreading out the green material (fern leaves, etc) to create a base. Not bad thinking for a bonehead!
Bone

Attachments

• DSCN7901v2.jpg
    DSCN7901v2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN7902v2.jpg
    DSCN7902v2.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN7903v2.jpg
    DSCN7903v2.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN7906v2.jpg
    DSCN7906v2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN7907v2.jpg
    DSCN7907v2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 103

PBinWA

That's going to look great Bone!

I love that old growth forest. I've planted almost 1000 trees on my property, now if I live for 30 more years I might get to see something like that! :mrgreen:

BoneheadNW

Here are 2 more pics of the trail I have started. It can get pretty hairy driving the tractor onto a two foot thick path of spongy, loose clippings!
Bone

Attachments

• DSCN7908v2.jpg
    DSCN7908v2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN7909v2.jpg
    DSCN7909v2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 101

Mith

Bone, thats a really nice bit of woodland!

If you have a topper then couldn't you just reverse it in and let it chop everything up? Seems most stuff would be pretty rotten anyway? if the topper mulched everything up it'd save you finding somewhere to put it.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's the completion of a few of ours.............. Clean and stain the house, put in new front and back lawns, extended the front porch and add lattice and siding to it.

Now I've clear more in the back of the house to put in a fire pit for summer parties. I'm missing the kegger days ...................:alc: :beer: :beer-fresh: :puke1:

Pix are before and aft ..................

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_1184_b.jpg
    100_1184_b.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_1186_b.jpg
    100_1186_b.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1187_b.jpg
    100_1187_b.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 96

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics guys. :thumb:

Bone, Once you've cleared out the downed lumber it looks like you might be able to save you back a little work by using a rotary cutter to mulch all the small growth up.
I know what you mean about scary at times on new ground. I've cleared a few trails and gone where no tractor had gone before. It gets hairy for sure. :eek:

BoneheadNW

Good pics guys. :thumb:

Bone, Once you've cleared out the downed lumber it looks like you might be able to save you back a little work by using a rotary cutter to mulch all the small growth up.
I know what you mean about scary at times on new ground. I've cleared a few trails and gone where no tractor had gone before. It gets hairy for sure. :eek:

I've never used a rotary cutter before, but the ground is so uneven due to ruts, branches, roots, and rotting trees that it is difficult just to drive the tractor in there. I am really thankful that I don't have a larger tractor as there is little room to negatiate between the trees and ruts. Between work and my allergies (peak allergy season for me right now), I am trying to put a couple of hours in every other day. I'll post more pics in a couple of weeks.

Hey Dog, love the pics of the house and hound. You sure do good work!
Bone

BoneheadNW

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted anything showing progress. First, my camera went t*ts up (the Nikon guys are working on it now) and then I spent probably 20 hrs taking out just one big stump. I will get the wife to take some pics and will post them soon. I have made quite a bit of progress, although I wish I would have been further along by this time. I have today and tomorrow off so we'll see what happens.
Cheers,
Bonehead

BoneheadNW

Well, I got my camera back and took pics, but I am unable to resize them with iPhoto. Still working on it...
Bone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey BH. If you want me to resize them for you and send em back to you just let me know.
Or ..... google "Easy Thumbnails Download" no quotes or caps needed in the search.
Then download Easy thumbnails. It will resize all pics in the target directory to a set size, and add a prefix or suffix to the file name. It's pretty darn slick, and it's free.