Radio install in new RTV 900

mikeb82992

My plan is to mount a radio package from Northern tool...the one that has two speakers and the radio mounted in a an OK looking console that goes overhead...will pull a hot off battery with a fuse block and hook it up to the always hot but put a switch in so the clock wont drain battery if the machine sits a few months (shut the switch off). Will use the hot to run the radio and radio switch will turn power on and off...that way it wont run down battery with key in acc position if I want to listen out in the field with the motor off... and no need to find a switched wire to run to radio. Just want know if that sounds right...or is there a magic wiring harness already installed that is easier to use? hard to figure out wiring on a brand new machine. What am I missing? Thanks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

I'd run hot from the battery to a fuse block then from there to the stereo. Keep it hot all the time. Definitely don't run it off the key.

Instead of buying/building all kinds of switches and gadgetry, take that $20 and get a Shumacher battery tender off Amazon and keep that on the RTV at night or during long periods of sitting.

If you have a switch in-line that will cut power to the radio, you'll lose the clock and radio pre-set functions on the radio every time you flick that switch.

If the stereo you get is pretty high power, consider swapping the battery for a deep-cycle marine battery. A 200W stereo may kill the OEM battery in a couple hours of running (unless you start the RTV and have the alternator re-charge the battery).

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
is there a magic wiring harness already installed that is easier to use? hard to figure out wiring on a brand new machine. What am I missing?

I don't know for sure; but I could swear that the newer machines are prewired for the Kubota radio/stereo stuff up in the overhead someplace....There have been write-ups on here many times about guys doing this....Before you go cutting wires maybe wait here a bit or get with a good service tech at your dealer.........God bless.........Dennis

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know for sure; but I could swear that the newer machines are prewired for the Kubota radio/stereo stuff up in the overhead someplace.
Dennis - I believe that's true on the 1100's but not the 900. There's nothing overhead from the factory on the 900 other than the ROPS.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a clock on my radio so I have it wired to my console button, directly from the battery. The switch panel on the console has breakers and I added an inline fuse just in case.. Also since I only listen to one station (K-LOVE) and maybe the weather band I just reach up and flip the switch.. no fumbling with a knob. ( I have the console mounted so access is by just dropping down the front). If I find something to add or have troubles then it will be easy to get to. . I used some of that plastic wire corrugated covering and just ran the wire from the battery up to the panel, then to it.
I have my 12 v pig tails in various locations on the RTV for spraying on the other switches and also my extra lights.
bordercollie.

Attachments

• DSCF4107.JPG
    DSCF4107.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF4108-001.JPG
    DSCF4108-001.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF3984.jpg
    DSCF3984.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 266

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
As always Miss Collie........you set the standard of......HOW TO DO IT RIGHT.........

God bless.......Dennis

mikeb82992

OK thanks

I will take your advice...will use a fuse block and pull an extra pigtail for a sprayer or whatever...almost forgot that...its a low power radio and will not draw much and will pick up a maintainer today and get it wired. Radio comes today UPS...thanks again.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Dennis :tiphat: . I believe you can never have too many pigtails .. at least if you don't use 'em all at the same time. . I also have one for my rechargeable handheld flashlight. Many years ago, I found a lost calf one night in a ravine covered with tree roots...just saw a piece of hoof sticking out. Miracle from above because at that time, I had a dinky penlight.. Now during calving time , I keep a flashlight on the 12 volt charger. ( It's mounted to the screen, upper driver's corner. and safe from rain) collie

mikeb82992

OK...got it done...fuse block off battery...can now plug attachments...did put a switch on the "switched" lead...shut the engine off with key off and turn on radio anytime I want...works like a charm...thanks for all the input

tlk

If I had it to do over again I would never spend the money to install a radio/CD player in my buggy - A good wireless speaker, my IPhone, and Pandora/Tunein radio is all that is needed for an awesome system

OrangeBuggy

I don't have a clock on my radio so I have it wired to my console button, directly from the battery. The switch panel on the console has breakers and I added an inline fuse just in case.. Also since I only listen to one station (K-LOVE) and maybe the weather band I just reach up and flip the switch.. no fumbling with a knob. ( I have the console mounted so access is by just dropping down the front). If I find something to add or have troubles then it will be easy to get to. . I used some of that plastic wire corrugated covering and just ran the wire from the battery up to the panel, then to it.
I have my 12 v pig tails in various locations on the RTV for spraying on the other switches and also my extra lights.
bordercollie.

I haven't been here long and been reading though old threads and this is the first time I've seen your hands clean. What's the deal, slacking off?.....

Mark.Sibole

LOL every one picking on poor lil Border collie lol.But your right.Clean hands???? hummmmmmmmmmmm maybe shes using a hand model now lol.