UPDATE ON UPDATE

Bill D

Nope in fact I got robed on my way home:angry3: Dam fuel price bout bankrupted me:puke1:
But sure was nice to get home.:wink:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
That damage to the piston and rod could be the ether but could also have been caused from cranking with water in the cylinder, after ether popped the head gasket.

I'm sorry to hear that project turned into such a nightmare. But after the overhaul it should run like new.

Thanks for sharing the rest of the story!

I would love to see pictures of it back in service.

Bill D

The busted piston was in the front cylinder and the bent rod was in the back cylinder and your right the back could have been done buy coolant but the broken head I believe was cracked originally by ether but whatever the cause I will not use ether ever to start my yannie:myopinion:
Oh well its done and it starts right up and purrs like a rock crusher:king: as it should.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
... purrs like a rock crusher:king: as it should.
I like that!

My own description for these is 'like several guys with sledges hammering on a manhole cover'. :mrgreen:

It's easy to see why these were superceded by 3-cylinder models. That loud, sharp racket is unbearable. In Japan where people live elbow-to-elbow the noise from Yanmar's 2-cylinder models must have become unacceptable.

If anyone thinks we are overstating the roughness of these - scroll down to the bottom of my webpage referenced below (the second vid) and listen, especially to the second half of the vid. If you're at work, turn it up loud! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: