PB's ZTR Shopping Blog

PBinWA

2 acres of dense lush fast growing Perrenial Rye.
3 acres of pasture (I can use the tractor for that but would like to be able to use the ZTR as a backup).

I do have lots of trees though so I spend a lot of time working angles on the lawn mower.

It's really just a time thing for me. I'm getting too busy with work and don't have much free time these days.

Last edited:

PBinWA

It looks like Ferris has a promotion on right now with $500 off on the 1500Z which makes it $7199.

None of the local dealers will deal on them though! :(

PBinWA

And, how much time do you spend here and on FF?:poke:
Bone

Too much. But I'm actually working at the same time. No really - I am.

If I could write code non-stop for hours on end then I'd be really rich but for some reason I usually can only work in short bursts of concentration. Then I need to cycle through about 10 web sites, drink a cup of coffee, and I'm ready to go again. Some times I can work non-stop for hours but that is pretty rare.

BoneheadNW

Too much. But I'm actually working at the same time. No really - I am.

If I could write code non-stop for hours on end then I'd be really rich but for some reason I usually can only work in short bursts of concentration. Then I need to cycle through about 10 web sites, drink a cup of coffee, and I'm ready to go again. Some times I can work non-stop for hours but that is pretty rare.

During my previous career when I worked behind a desk, the worst time of the day for me to concentrate was between 3-5 in the afternoon. Most of my work was actually done between 8-11 am, then hunger kicked in and that was that. Now, the days are either very slow or really busy.
Bone

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PB,
The Scag is about 72" wide with the side discharge. You could knock off 8 inches if you removed the side discharge, or knock off 5 inches if you hold up the side discharge.
You might want to go with a 54" mower. Smaller can be better, and with 2 acres 54 will still get you done pretty darn quick.

PBinWA

It's a done deal (almost). I ordered a Ferris 1500Z, 25 HP Kawasaki engine, 52" deck, lights, mulch kit and a new set of Oregon Gator Mulcher Magnum blades for around $7400. It has to be shipped from NY so it will be at least a week before it shows up.

I'll finish my last round of mowing tomorrow night with my Craftsman and then it supposed to rain so I'll have a good lush lawn to put this puppy through it's paces.

From the one time I drove a Grasshopper around, I'm not expecting to be that fast on it until I've got a few mows under my belt.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats PB. You'll love it. :thumb: All it will take is 10 minutes and you'll have the hang of it. Mowing will never be the same. You'll actually look forward to it, at least for awhile. :D

Please post pics when you can. I've never seen a Ferris.

B

bczoom

Congrats!!!

It sounds like the perfect time (for you) to start a thread to discuss mowing techniques with a ZTR (as there's several techniques for your consideration).
There's also a couple techniques that will keep you from tearing up your lawn.

PBinWA

Thanks Guys,

Doc it should look something like the attached. But I'll take some pics when it arrives.

It's funny, almost all my lawn care equipment is red. I have a red Craftsman GT5000, a red Mahindra tractor, and now a red ZTR. Even most of my smaller stuff is red. I honestly don't have any color affinity (that I know of) it just sort of happens that way.

BC, I was kind of hoping I could just turn the mower on and it could mow the lawn itself. :mrgreen:

PB

Attachments

• 548lg1500low.jpg
    548lg1500low.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 6

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good. :thumb: What a beast!!!!!

I know what you mean on the color thing. Funny how that works.
Orange is far from my favorite color, but I ended up with a Simplicity, Kubota and Scag. All have orange as their primary color. :pat:
Now I have a few cans of orange spray paint and I find myself painting the yellow real blade orange. :eek: Orange is taking over my place and I'm helping it. ...maybe I should find a dear abby forum to post this in. :D

Mith

PB, I've heard that Ferris is reputed to have the best ride out there. I think you'll like it.
Should cut as smooth as glass :D

PBinWA

PB, I've heard that Ferris is reputed to have the best ride out there. I think you'll like it.
Should cut as smooth as glass :D

I hope so, I timed mowing a section of my lawn as fast as I could with my Craftsman mower the other night. I'll be timing another section tonight.

The big thing is how much my back hurt yesterday. I literally had muscle spasms in my back a few hours after mowing the lawn. I did have the mower going flat out - above the "recommended" mowing speed so it was screaming (well for a Craftsman) but I hope to mow faster than that with out the pain with the ZTR.

This was mowing one of my "good" sections of lawn. My Craftsman does have big knobby R1 style tires and I have the front tires a little hard (and 60% full of fluid) so it is not set up for the smoothest ride.

Mith

Craftsman and the lower range tractors seem to come with rubbish seats, they don't have alot of padding. I prefer the seat to lean further back than the manufacturer puts them too.
Put a custom seat mount and seat on the WH. No back pain now, even if I spend all day on it.

B

bczoom

Orange is far from my favorite color, but I ended up with a Simplicity, Kubota and Scag. All have orange as their primary color.
Are you allowed to mail (be it USPS, UPS or FedEx) spray paint? I believe I have some cans of Simplicity orange if you want them.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure about mailing paint, but thanks anyway BC. I'll pass on that offer.

You can use them for marking lines in grass. That is all I used my orange for before I got into the matching implement phase. :eek:

BoneheadNW

Looks good. :thumb: What a beast!!!!!

I know what you mean on the color thing. Funny how that works.
Orange is far from my favorite color, but I ended up with a Simplicity, Kubota and Scag. All have orange as their primary color. :pat:
Now I have a few cans of orange spray paint and I find myself painting the yellow real blade orange. :eek: Orange is taking over my place and I'm helping it. ...maybe I should find a dear abby forum to post this in. :D

A picture of Doc with his bag of orange paint:

Attachments

• ActHoffmanRainman.jpg
    ActHoffmanRainman.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 4